Did Someone Say KFC?

Remove this Banner Ad

But would you be happy to go with Coles or Wollies that sell products that are far more harmful when considering obesity & diabetes?
It's a sponsor that is financially supporting our club & I'm thankful. It wont make me any more or less likely to eat there.

As I said, my objection to Collingwood and KFC is that they're low quality - just as our image rubs off on them, so too does their image rub off on us. The harmful products angle isn't one I'm interested in.

And yes we all think we're immune to advertising and this type of product association doesn't occur - but it does, that's why big money is paid for sponsorships.

As I said, my objection to Collingwood and KFC is that they're low quality - just as our image rubs off on them, so too does their image rub off on us. The harmful products angle isn't one I'm interested in.

And yes we all think we're immune to advertising and this type of product association doesn't occur - but it does, that's why big money is paid for sponsorships.

Well I've never flown Emirates or insured with CGU. So I'm pretty confident in my immunity anyway. As for low quality sponsors. They are probably the 2nd biggest fast food chain in the country. Maybe the world. They have sponsored big bash cricket for a long time now & I don't think they are a low quality sponsor at all, so I guess we won't agree on much as far as the new sponsor goes. Like I said we should be grateful for the support in these times.

Well I've never flown Emirates or insured with CGU. So I'm pretty confident in my immunity anyway. As for low quality sponsors. They are probably the 2nd biggest fast food chain in the country. Maybe the world. They have sponsored big bash cricket for a long time now & I don't think they are a low quality sponsor at all, so I guess we won't agree on much as far as the new sponsor goes. Like I said we should be grateful for the support in these times.
I meant low quality product.

I meant low quality product.
If it's a low quality product, it is one that is enjoyed by a large section of the population, and is particularly popular in Thailand, a country in which people are rather particular about their food. It's also fairly expensive in Thailand compared to local foods. As I said before, it's a big success story in the Australian market. I like the fact that it's a snack or occasional meal food enjoyed by the masses. I don't want Collingwood to be associated with ski slopes, fine wines, expensive restaurants and snobbish pursuits associated with the likes of Melbourne, or have people like Jeff Kennett running the club. The closer we can remain to our former working class heritage and the toothless image we once enjoyed, the better. It says something for the lack of genuine discussion topics that this thread has stretched to 14 pages and is still going strong.

Chickens don't cause a huge spike in insulin in your body. Sugars do.
You could eat pretty much a whole chicken & have a relatively small spike to your insulin levels.
You would get way more a insulin hit from the bun & potatoes they also serve. Not to mention deserts. Does that mean we should boycott Coles etc because they sell deserts & raw sugar?
Brother is a type 2 diabetic so I'm pretty versed on what spikes insulin levels. Meat barely does anything. I've tested many foods personally.

Yeah but, yeah but ....deep fried chicken: the coating is carb (sugars) the oils will not be the healthy type ones and off you go.

chook in itself is fine however .....

Insulin resistance diets and keto diets do wonders for type 2 diabetes and KFC won’t be on the menu.

Yeah but, yeah but ....deep fried chicken: the coating is carb (sugars) the oils will not be the healthy type ones and off you go.

Insulin resistance diets and keto diets do wonders for type 2 diabetes and KFC won’t be on the menu.

Yep the coating is the worst part of the meal as far as carbs go. Not as bad as the mashed potato or the bun though.

If it's a low quality product, it is one that is enjoyed by a large section of the population, and is particularly popular in Thailand, a country in which people are rather particular about their food. It's also fairly expensive in Thailand compared to local foods. As I said before, it's a big success story in the Australian market. I like the fact that it's a snack or occasional meal food enjoyed by the masses. I don't want Collingwood to be associated with ski slopes, fine wines, expensive restaurants and snobbish pursuits associated with the likes of Melbourne, or have people like Jeff Kennett running the club. The closer we can remain to our former working class heritage and the toothless image we once enjoyed, the better. It says something for the lack of genuine discussion topics that this thread has stretched to 14 pages and is still going strong.

While it’s going off topic a bit the more that third world countries adopt Western diets the more obese and sick they become including higher rates of type 2 diabetes. KFC is a part of that. Mind you, one can choose not to have cheap unhealthy food for the masses and not be in to fine dining, Jeff Kennett etc.

Bring on the footy season

While it’s going off topic a bit the more that third world countries adopt Western diets the more obese and sick they become including higher rates of type 2 diabetes. KFC is a part of that. Mind you, one can choose not to have cheap unhealthy food for the masses and not be in to fine dining, Jeff Kennett etc.

Funny you should mention type 2 diabetes & KFC when rice & pasta are far worse. Eaten by many more cultures than just western.

I do mainly a Keto diet. But do drink too much alcohol so it tends to be a silly thing for me.

The working class angle is a good point. And as well as being toothless, for the next 4 years - the life of the contract - we're likely to be the standard of KFC, so perhaps it is apt to be branded with low quality. Hopefully we can upgrade when we are ready to be a quality team.

Funny you should mention type 2 diabetes & KFC when rice & pasta are far worse. Eaten by many more cultures than just western.
You're mixing up what causes the condition and what triggers the biggest response to those who have the condition. Obesity in general is causal. (Not connected to sponsorship)

Sure, but are these food outlets offering 'healthy foods' going to sponsor our club?

You're mixing up what causes the condition and what triggers the biggest response to those who have the condition. Obesity in general is causal. (Not connected to sponsorship)

Insulin triggers obesity. You perhaps are mixing up type 1 & type 2?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You mean this?

"Chickens' throats are slit and the animals are dropped into tanks of scalding-hot water to remove their feathers, often while they are still conscious and able to feel pain. KFC lets frustrated factory-farm and slaughterhouse workers handle live birds, so many of the animals end up being sadistically abused." from: Why KFC? - Kentucky Fried Cruelty

What I don't understand is besides the ethical considerations ( & that's a pretty big besides) why go for unhealthy products? In case anyone didn't notice there's an obesity epidemic out there and a diabetes type 2 epidemic out there caused in large part by eating processed foods. Why be promoting unhealthy fatty foods whose advertising often targets kids?

My first job was at KFC at 15 after school and Inghams chicken was used for all the chicken delivered fresh in the truck, admittedly this was 23 years ago maybe they changed.

Sorry, I forgot; , the chickens roam around living happy fulfilling lives and willingly slit their own throats; the chickens aren't killed at all by any human intervention. ::D

Bloody what about all them innocent carrots maate?
One day they are sun baking surrounded by family when some sadistic monster comes and rips them right out of their beds and slices their scalps off whilst peeling their skin...all alive feel their screams and pain. Monster.

So what's a high quality fried chicken franchise then?

Rooster that s**t is crap.

You’re not wrong. Veal too (I don’t eat veal)
However I hope ur not casting nasturtiums on the IQ of chickens here?

As long as we're wildly digressing: veal is an inevitable byproduct of the dairy industry. If you want milk, butter, cheese then you are going to get veal. I consider veal to be a better choice than beef from an environmental standpoint because the beef industry is far worse in terms of land and water use than the dairy industry relative to the amount of food created. And if you are ethically against veal (which is totally fair enough) then you really shouldn't be eating dairy unless it's from your own cows.

Last edited:
Type 1 is genetic. Type 2 is developed, with fat cells and obesity being a massive trigger for its development. Then once you've developed it, the insulin response is what you're talking about.

No not always. Type 2 is too much insulin resistance & our wonderful health system insists on treating it the same as type 1. By giving insulin. Never underestimate the influence of big pharma on health directives.
If you have time take a look at the interview here. It explains a lot.

On this topic, I saw something very recently in US figures how about how obese folks and diabetics are dying of Covid at much higher rates than their representation in the national population.

Darwin positted it a century ago.
Many religious people don't believe in that either.
More room for the normal people sooner or later.

Darwin positted it a century ago.
Many religious people don't believe in that either.
More room for the normal people sooner or later.

Charles Darwin was a very religious man himself (true). He is buried in Westminster Abbey.

He considered that his theory on the evolution of species was compatible with the teachings of the (Protestant) Church, not contrary to it.

What's everyone's record for 'catch the KFC chicken nugget in your mouth' challenge?
Now I do a “Southern Fried Chicken” that is done in the oven. No boiling fat involved.
I will on very rare occasions sample the goods of our new sponsor.
But even then, I’m not consuming the scraps of chicken off the floor that are compressed into an unusual shape and sold off as “nuggets”.
The word “nugget” of course invoking the imagination of being something that is rare and valued. How far from the truth is that?
So my record of nugget in the mouth is zero. And will remain so for eternity.

Well laid out.

For all of us, the club is at a genuine crossroads in its history.

For too long, it’s been at the receiving end of all the thinly veiled swipes at our working class heritage, and the toothless bogan jokes as long as I can remember.

It’s hard to declare “I’m a proud Collingwood supporter” wholeheartedly without the inevitable reactions. Had enough of it. I’m sure you have too.

After years of (perceived) off-field and on-field turmoil - the club goes through a review, a public shake up.

A once-in-a-generation opportunity comes along in 2021 for the club to reset, recast, rebrand and represent itself as a new premier, upstanding outfit. What an opportunity we have together.

Club signs a promising new coaching team.
Is about to vote in a promising president.
About to pick up a promising, once-in-a- generation player.

…..And then signs on with the quintessential bogan fast food franchise.

As the Premier partner. Front of the jumper.

Did the commercial team read the room on this at all, or is this on brand for Collingwood these days?

For those who watched the announcement, it felt like we bent the knee on this one.

Sure it’s a post COVID world out there, and money helps sure, but club reputation is everything.

I’ve read both sides of the argument on here, and appreciate how the club identity is seen from different perspectives.

The deal means something different to everyone. I expected more from the club at such a critical juncture.

Thanks to all contributors. I’ll always demand the best outcomes for our club.

Soz for the late reply, I think you've summed up the clubs situation.

As far as 'choosing ' a reputable sponsor well I don't think the club had a choice. You mentioned reputation, agreed, but that ship has sailed. Our rep is already not exemplary.

Sure this year we're tracking right but we're still not shiny enough to attract a sponsor like the cancer council or tac or any of those noble sponsors.

My money is on we got the best deal available.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back