News Crows buy professional eSports team - Update: SOLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Win, lose or draw. I am glad we are out of it.

Let’s start with nailing Aussie Rules first!

Never understood this mentality, the club can focus on more than one area, it's not like our football operations team were even slightly involved with the e-sports side of things. People don't realise how much of a massive money maker this was for the club during covid. Far better than trying to gain incremental revenue via the likes of pokies and pubs like some other clubs.

Never understood this mentality, the club can focus on more than one area, it's not like our football operations team were even slightly involved with the e-sports side of things. People don't realise how much of a massive money maker this was for the club during covid. Far better than trying to gain incremental revenue via the likes of pokies and pubs like some other clubs.

the best this thing ever did was break even. And that was from an interview with Smart himself who wouldn't have downplayed any 'success' achieved. It was a resource drain, both in terms of cash and management focus. Whilst Fagan was pissing around trying to make this look like some kind of golden goose, our core reason for existence was burning to the ground under Burton and Roo.

you are right, people don’t realise! 🥳

How exactly did this make money during Covid?

You do know OPL was shut down in 2020?

Yeah nah.

Every dollar spent on non football related activities is a dollar less we have to spend on things like paying the soft cap tax.

Keep the money funnelling back into the football department rather than side gigs for me.

Yeah nah.

Every dollar spent on non football related activities is a dollar less we have to spend on things like paying the soft cap tax.

Keep the money funnelling back into the football department rather than side gigs for me.

They were implying that it made money for that purpose. Despite te fact that Smart's brag was that they reached break even in only 2 or so years. No info as to how much was blown getting to that point and then subsequent. He spoke only of a moment in time, if there was better news, he'd have not withheld it. You can be fairly confident that aoart from a brief period of near break even the business bled cash like it was going out of style. There's a reason Fagan didn't last long after it was known Chappy was being pushed out.

Look, I have no idea if this was a white elephant or a money trap for the club.

However, before saying this didn’t make money or just broke even, does any know the purchase price of the license and the sale price?

Did the value of the license increase in price?

Look, I have no idea if this was a white elephant or a money trap for the club.

However, before saying this didn’t make money or just broke even, does any know the purchase price of the license and the sale price?

Did the value of the license increase in price?
Even if it was a disaster, some openness about it would be really appreciated - and interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Sold”

is that like the Jehovah’s keep selling me a copy of the Watchtower by pushing it through my letter box?

They need to social distance themselves from my letterbox because obviously they can't read the no junk mail sign on it and I don't answer knocks at my door unless I'm expecting someone so keep knocking on weekdays because I will be at work.

You’d think even if it was slightly successful they would have released figures

Exactly. The biggest boast we've heard was from Smart saying they built a break even business in only 2 years. And I highly doubt there wasn't some internal accounting entries that helped achieve that milestone. If it had done anything worth mentioning we'd not be withholding it.

Exactly. The biggest boast we've heard was from Smart saying they built a break even business in only 2 years. And I highly doubt there wasn't some internal accounting entries that helped achieve that milestone. If it had done anything worth mentioning we'd not be withholding it.

I doubt Smart himself was being costed to the esports team despite having nothing to do with the AFL team. I imagine there'd be numerous other employees that either fully or partially had the esports as part of their work without it hitting their balance sheet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back