List Mgmt. 2021 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Some have mentioned Stocker into the midfield
I think his best role for the team is hbf his long accurate kicking in the latter half of the year was a weapon
Reminded me of Rich hate the term but quarter back like
Doc has got a bit of speed better lockdown but his kicking is so so
Saad is good kick but runs more
Williams has speed and a good kick also
But I think Stocker has more penetration and is a better decision maker
That’s not to say Stocker can’t be a great midfielder his hands are slick but the team will get more benefit short to midterm in his current role
It’s is certainly a discussion point. Stocker is a weapon with his disposal, as you allude to, particularly the direction and weighting of longer passes. Lends him to be midfielder or a rebounding, play making half back. The problem arises with our list balance. Williams was recruited as a midfielder, but has effectively reverted to a half back flank. Saad is a running, rebounding half back as well. It could be argued as Doc’s best role and Newman’s. If Stock is played in defence, it would more likely be in the last line. His physical hurt factor is another strength, but being forced to cover and defend rather than rebound is under utilising him in my opinion. With Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewett and one or two of Kennedy, Dow, Carroll, Setterfield, Philp and/ or a couple/few more options the midfield is also going to be a No Vacancy scenario.

Voss and company are going to be spoiled for options and it will be super interesting to see what structure they come up with.

Last edited:
It’s is certainly a discussion point. Stocker is a weapon with his disposal, as you allude to, particularly the direction and weighting of longer passes. Lends him to be midfielder or a rebounding, play making half back. The problem arises with our list balance. Williams was recruited as a midfielder, but has effectively reverted to a half back flank. Saad is a running, rebounding half back as well. It could be argued as Doc’s best role and Newman’s. If Stock is played in defence, it would more likely be in the last line. His physical hurt factor is another strength, but being forced to cover and defend rather than rebound is under utilising him in my opinion. With Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewett and one or two of Kennedy, Dow, Carroll, Setterfield, Philp and/ or a couple/few more options the midfield is also going to be a No Vacancy scenario.

Voss and company are going to be spoiled for options and it will be super interesting to see what structure they come up with.
Agree very interesting and exciting times ahead, our new coaches will evaluate and ascertain the realistic potential of our youngsters.
I’m expecting better development & some significant signs from our more exciting young talent , along with a list overhaul too , over next few seasons it’s necessary.

Darcy Parish was seen as all but a write off until this season....

He was taken in the '15 draft, 2 drafts before Dow and LoB....so he's 24 with 50+ more games under his belt.

But, for sure, it's hard to be patient!

Darcy Parish was a star from his first season, what is it with Carlton people saying opposition draftees who averaged more than 20 possessions in his first season are crap?

Pretty sure from what Cook said today is that we can't just discard Jones - have to use the SSP.
Yeah Jones retirement announcement came after our last list lodgement so as far as the AFL is concerned he is still on our list until the next list lodgement date which is after the draft so we can only take the 1 pick in the draft.

I think you'll notice the impact of Teague's idea on how his body should be built and how he should play the wing position...

O'Brien in draft year
03-Tomorrows-Heroes-04-Lochie-OBrien-graphic.jpg

O'Brien on draft night
Paddy-Dow-Lochie-OBrien-415x285.jpg

O'Brien in 2019
moCfefdj.jpg

O'Brien in mid-2020
17CaAd20MRP432754031.JPG

O'Brien in late-2020
7lqlNgiMqQwBNWxEh59a.jpg

O'Brien in 2021
maxresdefault.jpg

Pre-draft highlights:

1637561394267.jpeg
Obrien in 2022 pre season, if you zoom in he looks to have developed a fair bit in terms of muscle definition after adding some bulk last year.

Darcy Parish was a star from his first season, what is it with Carlton people saying opposition draftees who averaged more than 20 possessions in his first season are crap?
please......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1285251
Obrien in 2022 pre season, if you zoom in he looks to have developed a fair bit in terms of muscle definition after adding some bulk last year.
Bulk was added in 2020, to the point where had joint and soft tissue injuries. Been a slow process to rectify that, but yes the results look good.

Parish first 5 seasons - fairly consistent 20 disposals, 3+ tackles per match each season from the first. Not a star by any means. But was a serviceable player.
His 2021 output jumped considerably 30 disposals, 4 tackles per match, and he ended up 5th in the brownlow.

Stats aren't everything, and these are an extremely simplistic view, but Parish's starting base is considerably higher than LOB & Dow. Both players (in a similar fashion to Parish) have been fairly consistent over their first 4 seasons. But at a lower level of output. LOB 13 disposals, 1.3 tackles. Dow 14 disposals 2.6 tackles. Both at times have showed glimpses, Dow moreso than LOB, but well below Parish's first 5 years.

I live in hope that one or both will have a breakout year, but it will need to be a considerable improvement. We don't need them to have seasons like Parish's 2021, but we do need to see them both getting a lot more of the ball than they do now.

sps was never considered a star - nor should parish have been early days.............
SPS: On this board he was often referred to in those terms, which, for a player that played a few good games - the hype around him was excessive.
Parish: was at worst a solid contributor and wasn't considered a write off prior to taking his game to another level.

SPS: On this board he was often referred to in those terms, which, for a player that played a few good games - the hype around him was excessive.
Parish: was at worst a solid contributor and wasn't considered a write off prior to taking his game to another level.
I will respond this one extra time before coming for you with a hickory handled mattock...........all of sps's support was qualified with "if onlys" & "wait untils"

Some have mentioned Stocker into the midfield
I think his best role for the team is hbf his long accurate kicking in the latter half of the year was a weapon
Reminded me of Rich hate the term but quarter back like
Doc has got a bit of speed better lockdown but his kicking is so so
Saad is good kick but runs more
Williams has speed and a good kick also
But I think Stocker has more penetration and is a better decision maker
That’s not to say Stocker can’t be a great midfielder his hands are slick but the team will get more benefit short to midterm in his current role

The other thing about Stocker is ground level contested ball. He is really comfortable in that space and has the strength in the legs to hold his ground. We need that in our back 6/7. With Jones gone we have too many receivers around the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back