Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
1637610816612.png

Adelaide national recruiting manager Hamish Ogilvie says the Crows have locked in their targets for Wednesday’s national draft.

Saying the Crows will target speed and power, especially to add to the midfield, Ogilvie did hint that Josh Rachele — who has been in constant conversations with key Adelaide figures — does possess that.

But he says the club has developed contingencies just in case an unlikely curveball presents itself come draft time.

Ogilvie and the Crows recruiting team have presented Adelaide’s coaches and key football staff with who they are hoping to select at pick 4, most likely pick 6 after father-son bids come in.

Adelaide bound? Josh Rachele at the family orchard in East Shepparton. Picture: Michael Klein

Adelaide bound? Josh Rachele at the family orchard in East Shepparton. Picture: Michael Klein

Ogilvie said while it was unexpected, the Crows did have some contingency plans just in case there was an opportunity to trade up or even down.

“We’ve got some strategy off to the side if, and I think it’s a big if, if we may trade up or down,” he said.

“It’s not like the old days where we used to line them up and tick them off.

“You can’t get too locked into a target in case something changes. You have to be flexible, there could be a move up or down or a big move out to accumulate some picks in the future.

“We have done a lot of trading in the past but I suspect we won’t do as much as we’ve had because we don’t have as much stock this year given we have brought (Jordan) Dawson in, we have also brought in (Nick) Murray and (Patrick) Parnell as well this year.”

Could the Crows make a play to move up the order to get Finn Callaghan? Picture: Michael Klein

Could the Crows make a play to move up the order to get Finn Callaghan? Picture: Michael Klein
The Crows have contingency plans just in case there is an opportunity to trade up or even down.

The Crows have contingency plans just in case there is an opportunity to trade up or even down.

The Crows did try and get North Melbourne to part with pick 1 to snare South Australian Jason Horne-Francis, but the Kangaroos rejected their offer.

Ogilvie said the Crows had some interest in GWS’ No. 2 pick, but there was nothing advanced.

“We’ve had some discussions about that but nothing has been locked in, nobody wants to do anything until the night,” he said.

“There was very minimal talk in the pick trade period regarding movement.

“We are covered in case something happens on the night... we’ve had some discussions with other clubs.”

A move up there would allow the Crows to take Sandringham’s Finn Callaghan, likened to Marcus Bontempelli.

But Adelaide has been in regular contact with Murray Bushrangers excitement machine Rachele, with the 180cm forward/midfielder saying he is keen to go to the Crows with their first pick.

Rachele has spoken constantly with the Adelaide Crows. Picture: Michael Klein

Rachele has spoken constantly with the Adelaide Crows. Picture: Michael Klein

Ogilvie said the Crows were hoping for some speed and power through the midfield and on the outside of the midfield with their first pick.

“Josh like those other players at the top of the draft like Wanganeen (Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera), Horne-Francis and Callaghan, are very talented,” he said.

“He clearly has some speed and power… but I can’t get too locked in to one player just in case it doesn’t happen.”

Ogilvie also said the Crows were prepared to bid on Collingwood father-son prospect Nick Daicos, after making the Western Bulldogs pay up for Jamarra Ugle-Hagan last year.

“If we bid on Nick it’s because we rate him highly and would like him at the Adelaide Footy Club,” he said.

“I’m sure they will match but if it gets to that we are prepared to.”

The Crows second pick is currently at 33 and Ogilvie said he was confident they could also find a midfield with speed and power at that selection.

“I think this is not a bad draft for players of that type,” he said.

“We have addressed the talls over the last couple of years so I think we are OK in that area.”

Adelaide could make three, or even four picks at the draft, with the ability to promote Ben Keays and Jordon Butts off the rookie list to free up a spot.

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
Should we trade pick 7 for West Coast's 10 and 35?

That way we can still get a good player at 12 and we trade our later second rounders to get 21 and 24

The trouble is we end up with later second rounders no one wants or values potentially
I think we can get a few clubs involved and look to trade 7 & 15 and we could end up with 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 & 28. Just makes more sense to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back