The Front Bar - Cricket Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I really hope they do it for the entire season, it's soo good!!!

I went Guildford to see Surrey play Warwickshire in a Sunday League game when Lara was in the middle of the golden run of centuries that included his 501 and he made a scratchy three ball duck.

Part of me hopes they ask Botham about commentating alongside Ian Chappell. It's probably the most painfully awkward commentary stint in channel 9's 40 years covering cricket.

Should be good. Botham's a great bloke. It always disappoints me that two of the men I've admired the most in cricket, Botham and Chappell, can't stand each other.
I was at a test at Trent Bridge in the early 2000s , steadily rained the whole time .
Botham walked near us so we yelled to him ' beefy come over for a chat we will buy you a beer ' he had a good laugh .

20 minutes later he reappeared and came over for a chat and a photo , seemed a really friendly guy . He asked if us aussies wanted a ball by ball rundown of Headingly 81 😳

Part of me hopes they ask Botham about commentating alongside Ian Chappell. It's probably the most painfully awkward commentary stint in channel 9's 40 years covering cricket.

I recall Thommo saying in an interview once that most of Botham's mates are also Chappelli's mates, and it annoyed the hell out of him that the two of them wouldn't speak to each other. They had a run in about 40 years ago and you'd think they would have mellowed by now :)

I recall Thommo saying in an interview once that most of Botham's mates are also Chappelli's mates, and it annoyed the hell out of him that the two of them wouldn't speak to each other. They had a run in about 40 years ago and you'd think they would have mellowed by now :)
That age hasn't mellowed either of them is part of their appeal.

I was at a test at Trent Bridge in the early 2000s , steadily rained the whole time .
Botham walked near us so we yelled to him ' beefy come over for a chat we will buy you a beer ' he had a good laugh .

20 minutes later he reappeared and came over for a chat and a photo , seemed a really friendly guy . He asked if us aussies wanted a ball by ball rundown of Headingly 81 😳

I'll tell you something about Botham. Some time ago our cricket club was celebrating our centenary season and was looking for a guest speaker at the function. One of our "well-to-do" members had a wife who did business with the wife of Botham. He put the feelers out, and to our delight, Botham agreed to do the job.

In those days, the fee for a guest speaking role for an international cricketer was upwards of $20,000. As luck would have it, Botham was flying from England to New Zealand at the time, and agreed to stop off in Adelaide for the function. All he asked was a bottle of wine from the member's private collection. So it cost the club nothing.

Botham flew in, gave an entertaining talk, mixed with all the members, it was a great night. He was under no obligation, and could have asked for a hell of a lot more, but he didn't. It was a fine gesture from a fine man. Always loved watching him play cricket, but he escalated in my estimation of him after that.

And in Thommo's most articulate way he describes it as a 'pain in the a*se for everyone else ' 🙂

Funny thing is Chappell and Botham can't even agree on how their feud started.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny thing is Chappell and Botham can't even agree on how their feud started.

I agree. Having spent time with both of them in social surroundings, I'm almost certain if they had a beer together and a laugh, it would all be forgotten. I guess they are two very determined and almost stubborn human beings :)

Beefy was good value as always, he was one of my favourite cricketers as a kid growing up in the 80s and he has some great stories to tell.

Some great footage of his legendary match changing ton at Headingly in 81 and him hooking Thommo without a helmet and smashing Merv in 86/87.

He was a great bowler too, we were spoiled back in the 80s with the likes of Botham, Hadlee, Kapil Dev and Imran Khan, 4 of the GOAT all rounders.

I can't remember if it was on Nine but there was a stint recently where somehow Boycott and Chappelli ended up in the box at the same time. Chappelli immediately went for the jugular (can't remember exactly what, might have been personally attacking him for running Randall out on debut) and Boycott then filibustered the rest of the segment with a pointless anecdote not letting anyone get in a word edgewise and they kept them from being in the box the rest of the time.

I can't remember if it was on Nine but there was a stint recently where somehow Boycott and Chappelli ended up in the box at the same time. Chappelli immediately went for the jugular (can't remember exactly what, might have been personally attacking him for running Randall out on debut) and Boycott then filibustered the rest of the segment with a pointless anecdote not letting anyone get in a word edgewise and they kept them from being in the box the rest of the time.

I know Chappell didn't like the way Boycott played the game, which makes his relationship with Botham even more difficult to understand. Chappell would have loved the way Botham played cricket. I recall 1970-71 the MCC played South Australia at Adelaide Oval, this was the season Barry Richards played for South Australia. Not bad having Richards and the Chappell brothers in your top 4.

Anyway, Boycott took the best part of 2 days plundering a laborious 173 and there was a comment from Ray Illingworth along the lines of Boycott being the best opening bat in World cricket. The next day Richards carved out 224 in half the time, and I remember Chappell emphasizing the point that Richards was actually the best opening bat in world cricket :)

You talk about people who don't like each other together in the commentary box. Jardine and Bradman were seated together in the press box in Australia in 1954. Apparently they never spoke much, but when they did speak, it was only about the cricket, and they were in total disagreement on every point. :)

I went Guildford to see Surrey play Warwickshire in a Sunday League game when Lara was in the middle of the golden run of centuries that included his 501 and he made a scratchy three ball duck.
I went to Lords to see Viv Richards at his peak play for Somerset against Middlesex. He made a paltry 8.
I loved watching Derek Underwood for Kent Vs Somerset making a mess of Viv and finally clean bowling him
for single figures. Underwood was lethal on his day.

Rod Marsh is tomorrow night's guest. On ''Benaud to Border'', they show Rod Marsh being interviewed whilst in the shower talking about the lot of a cricketer in the 1970's. I can see that being shown tomorrow.

Would like to see Rodney Hogg on the Front Bar. Very funny man who hates a drink and would be well suited in that environment.
I've got a signed copy of The Whole Hogg and underneath his signature he's written 41@12.85, 79/79 Don't f***en forget it.

I've got a signed copy of The Whole Hogg and underneath his signature he's written 41@12.85, 79/79 Don't f***en forget it.
Was at a Boxing Day test a few years ago and Hoggy walked up to the bar, bought a couple of beers and stood there for about 20 minutes drinking, talking with strangers around him. Just seems like a rippa bloke who loves to have a yarn with anyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back