List Mgmt. 2021 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

It was interesting looking at Twomey's phantom draft and the players available near our first pick.

It seems like the half backs are Wilmont, Brown and Chesser.
And the mids are Sonsie (though probably gone), Butler, Howes, Goater, Knevitt, Draper, McDonald and Zac Taylor.

If we overlook those mids for a half back flanker, then I am guessing we are relatively happy with the mids likely available in the 30s.

Last edited:
It was interesting looking at Twomey's phantom draft and the players available near our first pick.

It seems like the half backs are Wilmont, Brown and Chesser.
And the mids are Sonsie (though probably gone), Butler, Howes, Goater, Knevitt, Draper, McDonald and Zac Taylor.

If we overlook those mids for a half back flanker, then I am guessing we are relatively happy with the mids likely available in the 30s.
Seems to me that Chesser, Wilmot and Brown are fairly different creatures with different things to offer. I'm surprised Brown would be rated that high as he seems a pretty standard defender. I'd be happy enough with either of the other two, but have a preference for Chesser as he seems to fit well in a JMac type role. Very clean by hand and foot.
That group of mids doesn't really get me very excited, except Taylor or maybe if Roberts slips a bit?
There are a few good'uns likely at our third pick so I suspect we'll go tall with our second unless we push up into the 20s. If we do that I have no idea who we might be chasing unless we expect JVR or Aleer to fall there. Bazzo or Dean look more likely around 30+.
Bring it on before we all go crazy!

The Royal Teddy Richards Appreciation Society has reportedly signalled their sadness at the lack of respect for medium defenders on bigfooty.

Society President Leo Barry & Treasurer Craig Bolton are expected to make an offical statement shortly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In recent drafts we have continued to top up with half back flankers and mids that can run with the ball.

I suppose it is a dangerous attacking threat to have someone at half back who can use the ball well or run it out of defence.
I fondly remember watching Tadgh & Lewis Jetta charge out of half back. It was electric.

And of course, they both helped us win a flag.

I acknowledge we now have Blakey, but I certainly wouldn’t be disappointed if we drafted Sinn or a defender of that ilk with genuine speed. We tried previously with Ling, but I wouldn’t mind us trying again.

It is, but with Blakey and McInerney we don't really need more.

I like those two as our rebounding half-backs for the next decade. Literally couldn't get a pair whose strengths and weaknesses complement each other as well as those two do. But maybe we want some flexibility. If Blakey has to play a more contested role in defence (this won't be often, but a smart opposition coach might try and force Blakey into that), or McInerney is up on the wing more for whatever reason, could be good to have another option. Basically what Lloyd is right now, and given he's 28, finding the replacement for him as the "third amigo" so to speak off half back wouldn't be a bad idea.

Worth remembering that we are predominantly a defensive transition team. That is the backbone of our ball movement until we can improve our clearance work in the midfield (the pieces of which I think we already have in place with Mills, Rowbottom, Warner etc. it's just about letting them develop - we were still sixth this year for clearances and that was without all three of them for chunks of the year. Ideally we want to get in that top four bracket.)

It will be interesting to see what our game plan looks like when we become as efficient in winning clearances from the centre and stoppages as we are at rebounding from defensive 50. Could be an incredibly potent team, or it could be two strengths taking away from each other. Look forward to finding out either way.

It is, but with Blakey and McInerney we don't really need more.

We have got Blakey and Mcinerney at half back. And Campbell, Stephens and Florent on the wing. So we are not lacking players there. But we do seem to be continuously topping up in that area.

Last year Campbell was an obvious pick but we also got Malachy. Previous year we had Stephens as a running mid, Gould as potentially a attack minded defender and Rowles as a running half back. 2018 we got Mcinerney and Foot who were good ball runners and Reynolds who played half back.

It just seems to be an area that we are continuously trying to strengthen, even if it is with late speculative picks.

Maybe they feel they need that against current defensive setups. Where they feel they need good ball use off half back or multiple running players creating an extra man.

Last edited:
When Dalrymple was recently on an aflnswact.com podcast the first two things he mentioned in regard to recruiting was where is the game going and what does the coach value in players?*

I think we have obviously determined that skills are a key aspect of our game plan and Longmire clearly likes a rebounding HB line (and having plenty of options to roll through HB/wing).

eDPS mentioned above that Knevitt and Goater (along with Sonsie) would be his 3 tips for our first pick.
The first two guys are big in stature and have good speed, but I'm less convinced on their composure/decision making and disposal.
Sonsie certainly has the skills, but more than one comment has been made on his application and whether he is a 'conditional' player (something that would surely raise Longmire's hackles).
I'm not sure if eDPS considered the bigger mids as JPK replacements, but my sense is that inside bulls are not necessarily going to be a target.

I'd offer up Taylor, Chesser and Wilmot as my tips for our first pick, depending on whether we target a mid or run.

* Interview takeaways here; https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2021-draft-and-trade-hypotheticals.1259573/post-72952096

Last edited:
When Dalrymple was recently on an aflnswact.com podcast the first two things he mentioned in regard to recruiting was where is the game going and what does the coach value in players?*

I think we have obviously determined that skills are a key aspect of our game plan and Longmire clearly likes a rebounding HB line.

eDPS mentioned above that Knevitt and Goater (along with Sonsie) would be his 3 tips for our first pick.
The first two guys are big in stature and have good speed, but I'm less convinced on their composure/decision making and disposal.
Sonsie certainly has the skills, but more than one comment has been made on his application and whether he is a 'conditional' player.
I'm not sure if eDPS considered the bigger mids as JPK replacements, but my sense is that inside bulls are not necessarily going to be a target.

I'd offer up Taylor, Chesser and Wilmot as my tips for our first pick, depending on whether we target a mid or run.

* Interview takeaways here; https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2021-draft-and-trade-hypotheticals.1259573/post-72952096

Re Dalrymple's point about what the coaches value in players and Sonsie's application (or potential lack thereof), the way he plays may not necessarily be indicative of the character he is, and if he has a character that suggests he can improve on his application, then the knocks on him may be mitigated slightly.

When Gould got on the tins before the combine, it didn't stop us from drafting him, presumably with the expectation that he was the type of character who could improve his fitness dramatically. Elijah Taylor had some personal issues pre-draft, it didn't stop us from drafting him, presumably with the expectation that he had the type of character that could overcome these issues (sadly he did not...)

These were two cases of Dalrymple drafting two prospects whose traits may not align with Horse's. This would be where the clinical psychological assessments, parent/teacher interviews etc would come in. Identifying is the player mature enough, committed enough, focused enough, adaptible enough etc. to correct and overcome their weaknesses in the right system. If they get the vibe from Sonsie that he ticks these boxes, then that lone issue of application suddenly becomes a lot less of a deterrent for a recruiter.

I think we have obviously determined that skills are a key aspect of our game plan and Longmire clearly likes a rebounding HB line (and having plenty of options to roll through HB/wing).

Sonsie certainly has the skills, but more than one comment has been made on his application and whether he is a 'conditional' player (clearly not something that would be acceptable to Longmire).

I get the feeling at least one of those three will become a Swan.

We need clearance players and it's probably going to happen this year.

We're a team of elite flankers with Kennedy winding down. Warner, Florent and Rowbottom only tick over at about 2 clearances a game

We need clearance players and it's probably going to happen this year.

We're a team of elite flankers with Kennedy winding down. Warner, Florent and Rowbottom only tick over at about 2 clearances a game

Part of that is that they don't play inside a lot. I think if they got the minutes inside of Kennedy or Parker they would get a fair few more clearances even if they aren't up to the level of the others.

Between Mills Rowbottom and Warner I'm not stressed about where our clearances are coming from in the next couple of seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back