Game Day 2021 AFL Draft

We're in the final hours before the draft so I'm starting a new thread to close the bloated hypotheticals thread.

Date:
24th-26th November 2021

Our picks (pre-shenanigans):
16, 31, 39, 69, 84, 89

Last edited:
We're in the final hours before the draft so I'm starting a new thread to close the bloated hypotheticals thread.

Hypothetically I see us drafting 3 to 4 selections.

Anyways in all seriousness before someone asks the draft is tomorrow night, will be streamed on AFL.com.au and I believe Kayo.

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but if we’d kept 12, Erasmus might still be on the board.

And trust me kids - Erasmus is going to be a quality player.

Whoever we select at 16 will have great potential (both ways: A Grader or bust).

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but if we’d kept 12, Erasmus might still be on the board.

Whoever we select at 16 will have great potential (both ways: A Grader or bust).

No way would Erasmus get past WCE.

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Everton, Socceroos

Hard to see Erasmus getting past the WA clubs, probably wasn't going to get to pick 14 anyway.

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
I've got a tiered list of my hopes for tomorrow, based on who I think might be available, dream draft in bold, probably unlikely to be available are *:

1st Pick - Wilmot, JVR, Chesser in that order, and then Sinn*, Draper, Taylor (doesn't seem to be as highly rated as others, Twomey for one suggests he might last til our 2nd pick)

2nd Pick - Taylor*, Bazzo* (if we don't get JVR), Sheldrick, Warner, Alleer, Knevitt*

3rd Pick - Sheldrick*, Warner* (probably more likely to be there than Sheldrick), Dean, Dittmar (if the club is really keen, must see something)

Rookie: Anderson as inside mid, if we have another pick then I'm fine with another mid of any kind (as long as we've picked up a KPD before this).

My ideal draft nets us depth in HB/Wing/Small Def (Wilmot), KPD/KPF (Bazzo), inside/outside mid (Warner) and inside mid (Anderson).

Obviously my preferences for later picks would change depending on the type we get with each pick.

Twomey and Fox both have us getting Tom Brown, which I'm not excited about, although if we did, then you'd expect one of JMac or Lloyd to be on a Wing, or at least join that rotation, once Brown is ready for a HB spot.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
I've got a tiered list of my hopes for tomorrow, based on who I think might be available, dream draft in bold, probably unlikely to be available are *:

1st Pick - Wilmot, JVR, Chesser in that order, and then Sinn*, Draper, Taylor (doesn't seem to be as highly rated as others, Twomey for one suggests he might last til our 2nd pick)

2nd Pick - Taylor*, Bazzo* (if we don't get JVR), Sheldrick, Warner, Alleer, Knevitt*

3rd Pick - Sheldrick*, Warner* (probably more likely to be there than Sheldrick), Dean, Dittmar (if the club is really keen, must see something)

Rookie: Anderson as inside mid, if we have another pick then I'm fine with another mid of any kind (as long as we've picked up a KPD before this).

My ideal draft nets us depth in HB/Wing/Small Def (Wilmot), KPD/KPF (Bazzo), inside/outside mid (Warner) and inside mid (Anderson).

Obviously my preferences for later picks would change depending on the type we get with each pick.

Twomey and Fox both have us getting Tom Brown, which I'm not excited about, although if we did, then you'd expect one of JMac or Lloyd to be on a Wing, or at least join that rotation, once Brown is ready for a HB spot.
I have virtually exactly the same cattle, just in a slightly different order and with maybe a bit of a hail mary.
1. Chesser. Suits running off half back and/or on the wing. JMac MkII but 4 years younger. All our desired attributes plus comes from NSW.
2. Aleer (the hail mary) or Bazzo. Still very interested in why we want to try to trade up to mid 20's. No idea who is on our radar.
Agree with your 3rd and Rookie. Might have to match late for Anderson.
Can't see why we would be into Brown. Chesser and Wilmot offer a lot more that fits our game plan.

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
I have virtually exactly the same cattle, just in a slightly different order and with maybe a bit of a hail mary.
1. Chesser. Suits running off half back and/or on the wing. JMac MkII but 4 years younger. All our desired attributes plus comes from NSW.
2. Aleer (the hail mary) or Bazzo. Still very interested in why we want to try to trade up to mid 20's. No idea who is on our radar.
Agree with your 3rd and Rookie. Might have to match late for Anderson.
Can't see why we would be into Brown. Chesser and Wilmot offer a lot more that fits our game plan.
I want to trade up with our 2nd and 3rd if we can. Think we're a few spots off being able to get the players I want at each of our 2nd and 3rd. Club might feel the same. Especially Bazzo with our 2nd, if we could get into mid 20s, I reckon he'd be good value. Even Warner or Sheldrick, reckon if we got to mid 30s with our 3rd, we might be able to get one of them. But on that note, we have limited options to do so, as it's a fair risk to use either of next years 1st rounders, so we'd probably need to use up next years 2nd, then see where things lay next year and use our worst 1st rounder (or a 2023 pick) to get us to 3 decent picks in 2022.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
I want to trade up with our 2nd and 3rd if we can. Think we're a few spots off being able to get the players I want at each of our 2nd and 3rd. Club might feel the same. Especially Bazzo with our 2nd, if we could get into mid 20s, I reckon he'd be good value. Even Warner or Sheldrick, reckon if we got to mid 30s with our 3rd, we might be able to get one of them. But on that note, we have limited options to do so, as it's a fair risk to use either of next years 1st rounders, so we'd probably need to use up next years 2nd, then see where things lay next year and use our worst 1st rounder (or a 2023 pick) to get us to 3 decent picks in 2022.
I'm not heavily into JVR. I think he very much sees himself as a KPF. He is already pretty mature.
Bazzo is a fair bit less physically developed, lighter and shut him down pretty well. I suspect Bazzo has the higher ceiling.
Aleer could be anything, everything or nothing. For me, it would hinge on the interviews. Can he lock down when it's needed like Bazzo can?
Dean is interesting having played VFL at a good level. But so do Lewis Taylor and Ryan Clarke. Need more than that alone.
Tricky choice.

Hold out on Anderson for Rookie and match if we have to. Add Warner instead.

I don't really see much to be excited about with Warner. Are we able to match a bad for Anderson if it comes in the draft? If so, then take him out and my third would be Tyreece Lieu.

If Fahey is still on the board we make a bid. And its a valid bid as he'd be perfect for us.

Taylor sounds good, but I'd like to see if we can get a bit of height into the midfield.
As from GWS Academy, would GWS make a counter bid?

Yes. AFL even have a countdown clock going..:rolleyesv1:

*looks at Game Day tag*

71447.jpg

* looks at scaryness *

Please explain

Back