Training Pre-season 2021/2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Brazill will miss the opening weeks of the AFLW season when in London with the Diamonds but is committed to playing both the footy season and a full Super Netball tournament before, she hopes, heading to the Commonwealth Games.

“Collingwood work really closely with the Diamonds as well over this. I know that netball and footy catch up and talk and I think in the end, they all want the best for me and (for me) not to get injured,” she said.

“I’ll definitely be managed on the way back in. I know both coaches want me for the full season so it’s just going to be a process of how my body reacts coming back and working me back into the system.”

Ash Brazill never doubted her ability to return from what for many would have been a career-ending knee injury.
But to have worked her way back into the Australian netball fold less than two years after rupturing her ACL playing in the AFLW has been “shocking”.
Brazill is among five midcourters announced by the Diamonds for their quad series tour of England in January, joining captain Liz Watson, Kate Moloney, Paige Hadley and Jamie-Lee Price in the squad.
“Less than two years ago, doing my ACL and having my first season back last year, I honestly didn’t even think I’d make the squad let alone the team to go travel to England,” the Collingwood Magpies player said.
“So I was probably in a little bit of shock. I’ve only just recently had a clean-out of my knee as well, so I was in shock and excited all at once.”

Melbourne v Collingwood
Saturday 18 December, 10am AEDT, Casey Fields
Open to the public
Coverage via club social media channels

Squads to be announced Thursday

Melbourne v Collingwood

Open to the public

DEMONS
1. Georgia Campbell, 3. Maddison Gay, 4. Karen Paxman, 5. Tyla Hanks, 6. Daisy Pearce, 7. Tayla Harris, 8. Sarah Lampard, 9. Libby Birch, 10. Kate Hore, 11. Eliza West, 12. Shelley Scott, 14. Lily Mithen, 15. Lauren Pearce, 16. Alyssa Bannan, 17. Tahlia Gillard, 18. Casey Sherrif, 19. Jacqueline Parry, 20. Brenna Tarrant, 21. Maggie Caris, 22. Eliza McNamara, 23. Sinead Goldrick, 24. Megan Fitzsimons, 26. Lauren Magee, 28. Ali Brown, 29. Eden Zanker, 30. Shelley Heath, 31. Krstel Petrevski, 32. Gabrielle Colvin

MAGPIES
1. Sabrina Frederick, 2. Chloe Molloy, 3. Brianna Davey, 4. Imogen Barnett, 5. Amelia Velardo, 6. Jordyn Allen, 7. Sarah Rowe, 8. Brittany Bonnici, 9. Alana Porter, 11. Imogen Purcell, 12. Stacey Livingstone, 13. Jaimee Lambert, 14. Aishling Sheridan, 15. Erica Fowler, 16. Aliesha Newman, 17. Steph Chiocci, 18. Ruby Schleicher, 19. Bella Smith, 20. Eliza James, 21. Alison Downie, 22. Sophie Casey, 23. Lauren Butler, 24. Sophie Alexander, 25. Mikala Cann, 26. Tarni Brown, 40. Abbi Moloney, 41. Eloise Chaston, 50. Ebony O'Dea

Braz and Lin seem to be the only notable absentees from the 28 player squad. We know Braz is on netball duties, any word on what might have kept Lin out?

Braz and Lin seem to be the only notable absentees from the 28 player squad. We know Braz is on netball duties, any word on what might have kept Lin out?
she popped out her humerus bone at training the other week. Had surgery.

Do we know if she’s injured?
She must have been a VERY late out. She was warming up with the side pre-game. So I reckon she maybe felt a tug or something didn’t quite feel right so they didn’t want to risk it.

Unfortunately the game didn't end well for us. Apparantely there was a delayed break as there was lightning in Casey (wtf lol) and probably stopped our momentum. Its just a practice game at least.

Is good to read that Sabrina Frederick kicked 3 goals. She definitely makes our forward line a dangerous proposition, along with Molloy and Alexander.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne v Collingwood

Open to the public

DEMONS
1. Georgia Campbell, 3. Maddison Gay, 4. Karen Paxman, 5. Tyla Hanks, 6. Daisy Pearce, 7. Tayla Harris, 8. Sarah Lampard, 9. Libby Birch, 10. Kate Hore, 11. Eliza West, 12. Shelley Scott, 14. Lily Mithen, 15. Lauren Pearce, 16. Alyssa Bannan, 17. Tahlia Gillard, 18. Casey Sherrif, 19. Jacqueline Parry, 20. Brenna Tarrant, 21. Maggie Caris, 22. Eliza McNamara, 23. Sinead Goldrick, 24. Megan Fitzsimons, 26. Lauren Magee, 28. Ali Brown, 29. Eden Zanker, 30. Shelley Heath, 31. Krstel Petrevski, 32. Gabrielle Colvin

MAGPIES
1. Sabrina Frederick, 2. Chloe Molloy, 3. Brianna Davey, 4. Imogen Barnett, 5. Amelia Velardo, 6. Jordyn Allen, 7. Sarah Rowe, 8. Brittany Bonnici, 9. Alana Porter, 11. Imogen Purcell, 12. Stacey Livingstone, 13. Jaimee Lambert, 14. Aishling Sheridan, 15. Erica Fowler, 16. Aliesha Newman, 17. Steph Chiocci, 18. Ruby Schleicher, 19. Bella Smith, 20. Eliza James, 21. Alison Downie, 22. Sophie Casey, 23. Lauren Butler, 24. Sophie Alexander, 25. Mikala Cann, 26. Tarni Brown, 40. Abbi Moloney, 41. Eloise Chaston, 50. Ebony O'Dea

MELBOURNE 6.5 (41) def COLLINGWOOD 3.4 (22)

Dangerous forward Kate Hore was the star of the show at Casey Fields, booting four of Melbourne's six goals.

It was a fourth-term blitz that did the damage for Melbourne, overcoming a slow start to pile on four majors to nil.

Wild weather was once again a feature of a match at Casey – at quarter time, the game was delayed by 20 minutes after a lightning strike in sunny conditions, before rain and wind kicked in as the footy progressed.

Libby Birch was in fine touch in defence, while key forward Jackie Parry spent some time in the ruck supporting Lauren Pearce.

Pies recruit Sabrina Frederick set the tone early, booting a goal from about 60m, and kicked all three of the team's majors.

Two came in the first quarter, with Collingwood then struggling somewhat with its connection into attack.

Draftee Eliza James racked up some valuable midfield minutes, while small defender Alana Porter was a standout in defence and Jordy Allen spent time at both ends of the field.

Chloe Molloy was a late withdrawal with back tightness, but the Pies are confident it isn't a major concern.

GOALS

Melbourne:
Hore 4, West, Hanks

Collingwood: Frederick 3

Very disappointing news to hear about Lin, she'll miss the season after shoulder surgery.

That, and several of our girls (unnamed) have been in iso and have missed training. Not great preparation for our opening game and very selfishly I hope it’s not one of our gun players. I am bullish about our chances this year, but we need the likes of Molloy, Davey, Bonnicci, Schleicher, Livingstone et al playing and firing from the get go. I think there are better teams, but when our girls click they are hard to beat. We played some sublime footy last year.

Very disappointing news to hear about Lin, she'll miss the season after shoulder surgery.

Very disappointed to read that Lin is out for the season. She was very impressive once she broke into the team and seemed to be getting better each week. Looking forward to seeing her back on the park in the not to distant future.

Really enjoyed watching that little doco. Gave a great insight to just how hard the ladies work, how close knit they are as a playing group, and their commitment to the guernsey. Very impressive, and can't wait to watch our season kicking off on Sunday...
Loved it.

Just when I didn't think I could love this team anymore, I get proven wrong. Especially the end. Love the drive, and hunger from this team to want and strive to keep improving. Wanting to take the next step.

This doco just goes to show the breakout yeah we had, where the competition started to take notice. I feel that's gonna be even more so this season. Nobody will underestimate us. They'll prob try to start tagging Bri lol

I hope our Men's seniors take inspiration in this vid. I did!!

So many things to discuss and wanna get people thoughts.

Sharni retiring is a MASSIVE hit for us for the quality professional she is and character around the club. I'm so happy she's returning. I guess it's like a role that Maxy is doing for the mens? https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1032864/additions-to-collingwoods-aflw-coaching-panel Can anyone add to this? Any inside goss?

1641511142599.png

Re: That final against Brissy ...... it was never good having Roughhead needed to play in Perth but I didn't know we only had 2 coaches on game day. Far out! If that ball didn't jack knife on the goal line we would have played in the GF. What an outstanding effort!!!!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back