Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting that GWS needs a tall player which bidding on Darcy makes the most sense.
But then to draft Callaghan over a tall is an odd move
To bid on Darcy, then select Callaghan without bidding on Daicos just seems counter-intuitive. Can only think it's for malicious reasons rather than respecting the integrity of the draft. Bid on Darcy all you like (he should be top 3-4), but not bidding on Daicos when he's in the frame for Pick 1 just makes them look like they're doing it to be petty

Leon Cameron is Sam Darcy's godfather as well.
Cameron was such a good little Bulldog but now he's a c#$nt

To bid on Darcy, then select Callaghan without bidding on Daicos just seems counter-intuitive. Can only think it's for malicious reasons rather than respecting the integrity of the draft. Bid on Darcy all you like (he should be top 3-4), but not bidding on Daicos when he's in the frame for Pick 1 just makes them look like they're doing it to be petty
My guess would be they are not bidding on Daicos because of the trade they did with Collingwood last year for their first round pick which is pick 2.

My guess would be they are not bidding on Daicos because of the trade they did with Collingwood last year for their first round pick which is pick 2.

Yeah, from what I've seen it's considered a dick move to bid on another club's player using a pick you got from them. I have no time for GWS, but it makes sense for them to bid on Darcy. He's the best tall in the field and Cameron knows him well and likes his character.

The only argument I could advance in explanation of GWS's behaviour is that they did flag some time ago that they were likely to select the best tall in the draft and I suppose they're sticking to their word. It's certainly a bonus for the Pies because until recently Daicos was always seen as the best player in the draft and to pick him up at Pick 3 is huge for them. We'll just have to grin and bear it and accumulate the most points we can when Pick 2 is called out.

The only argument I could advance in explanation of GWS's behaviour is that they did flag some time ago that they were likely to select the best tall in the draft and I suppose they're sticking to their word. It's certainly a bonus for the Pies because until recently Daicos was always seen as the best player in the draft and to pick him up at Pick 3 is huge for them. We'll just have to grin and bear it and accumulate the most points we can when Pick 2 is called out.

If we trade 23 for Geelong's 32 and 34 we'll be fine. Match at pick 2, keep pick 52 (which rolls up to 47 after we match given that a bunch of picks disappear), and pick 45 slides back. We can do some good things with picks 47 and 50-something.

The karma will come when some-wannabe-toughguys in orange try and rough up Darcy in a future final, as he tears them apart and goes on to play a standout grand final. Even with Patton, Shaw, Cameron and some of their ilk gone, that club seems to breed dead-sh1ts as the only productive achievement.

Regardless, Sam Darcy will be in RW&B next year and beyond, and hopefully a future Tassie team will come in and hurdle the Waste of Space and condemn them to permanent bottom(of the ladder) feeders status. (Not that the administratively-inept Suns are helping themselves when they have an opportunity with their current 'yoof' to out-perform the Waste as well.)

The karma will come when some-wannabe-toughguys in orange try and rough up Darcy in a future final, as he tears them apart and goes on to play a standout grand final. Even with Patton, Shaw, Cameron and some of their ilk gone, that club seems to breed dead-sh1ts as the only productive achievement.

Regardless, Sam Darcy will be in RW&B next year and beyond, and hopefully a future Tassie team will come in and hurdle the Waste of Space and condemn them to permanent bottom(of the ladder) feeders status. (Not that the administratively-inept Suns are helping themselves when they have an opportunity with their current 'yoof' to out-perform the Waste as well.)
Let's not forget Luke has four kids - no idea how Sienna, Willson or Max are tracking but just when the whining about Marra dies down, we take Sam, and when that whining dies down we'll take Jordan Croft and when that whining dies down we may have another Darcy kid on the radar.

Let's not forget Luke has four kids - no idea how Sienna, Willson or Max are tracking but just when the whining about Marra dies down, we take Sam, and when that whining dies down we'll take Jordan Croft and when that whining dies down we may have another Darcy kid on the radar.

So you're saying Sam is not even the best Darcy?! :D

My memory is not what it was ( if it ever was) but didn’t GWS do Melbourne a favour in not bidding on Viney? If so that didn’t work out for them in terms of getting to a flag before the Dees. Not sure why any team would give a competitor a free hit. Unless the club values the Jim Stynes Club award above flags.

So you're saying Sam is not even the best Darcy?! :D
I'm not counting chickens yet, but we got the best kid in the draft last year, made the granny, then get a kid at pick 2 or 3 who may have a younger brother or two that is also draftable. Crofty is a beast of a kid too, same scout that picked Darcy out when he was barely on the radar saw Jordan at an underage game and thinks he's already bigger than his dad Crofty Snr.
It's a very fortunate time to be a bulldog.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My memory is not what it was ( if it ever was) but didn’t GWS do Melbourne a favour in not bidding on Viney? If so that didn’t work out for them in terms of getting to a flag before the Dees. Not sure why any team would give a competitor a free hit. Unless the club values the Jim Stynes Club award above flags.
If they really want irony, they should take Mac Andrew who is a gun tall kid who was part of Melbourne's NGA. He'd be set for the Dees but the AFL shut the door on NGA kids going in the top 20 after our absolute daylight robbery last year getting Marra for a bunch of late picks on a one-year loophole of not needing free list spots to match picks used up in a bid.

I'm not counting chickens yet, but we got the best kid in the draft last year, made the granny, then get a kid at pick 2 or 3 who may have a younger brother or two that is also draftable. Crofty is a beast of a kid too, same scout that picked Darcy out when he was barely on the radar saw Jordan at an underage game and thinks he's already bigger than his dad Crofty Snr.
It's a very fortunate time to be a bulldog.

Yeah, sorry Mofra, was just having fun with a long-running 'joke' (and remembering the third Cloke was the best of the lot!). Other than the Cats back in the Ablett, Scarlett days (with Blake and Woolnough and Callan diluting the strike-rate a little), has any other club produced highly draftable off-spring to the degree we are seeing come through now, even with our relative 'misses' like Ayce?
As you say, what a time to be a Bulldog!

Yeah, sorry Mofra, was just having fun with a long-running 'joke' (and remembering the third Cloke was the best of the lot!). Other than the Cats back in the Ablett, Scarlett days (with Blake and Woolnough and Callan diluting the strike-rate a little), has any other club produced highly draftable off-spring to the degree we are seeing come through now, even with our relative 'misses' like Ayce?
As you say, what a time to be a Bulldog!
We passe don a few as well that might have thrived in different systems - Fossie's kid was better than his time at Carlton suggested. Darcy McPherson is doing ok, and his brother Ewan should be a little surprised we haven't nominated him.

We passe don a few as well that might have thrived in different systems - Fossie's kid was better than his time at Carlton suggested. Darcy McPherson is doing ok, and his brother Ewan should be a little surprised we haven't nominated him.

Certainly beats the 1970s to 1990s era. We picked up young Ted, Ross Abbey and Luke Darcy, but other father-sons (or potential father-sons) in those decades like Paul Ross (son of Don), David Round, Jarrod Thorpe, Andrew Merrington, etc never made the grade, or even arrived at the club.

Anyway, all swings and roundabouts - we nabbed Picken, Wynd and Dimattina amongst others whose fathers had played elsewhere, whilst missing out on Ronnie Wearmouth, Mike Moncrieff, Ryan O'Keefe and Dan Hanneberry and the Reid boys going back the other way.

Not sure if it was you, but someone on here has suggested several times there should be no game limit (i.e. one game is enough) on father-son (as there now is for father-daughter for different reasons) to ensure the romance of the scenario. Lots of qualifications to that playing out, but not sure 100 is the perfect number.

Certainly beats the 1970s to 1990s era. We picked up young Ted, Ross Abbey and Luke Darcy, but other father-sons (or potential father-sons) in those decades like Paul Ross (son of Don), David Round, Jarrod Thorpe, Andrew Merrington, etc never made the grade, or even arrived at the club.

Anyway, all swings and roundabouts - we nabbed Picken, Wynd and Dimattina amongst others whose fathers had played elsewhere, whilst missing out on Ronnie Wearmouth, Mike Moncrieff, Ryan O'Keefe and Dan Hanneberry and the Reid boys going back the other way.

Not sure if it was you, but someone on here has suggested several times there should be no game limit (i.e. one game is enough) on father-son (as there now is for father-daughter for different reasons) to ensure the romance of the scenario. Lots of qualifications to that playing out, but not sure 100 is the perfect number.
Interesting.

No I didn't suggest that, it's probably a hard one to put a games tally on it that everyone agrees with.

Interesting.

No I didn't suggest that, it's probably a hard one to put a games tally on it that everyone agrees with.

Ok, sorry, there is a WB poster on here who has raised it in several discussions, just can't recall who it is.

I think it was because of the disparity between the old VFL figure of 50 games minimum, now AFL figure of 100, but then WAFL/SANFL games is considerably more, like the Bryce Gibbs scenario:

1637642497851.png

You’d have clubs outbidding each other to get a champion player to unretire and play 1 game at 45 so they could qualify to get their up and coming 12 year old kids in that scenario!

Personally I'd go the opposite direction. Games limit should go up to 150, if not 200. Some of these guys qualifying for father son, especially at other clubs, have me googling to find out who on earth their dads were.

Names like West, Darcy, Daicos, etc. are great to see continuing their fathers' legacy. On the other hand, I'd never heard of the fathers of Sam Simpson and Bailey Rice.

Even just considering Bulldogs players, Darcy and West would belong in my idea of the father son rule, while the Cordy brothers wouldn't.

Butch Edwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back