Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Does anyone know why the author of Harry Potter has people activating against her? Just mad Harry Potter fans?

She's a massive TERF. Also, re your post above, she's part of a group of British women who are very vocally anti-trans and it made its way into her work as well where she made the choice to have the villain and psychopathic killer in one of her novels be gender fluid.

Agreed that this sort of s**t is not on though.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
She's a massive TERF. Also, re your post above, she's part of a group of British women who are very vocally anti-trans and it made its way into her work as well where she made the choice to have the villain and psychopathic killer in one of her novels be gender fluid.

Agreed that this sort of sh*t is not on though.

Is she a trans exclusionary radical feminist? I haven’t read the essay she wrote. She seems to have a lot of empathy for trans people but she doesn’t see them as biological women. Are we not excepting biology science these days?

Agreed that this sort of sh*t is not on though.
TERF is a terrible term.

I've seen it used against abuse victims who want women only shelters because they were in a shelter where an abuser pretended to be trans and attacked their ex who they'd been stalking, in that shelter.

Having said that I'm not sure she really qualifies for the "RF" part of the acronym. Just transphobic.
Just use the word transphobic then. Its fair enough. Silence of the Lambs seems pretty transphobic too.

I hate the term TERF, specifically because of the issues i mentioned just before. It seems like a bad way to deal with a situation. Come up with a word to villify people. It also seems a bit weird to me that trans rights and women's rights are being played off against each other like that. A bit divide and conquer. Wouldn't surprise me if some bloke in some right wing think tank came up with the term.

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just use the word transphobic then. Its fair enough. Silence of the Lambs seems pretty transphobic too.

I hate the term TERF, specifically because of the issues i mentioned just before. It seems like a bad way to deal with a situation. Come up with a word to villify people. It also seems a bit weird to me that trans rights and women's rights are being played off against each other like that. A bit divide and conquer. Wouldn't surprise me if some bloke in some right wing think tank came up with the term.
Nah, it was coined by trans feminists, at least according to the (cis) feminist who is credited with popularising the term.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That’s all? Jesus she didn’t even write anything controversial or hateful. I wonder sometimes if the trans community is so used to fighting that they see discrimination where there is none.
Some people just want to force acceptance down your throat.

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Also that very small minority of feminists who seek to exclude trans women deserve to be called out. Whether you see it as vilification is probably perspective. There are probably loads of transphobes (and homophobes and various bigots) who feel they are vilified for their "genuinely held beliefs".

Also that very small minority of feminists who seek to exclude trans women deserve to be called out. Whether you see it as vilification is probably perspective. There are probably loads of transphobes (and homophobes and various bigots) who feel they are vilified for their "genuinely held beliefs".
I dunno, I'm not going there.

I know someone who said to me, when Caitlyn Jenner got the Woman of the Year award, something that could be construed as trans phobic. It was basically wtte of "Typical of men that they can't even let "Woman of the year alone" without taking it from us." It seems that sentiment was widespread.

I can see both sides of that issue, but I'm inclined to go with the feminists who criticised it if I weigh everything up.

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

WHat? TERF isn't villification. It's a label for a group of people who exclude transwomen in their definition of feminism, and in some cases actively campaign against transwomen being involved in female spaces. You've got the power relationship completely around the wrong way.

And as for your example that you replied to me, that's horrible but it's also the type of thing that's regularly used by transphobes as an excuse to marginalise the discriminate against the trans community, especially transwomen, when it's exceedingly rare.

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I dunno, I'm not going there.

I know someone who said to me, when Caitlyn Jenner got the Woman of the Year award, something that could be construed as trans phobic. It was basically wtte of "Typical of men that they can't even let "Woman of the year alone" without taking it from us." It seems that sentiment was widespread.

I can see both sides of that issue, but I'm inclined to go with the feminists who criticised it if I weigh everything up.
I can't really comment, I'm nowhere near as obsessed with American society and politics as the rest of you. It sounds like a rather harmless tongue in cheek comment where the main issue is that there were far more worthy candidates, probably including other trans women. But I cannot claim to know her actual achievements.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So the following is a brief summation of why she’s transphobic,

In December 2019, Rowling tweeted her support for Maya Forstater, a British woman who initially lost her employment tribunal case (Maya Forstater v Centre for Global Development) but won on appeal against her former employer, the Center for Global Development, after her contract was not renewed due to her comments about transgender people.[258][259][260]

On 6 June 2020, Rowling tweeted criticism of the phrase "people who menstruate",[261] and stated "If sex isn't real, the lived reality of women globally is erased. I know and love trans people, but erasing the concept of sex removes the ability of many to meaningfully discuss their lives."[262] Rowling's tweets were criticised by GLAAD, who called them "cruel" and "anti-trans".[263][264] Some members of the cast of the Harry Potter film series criticised Rowling's views or spoke out in support of trans rights, including Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, Bonnie Wright, and Katie Leung, as did Fantastic Beasts lead actor Eddie Redmayne and the fansites MuggleNet and The Leaky Cauldron.[265][266][267] Actress Noma Dumezweni (who played Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child) initially expressed support for Rowling but backtracked following backlash.[268]

On 10 June 2020, Rowling published a 3,600-word essay on her website in response to the criticism.[269][270] Rowling again wrote that many women consider terms like "people who menstruate" to be demeaning. She said that she was a survivor of domestic abuse and sexual assault, and stated that "When you throw open the doors of bathrooms and changing rooms to any man who believes or feels he's a woman ... then you open the door to any and all men who wish to come inside", while stating that most trans people were vulnerable and deserved protection.[271]Following up into who is at risk in women's toilets, Reuters stated that it was trans women who were more vulnerable, and that 200 municipalities which allowed trans people to use women's shelters reported no rise in any violence as a result.[272][273] Rowling's essay was criticised by, among others, the children's charity Mermaids (who support transgender and gender non-conforming children and their parents) and the feminist gender theoristJudith Butler.[274][275][276][277] Rowling has been referred to as a trans-exclusionary radical feminist (TERF) on multiple occasions, though she rejects the label.[278] Rowling has received support from actors Robbie Coltrane[279] and Brian Cox,[280] and some feminists,[281] such as activist Ayaan Hirsi Ali[282] and radical feminist Julie Bindel.[281] The essay was nominated by the BBC for their annual Russell Prize for best writing.[283][284]

Not really that damning tbh. The hate seems way overblown.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Some people just want to force acceptance down your throat.

I accept trans people. Doesn’t bother me at all. Just think ignoring that there’s a difference between a trans woman and a biological woman is ignoring biological facts.

Don’t think that makes me transphobic.

Would I be comfortable with my 10 & 8 year old daughters sharing a change room with a trans woman with her utensil and balls in full view, nah I don’t think I would be.

When I take my kids to their swimming lessons I use the family change room for that reason. Because I don’t need my young girls being in a room full of dicks.

Can there be like compulsory lessens for boomers to learn about technology?

I had a boomer call my counter today asking about a denim jacket right and we go back and forth and I have to tell him that we can not approve of any like sales over the phone until you know it’s exactly what you want. So I tell him if he could please search up the one he wants on our website and if he could tell me the style code and he said he doesn’t know how to do it so I asked him if he could come in store and he said he lives too far away, fair enough, he hangs up. Then he calls again and asks all over again.

I feel bad for him because I know technology can be complex but I don’t want to like send him something that he doesn’t even know what it looks like.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Can there be like compulsory lessens for boomers to learn about technology?

I had a boomer call my counter today asking about a denim jacket right and we go back and forth and I have to tell him that we can not approve of any like sales over the phone until you know it’s exactly what you want. So I tell him if he could please search up the one he wants on our website and if he could tell me the style code and he said he doesn’t know how to do it so I asked him if he could come in store and he said he lives too far away, fair enough, he hangs up. Then he calls again and asks all over again.

I feel bad for him because I know technology can be complex but I don’t want to like send him something that he doesn’t even know what it looks like.
Bit of a generalism surely?

Bit of a generalism surely?
I mean no but I really don’t want to just be describing a jacket over the phone just for the person to not like it, like I’ll do anything for them like I did running around for him but even my manager was like yeah we can’t approve of that just because of the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back