Opinion Non-Crows AFL 4: The Centre Cannot Hold

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Behind danger?
What area would danger rate above goody for his time here?

It's all subjective, but I was basing it on his career and not just what he did at Adelaide.

Even so I think the quality of Danger's 2015 season has been largely overlooked, unfortunately with the Phil Walsh tragedy and his defection we've forgotten just how great he was for us in 2015.

It's all subjective, but I was basing it on his career and not just what he did at Adelaide.

Even so I think the quality of Danger's 2015 season has been largely overlooked, unfortunately with the Phil Walsh tragedy and his defection we've forgotten just how great he was for us in 2015.
Basing it on the whole career is a bit different and certainly puts danger ahead.

The other thread isn’t really for discussion.
Not a crack at you but Fancy complaints on footy discussion in two threads!

i guess fair but i tuned out of that other thread because it didn't overly interest me and just saw it being repeated

but yeah i dunno why i singled it out considering how much the same convo bleeds into multiple threads all over the place

:thumbsu:

i guess fair but i tuned out of that other thread because it didn't overly interest me and just saw it being repeated

but yeah i dunno why i singled it out considering how much the same convo bleeds into multiple threads all over the place

Agreed, turns into a circular discussion who is the best, which we have done a dozen times.

In the end it just gets to down to individuals choice between half a dozen players who we all rank slightly differently.

No offence to my fellow BF posters but you're opinions on who is the best between Roo, Macca, Mods or Jars isn't worth reading over and over again.

It’s just funny because usually the line “you know it’s the off season when we are discussing (insert any off footy topic)” gets thrown about at the moment.
Also had one of the main off footy thread outlets closed.

swap Smart for Hart and I’d agree with this
Ben Hart 4x Australian v Nigel Smart 3x All Australian. Ben Hart was challenging McLeod for Norman Smith in the 98 grand final.

Not much between them, but I have Hart just ahead... but there is no right answer.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was a different era where zone defense was never a thing, allowing these forwards to lead up at the footy and go one on one with their defenders.

An interesting debate for me, would be: out of Lockett, Ablett, Dunstall, Carey and Mods, which of these would thrive in the modern game?

For me, Mods was great when the ball hit the deck, but relied on getting the ball on the lead a lot, despite being remembered for taking hangers. Lockett and Dunstall would struggle I think as they were too one dimensional, and a lack of space to lead into. With Ablett and Carey, I think they would still be able to find a way to dominate in today's game.

Always interesting trying to compare eras.
I don’t think struggle as such, but they wouldn’t be kicking 100+ year in year out.

they probably be 60-70 goal a year players which is now the elite forwards range

They'll beat us to him because we went and wasted a list spot on Dawson. Port win again.
Port are the type of campaigners to claim that Dumont had to chose between the Crows and Port if they get him.

Was a different era where zone defense was never a thing, allowing these forwards to lead up at the footy and go one on one with their defenders.

An interesting debate for me, would be: out of Lockett, Ablett, Dunstall, Carey and Mods, which of these would thrive in the modern game?

For me, Mods was great when the ball hit the deck, but relied on getting the ball on the lead a lot, despite being remembered for taking hangers. Lockett and Dunstall would struggle I think as they were too one dimensional, and a lack of space to lead into. With Ablett and Carey, I think they would still be able to find a way to dominate in today's game.

Always interesting trying to compare eras.

Modra and Ablett would be gun forwards today. Both had strength superiority, pace, could jump. It could be argued that they were the perfect footballing athlete and they would walk into any best 22 today. No question.

Dunstall was a footy smart player but he is too one dimensional for his height for the full forward position in modern footy. He'd be that mid sized forward pocket half flanker.

Lockett would be a state league player. Not athletic enough and his main asset when he was a big fella was his strength. But most modern day full backs are just as strong and they'd just double team him. Don't get me wrong he was a champion of his era but thats it.

I believe one out of the box player who probably would have had a great career had he never gone to the Crows is Hodges. He was a serious talent that never did well in the fishbowl climate of footy obsessed Crow fans who hated Port.

The more I learn about the size and athletic ability required of the modern footballer the more I realise that most footballers before 1990, if they were 18yo today would never get drafted.

Modra and Ablett would be gun forwards today. Both had strength superiority, pace, could jump. It could be argued that they were the perfect footballing athlete and they would walk into any best 22 today. No question.

Dunstall was a footy smart player but he is too one dimensional for his height for the full forward position in modern footy. He'd be that mid sized forward pocket half flanker.

Lockett would be a state league player. Not athletic enough and his main asset when he was a big fella was his strength. But most modern day full backs are just as strong and they'd just double team him. Don't get me wrong he was a champion of his era but thats it.

I believe one out of the box player who probably would have had a great career had he never gone to the Crows is Hodges. He was a serious talent that never did well in the fishbowl climate of footy obsessed Crow fans who hated Port.

The more I learn about the size and athletic ability required of the modern footballer the more I realise that most footballers before 1990, if they were 18yo today would never get drafted.

You reckon Modra and Ablett had the discipline and work ethic to make it in today's game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back