Strategy Going through the scraps - delisted free agents

Remove this Banner Ad

Dumont is AFL quality in a position where our depth is extremely shallow, he's only 26 so still young enough to contribute for a few more years, and he's free. It's a no-brainer.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
8, 11, 27, 31, 35 (unlikely) 36, 38, 39, 40, 42, 43, 46, 47, 49, 50

Do we retire Hamish's 8 for a time like we have with Westy's 39? Next year will be 10 years since JMac died, so 35 probably won't be used. 31 was Finlayson's number at GWS, so that's available if he wants it. Sam Skinner won't be getting his previous 21. I'd hope Meady gets something more befitting PAFC royalty than 44, but he's probably more determined just to stay on the park and push for a senior game.
We retire Russ's#7 and give #8 to the guy who has that now.

dirty2

F*** the southern power
Nov 6, 2016
Bar Rossa
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal
My thought is that we know that Dumont is an average player yet pick 87 (or whatever) is an unknown quantity and could be our next Karl Amon if we give him a go.
True. We have some great late picks over the years.. but still low % and Dumont is a well he is Dumont we know what we will get.... the correct decision? Time will tell...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parker confirmed Port Adelaide has spoken with former North Melbourne and Norwood player Trent Dumont, but has made no commitment to claim the 113-game AFL midfielder in the draft, rookie draft or as a delisted free agent.

Jan 16, 2009
Heaps good
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies, Bulls & Cricket Aus
Greatest fact about Kilburn (apart from me being raised there to age 5)-

Originally called Chicago, Kilburn had its name changed from Chicago in the 1930s because it was emulating the gang culture of its American namesake. And they chose Kill-Burn!!

PS that is why the nickname of the Kilburn footy and cricket clubs is the “Chics.”
Speaking of clubs that should fold.

That being the case why has the worst team in the competition delisted him?

Because we've drafted a whole heap of kids high in the draft that play his role.

He's not going to play in our next flag, but could very well play in yours.

GoTheMightyCrows

Bigfooty Visionary
Oct 8, 2019
Highland, Albuquerque
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Because we've drafted a whole heap of kids high in the draft that play his role.

He's not going to play in our next flag, but could very well play in yours.
Nah, you and I both know that if he was any good he'd be there to help foster the kids thru, the fact is he's just a C grade footballer with absolutely nil weapons in his tool box other than being a trier.

Nah, you and I both know that if he was any good he'd be there to help foster the kids thru, the fact is he's just a C grade footballer with absolutely nil weapons in his tool box other than being a trier.

You can only have so many to do that and we have Ziebell, Cunners and Anderson to do that for the mids. Simpkin taking a leadership role too.

If you'd picked up Atley I'd be a bit wtf, but Frog's a very solid performer.

You can only have so many to do that and we have Ziebell, Cunners and Anderson to do that for the mids. Simpkin taking a leadership role too.

If you'd picked up Atley I'd be a bit wtf, but Frog's a very solid performer.
Don't bother arguing with that bloke, you're wasting your time.

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think Dumont is a good pickup at minimal cost. He's likely to be one of the best players in the sanfl and pushing for an afl spot in an area of little depth. I'd be surprised if he doesn't play any afl next year. His form this year was pretty poor but its been a tough year and he obviously wasn't in north's plans for the future. I'm hoping we pick him up. If its a year then its a year. Who knows it could be much more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back