Opinion Best 22 for 2022

Yep - Durdin showed more in one game than Fisher did all year - Honey and Durdin in the forward line and suddenly Carlton pressure started to look AFL quality - even scored some crumbing goals in congestion because of the pressure they applied.

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
B M.McGovern J.Weitering T.Williamson
HB A.Saad L.Young Z.Williams
C A.Cerra P.Cripps L.O’Brien
HF J.Martin C.Curnow J.Honey
F J.Silvagni H.McKay C.Durdin
FOLL: T.De Koning P.Dow S.Walsh
INTER: G.Hewett, M.Kennedy, L.Stocker, Z.Fisher
Sub: B.Kemp

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
That's true, but perhaps the transition could take place with Hewett taking over that small shutdown defender role it Boyd struggles to take the next step
Yep, the option is always there to send Hewett back. Actually hoping this happens as it means other mids have stepped up.

marcmurphy3

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
B: McGovern Young Docherty
HB: Williams Weitering Saad
C: O'Brien Cripps Cerra
HF: Martin Curnow Fisher
F: Silvagni McKay Honey
OB: Dekoning Hewett Walsh
IC: Dow Stocker Durdin Curnow

Updated Best 22
Since Jones retired

Unavailable for Selection
Docherty & Cuningham

FBNewmanYoungMarchbank
HBStockerWeiteringSaad
CWilliamsCrippsCerra
HFFisherSilvagniHoney
FFOwiesMcKayC.Curnow
FOLPittonetWalshHewett
BENCHKempDe KoningMartinMcGovern
23rd ManPlowman

• Stocker and Williams to alternate through HBF and Midfield
  • Walsh & Cerra to alternate through Midfield and Wing
  • Silvagni to run around as CHF to allow C. Curnow to play where he plays best deep forward and to get his confidence back
  • Kemp as 7th Defender, Plowman maybe a safer bet, but Kemp a better more skilful player that needs game time. Wish we could test him at CHF
  • De Koning 2nd Ruck, could pinch hit as a KPP if desperate
  • Martin Forward/ Midfield/ Wing
  • McGovern Swingman

Garters

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Yep - Durdin showed more in one game than Fisher did all year - Honey and Durdin in the forward line and suddenly Carlton pressure started to look AFL quality - even scored some crumbing goals in congestion because of the pressure they applied.
Agree with this. Fish is a bust in my eyes. As conditional as it gets. Another player whom if Honey, Durdin etal go to plan won't be on the list end of this contract.

That's a bit harsh.

I would like to think that as the team plays a new game plan, with better structure and systems, there's plenty of room for a player like Fisher to excel.
His dash and agility will come into the fore, making him a valuable component in our best 22 - here's hoping anyway that he has an injury free year and show us what he has to offer :D

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
That's a bit harsh.

I would like to think that as the team plays a new game plan, with better structure and systems, there's plenty of room for a player like Fisher to excel.
His dash and agility will come into the fore, making him a valuable component in our best 22 - here's hoping anyway that he has an injury free year and show us what he has to offer :D
It's harsh, but probably not far off.

Donnini

Team Captain
Dec 16, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Fisher is a good talent his goal assists are right up there.

Durdin potentially has better forward pressure craft but think Fish is more skillful and gets more of the ball at this stage.

Durdin is starting his career the right way and the mountain of work he is doing off the ball. But need him to get more involved.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Durdin was super impressive, he kicked goals but also set them up and created elite forward pressure. He showed a lot of natural forward craft. Fisher has been serviceable but hasn't done much as a forward. What Durdin does that Fisher doesn't is hit the man and the ball in dispute hard. That is something we haven't done well as a team but is just super important. This is how teams "defend" in modern footy. Rather than give up possession they are good at keeping the ball in a contest. This is what was wrong with our defence and something Fisher hasn't been good at despite being fast and agile. This is something I thought Durdin did really well at.

Fisher is someone who has loads and loads of talent and ability. So did SPS, so does O'Brien, so does Dow. Despite their talent they are still fringe and this is what people mean by talent only getting you so far. They are players who are brilliant with ball in hand and terrible without it. Durdin to me is someone who has talent, ability and commitment/competitiveness and that's when you get players who often become something special. He's terrific with the ball in hand but he's also fantastic when it's in dispute or in the opposition's hand and that is what we want as a team.

I think Durdin will be a player we will really enjoy watching. I think those who are not great at keeping the ball in a contest and either winning it or breaking even will be moved on next year regardless of talent. Those players who aren't good with the ball in dispute or in the oppositions possession aren't likely to be kept around. I am really hoping that some of our talented types click as having guys who are good with the ball in hand but also good at the other stuff really helps build a strong side and is a non-negotiable in winning a premiership.

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Plowman Young McGovern
Saad Weitering Williams
Kemp Cripps Hewitt
Martin Curnow Fisher
Honey McKay Silvagni
TDK Walsh Cerra
Stocker Kennedy Philip Newman

McGovern as the third tall in defence with Plowman as the lockdown mid defender. Weitering to take the number 1 forward, Young the second. Newman bench defender playing a role as rebounder with Saad and Williams.

I really like the idea of Kemp as a tall mobile winger, floating forward and back, circa Kouta early days. Philip coming off the bench to play wing.
Forward line is pretty dynamic, Martin good over head, Fisher playing high half forward, Honey crumbing but also good in the air, Silvagni and Curnow roaming up the ground with Harry the deepest.

Stocker and Kennedy as midfield rotations.

Dow, O Brien, Setterfield, Durdin, Williamson, Pittonet, Carol, Ed Curnow, Newnes, Owies and McDonald as the main depth. I could see a few guys pushing for a senior spot if guys don't perform.

Marchbank and Cuningham are best 22 when fit and healthy. Wait and see how they go.

Justnetime

Team Captain
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Durdin was super impressive, he kicked goals but also set them up and created elite forward pressure. He showed a lot of natural forward craft. Fisher has been serviceable but hasn't done much as a forward. What Durdin does that Fisher doesn't is hit the man and the ball in dispute hard. That is something we haven't done well as a team but is just super important. This is how teams "defend" in modern footy. Rather than give up possession they are good at keeping the ball in a contest. This is what was wrong with our defence and something Fisher hasn't been good at despite being fast and agile. This is something I thought Durdin did really well at.

Fisher is someone who has loads and loads of talent and ability. So did SPS, so does O'Brien, so does Dow. Despite their talent they are still fringe and this is what people mean by talent only getting you so far. They are players who are brilliant with ball in hand and terrible without it. Durdin to me is someone who has talent, ability and commitment/competitiveness and that's when you get players who often become something special. He's terrific with the ball in hand but he's also fantastic when it's in dispute or in the opposition's hand and that is what we want as a team.

I think Durdin will be a player we will really enjoy watching. I think those who are not great at keeping the ball in a contest and either winning it or breaking even will be moved on next year regardless of talent. Those players who aren't good with the ball in dispute or in the oppositions possession aren't likely to be kept around. I am really hoping that some of our talented types click as having guys who are good with the ball in hand but also good at the other stuff really helps build a strong side and is a non-negotiable in winning a premiership.

Fisher had an injury effected year this year and last year so it clouds a lot. When he got injured early this season they left him on field when he looked really sore (really poor player mgmt). This year he tackled more than Castagna and Charlie Cameron on overall averages. But he tackled less inside forward 50 Which is important To your point. But go back the year before and his tackles inside forward 50 were way higher when he had a specific forward role. It shows physicality and shows he can play the role if he can outmatch Castagna who is one of the first players to ever play the role.

I think the only accusation that should be levelled against Fisher is that he might be injury prone.

In terms of your statement about Fisher not doing much forward, please don’t forget that for the last 5 years we have had both Cripps and Ed Curnow delivering the ball inside 50. They both can’t complete a weighted kick to advantage. It illustrates why McKay is our best forward because with him, you can put the ball high and straight up in the air. On top of toward delivery, give some allowance to how bad Carlton have been and have been in ball transition.

Think of Fisher at Richmond during their 3 flag years as a small forward. Would have been lauded there by now and easily in front of Castagna on class. Carlton are a basket case club. Eddie left, Waite left, Tuohy left. All had form line success elsewhere.

Lets revisit this year if two things happen. Carlton make the 8 with decent transition strategy and Fisher completes a season. Think you will find he is a popular best 22.

As for Durdin, looking forward to him progressing too. Like what you see.

4flagsin5yrs

Premiership Player
Dec 30, 2020
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton

Carlton coach Michael Voss has declared Mitch McGovern is “super keen” to reinvigorate his career at full-back in a team set to embrace a selfless culture.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Don't recall Voss stating Gov would play fullback or KPD, just that he could play as a defender

“Obviously, Lewis (Young) coming in is one of the names straight away,” Voss said.

“We are certainly happy to explore Mitch McGovern as one of the names going back. I have had those conversations with him already, and he has been super keen to maybe take on a challenge like that.

It was suggested that when we acquired Young, that he would play as a 3rd tall behind Weits and Jones. With Jones retiring, Young would move to a KPD/Jones replacement and then needing another 3rd tall/interceptor, hence why Gov's name has come up

Last edited:
Given the large turn-out yesterday for training, I'm going to assume there's no LTIs and everyone is available for selection.
Let's see who gets squeezed out.

FB: Plowman - Young - Marchbank
HB: Saad - Weitering - Williams
C: Docherty - Cripps - Cerra
HF: Cuningham – C.Curnow - Martin
FF: Fisher - McKay - Honey

R: TDK - Walsh - Hewett
Int: Kemp - JSOS – McGovern - Stocker

The interchange is very versatile, all of these players can play multiple positions
Hopefully, we can see this team a few times in 2022 - finals bound baby!!!
My iffy players are Cuningham and Fisher.

So who got squeezed out?

Unlucky/ Depth
  1. Dow – It was either Dow or Cuningham, I went with Cunners
  2. Newman – I just can’t find a spot for him. He can't be ahead of Plowman. Plowman is very good at his role and very versatile too
  3. Kennedy – Should he play instead of Cuningham?
  4. Philp - He's ready to step up

Now looking at the team, we should definitely get Motlop at the ND.
He can come in and replace Fisher/ Cuningham.
We need a natural/ crafty small forward

Last edited:

Justnetime

Team Captain
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Yep - Durdin showed more in one game than Fisher did all year

Jeez, this is soo wrong. Durdin got 4 disposal average - 4 with a capital F. I get the pressure argument to some degree. But Durdins inside 50 tackles of 0.5 isn’t something to talk up yet. Maybe soon but not yet. One percenters easily favours Fisher too which is a good indicator.

No slight on Durdin intended. But Fisher has him covered.

I think when people are not happy with a player like on all losing match day rants, they simply call out for the untried player who hasn’t exasperated them yet.

Garters

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
So is he stripped of captaincy?
Stripped sounds a harsh term, however the captaincy needs to be removed from both Doc and Cripps. Both for different reasons haven't excelled / been able to excel in the role. One captain in my view and give it to Weiters.

Stripped sounds a harsh term, however the captaincy needs to be removed from both Doc and Cripps. Both for different reasons haven't excelled / been able to excel in the role. One captain in my view and give it to Weiters.
I was thinking this way, but with Jones gone Weiters have enough responsibilities to look after the backlines.
So, I think just Cripps for Captain - a smaller change

GapInIkonPark

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
B. Docherty. McGovern. Plowman.
HB. Marchbank. Weitering. Saad.
M. Hewett. Cerra. O’Brien.
R. Pittonet. Cripps. Walsh.
HF. Martin. Charlie Curnow. Cuningham.
F. Owies. McKay. Fisher.
I. Williams. JSOS. Stocker. TDK.
E. Setterfield. Honey. Philp. Kemp.

... Newman. Dow. Kennedy. Durdin. Carroll. Williamson. Young.

4flagsin5yrs

Premiership Player
Dec 30, 2020
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Think on 2021 exposed form, Owies gets a gig (well) before Durdin and possibly Fisher too.

Fisher is a mid imo and a different type of mid to most others on our list.

Is Honey picked ahead of Owies or Fisher? Tough one.

Was Cuners at training yesterday?

The knee went mid May - only 6 months back....certainly would be very limited training.

Kennedy? Love the guy, reckon Voss will too.

I think Marchbank (fingers crossed) will be close for Rd 1 but does het get an immediate gong ahead of either Newman or Plowman? (it's a no from me)

When will Doc be able to play??

Young or McGovern? Certainly the fact the young fella is 201cm odd helps his cause....the key forwards aren't getting shorter!

The Guv is versatile too - he's too good to not be in the 22 if fit.

Like others, one Captain. Prefer Weiters.

Those in the wings will press hard too - Carroll, Philp.

Who do we take in the draft?

I'd be talking to LOB/Cotters (has he beefed up or what?) seeing if one would be ok with a SSP spot - then take 2 lives picks in the draft?

A small and a tall.

Unless they have a mature ager in mind in the SSP (KPD type). But that would suggest no faith in OMac, Guv and/or Young....

ps As others have pointed out, it's Honey and Kennedy taking draft spots as rookie upgrades. The other two are promised rookie spots...so that changes the equation. Or can 1 of Honey/Kennedy stay as a rookie.....if there's a will,.....?

Last edited:
Back