Big Cricket Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Gaggin doesn't want to take it lying down.
1637645807694.png

Jul 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast Wonders, West Perth
The Worst is reporting that Sam Whiteman is leaving the Scorchers. I can't find any other articles and because it's the Worst, this one's behind a paywall.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
The Worst is reporting that Sam Whiteman is leaving the Scorchers. I can't find any other articles and because it's the Worst, this one's behind a paywall.

He isn’t a huge loss tbh. Was handy reserves player but nothing special

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Ok 90's through to now test best 11.

1. Hayden
2. Kallis
3. Lara
4. Smith
5. Ponting
6. Tendulkar
7. Gilchrist
8. Warne
9. Steyn
10. Younis
11. Mcgrath

Explanations.

1. There is no genuine second opener however any of 2 to 6 except smith have the technical ability to do it and with Lara and Ponting behind them even if they drop a couple of early wickets it's a steady line up. Have Tendulkar and Sangakkara lower order as they have great ability to score with the lower order. The other issue with the side is even though it is littered with captains none were known as great tacticians.

Now onto unlucky players. The unluckiest would be Waugh, Sehwag, de Villiers, Williamson, Gilchrist and Akram. I made a promise to myself to only pick 1 keeper.

Onto the bowlers.

There was one spot really for a spinner and Warne did it all over the world with an action that can be replicated and in a team that wasn't designed around just him taking wickets. He played in sides with some of the greatest fast bowlers of his generation. Ask almost any batsmen of his era who the best bowler in the world was and they would say his name almost instantly.

Younis, his fastest bowling was actually done before they recorded all the balls but even after a back injury reduced his speed he still manages to spit out balls above 150 km/h. From all my watching he is the fastest bowler I have seen. His strike rate is also absolutely phenomenal.

Steyn, again an amazing fast bowler especially for his height and criminally underrated imo. Even as he slowed down he still found ways to take wickets. At his peak he had spectacular pace and almost as much precision as Mcgrath.

McGrath, he started out bowling at 140 and ended up at 128-130 km/h but still maintained easily the best average of any of the quicks and with nothing more than line, length and very subtle variations took 500+ test wickets. An average of 21 bowling on roads basically at times in Australia and absolutely miserly.

Kallis the all rounder. He went for a bit of a beating with his bowling at the end of his career that ruined his figures a bit but again such a miserly bowler and easily the best all rounder to play during this period.

To the Batsmen

Hayden. Dominance personified, 5 times score more than 1000 in a calender year, the only criticism being a lot of runs against weaker sides however still managed an average of almost 60 against India and above 51 against Sri Lanka so for any technical concerns he was still dominant against the worlds best spinners. The only player to really get on top of him was Singh.

Kallis. Third highest run scorer of all time, average of 55 and took almost 300 test wickets as well..... The greatest batting all rounder of all time. Also just absolute pure grit. Also a star in the slips.

Lara. Arguably the greatest test batsman of the modern era. So many of his runs came before superbats and holds the highest test and first class score of all time.

Smith. Probably the most debatable pick in the side. However considering he started as a leg spinner who could bat a bit hindering his average and a year away from the game yet 7500 runs at 62 relying on his eye and timing rather than power gets him the nod.

Ponting. His peak years were menacing and probably the greatest of all the batsmen on this list and even though his last few tours were disappointing he is the second highest run scorer of all time. The only part of his game that can really be questioned was his captaincy, but following on from imo the most distinguished captain of all time it was hard to compete. Also arguably the greatest fielder of the era (probably second)

Tendulkar. Arguably the greatest test player of the era. Averaged more runs in Australia and England (the two great rivals worldwide and the most differing conditions to home) than he did in his own country. More centuries than any other player, more half centuries than any other player.

Gilchrist. Picked over sangakkara for multiple reasons. 1. A significantly better keeper with almost triple the dismissals and secondly actually significantly hurt his batting average playing a team role later on in his career trying to get quick runs.

Lastly I would like to mention Steve Waugh. Most will see his statistics, that he batted at number 5 and go well he doesn't deserve a spot. However after starting as an all rounder he is perhaps the unluckiest player not to be in the side. from 1990 to the end of 2001 he averaged 60+, played entirely without superbats and is renowned as one of the great captains. If not for probably the greatest comeback of all time he would have conquered all opponents home and away.

If this was an all time list Warne, Kallis and Gilchrist (perhaps smith at the end of his career) may well be the only players to challenge the list. (Smith could by retirement)

Bradman, Graeme Pollock, Sobers, Hobbs, Hutton (also very handy bowler) and potentially Richards, Chappell, potentially to come in as batsmen.
Hadley to come in as an all rounder and much to my dismay probably the best i've seen play then you have other amazing all rounders in Khan, Botham who can lay claim to a spot as can Khan.
Lillee, Marshall, Barnes as bowlers.

My all time top 11
Hobbs
Hutton
Bradman
Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist
Khan
Hadlee
Warne
Lillee
Barnes
12th man Graeme Pollock

Gilchrist and Warne of current players make the list. Of those players like Hobbs and Barnes due to the limited amount of test cricket played you need to look at their first class careers. I have a personal opinion that superbats have made the current era too batting dominant particularly with the ropes being brought in as well. I marvelled the first time I saw Gilchrist hit a six at the G off the toe of the bat and the power and timing were perfect. I thought no-one could ever do it again. Now you top edge the ball and it's six against fast bowlers anywhere from deep cover point to square leg. If you look at the peaks of players careers (i've discounted murali as far as im concerned he is a chucker, first time i saw him bowl i called no ball) and discount superbats being an issue then the batting line up changes a bit and could include Smith, Ponting and to a lesser extent Lara. The bowling list could also include Younis, Marshall and Steyn. If smith continues his career averaging above 60 for 2-3 more years not only would I have him make the current side but also the greatest of all time side.

The rise of the batting wicketkeeper poses a real challenge to the current and all time lists. Gilchrist the significantly better keeper but Sangakkara the better or perhaps better placed batsman. Gilchrist sacrificing his game as a batsman for quicker runs whilst being a much, much better keeper is the only real argument here imo. I've gone Gilchrist due to Wicketkeeper being a genuine position and almost triple the dismissals.

Of those playing for commonwealth countries Sir Jack Hobbs, Sir Len Hutton, Sir Donald Bradman, Sir Garfield Sobers, Sir Richard Hadlee. I hope Lillee gets the same accolade as he does deserve it.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Ok 90's through to now test best 11.

1. Hayden
2. Kallis
3. Lara
4. Smith
5. Ponting
6. Tendulkar
7. Gilchrist
8. Warne
9. Steyn
10. Younis
11. Mcgrath

Explanations.

1. There is no genuine second opener however any of 2 to 6 except smith have the technical ability to do it and with Lara and Ponting behind them even if they drop a couple of early wickets it's a steady line up. Have Tendulkar and Sangakkara lower order as they have great ability to score with the lower order. The other issue with the side is even though it is littered with captains none were known as great tacticians.

Now onto unlucky players. The unluckiest would be Waugh, Sehwag, de Villiers, Williamson, Gilchrist and Akram. I made a promise to myself to only pick 1 keeper.

Onto the bowlers.

There was one spot really for a spinner and Warne did it all over the world with an action that can be replicated and in a team that wasn't designed around just him taking wickets. He played in sides with some of the greatest fast bowlers of his generation. Ask almost any batsmen of his era who the best bowler in the world was and they would say his name almost instantly.

Younis, his fastest bowling was actually done before they recorded all the balls but even after a back injury reduced his speed he still manages to spit out balls above 150 km/h. From all my watching he is the fastest bowler I have seen. His strike rate is also absolutely phenomenal.

Steyn, again an amazing fast bowler especially for his height and criminally underrated imo. Even as he slowed down he still found ways to take wickets. At his peak he had spectacular pace and almost as much precision as Mcgrath.

McGrath, he started out bowling at 140 and ended up at 128-130 km/h but still maintained easily the best average of any of the quicks and with nothing more than line, length and very subtle variations took 500+ test wickets. An average of 21 bowling on roads basically at times in Australia and absolutely miserly.

Kallis the all rounder. He went for a bit of a beating with his bowling at the end of his career that ruined his figures a bit but again such a miserly bowler and easily the best all rounder to play during this period.

To the Batsmen

Hayden. Dominance personified, 5 times score more than 1000 in a calender year, the only criticism being a lot of runs against weaker sides however still managed an average of almost 60 against India and above 51 against Sri Lanka so for any technical concerns he was still dominant against the worlds best spinners. The only player to really get on top of him was Singh.

Kallis. Third highest run scorer of all time, average of 55 and took almost 300 test wickets as well..... The greatest batting all rounder of all time. Also just absolute pure grit. Also a star in the slips.

Lara. Arguably the greatest test batsman of the modern era. So many of his runs came before superbats and holds the highest test and first class score of all time.

Smith. Probably the most debatable pick in the side. However considering he started as a leg spinner who could bat a bit hindering his average and a year away from the game yet 7500 runs at 62 relying on his eye and timing rather than power gets him the nod.

Ponting. His peak years were menacing and probably the greatest of all the batsmen on this list and even though his last few tours were disappointing he is the second highest run scorer of all time. The only part of his game that can really be questioned was his captaincy, but following on from imo the most distinguished captain of all time it was hard to compete. Also arguably the greatest fielder of the era (probably second)

Tendulkar. Arguably the greatest test player of the era. Averaged more runs in Australia and England (the two great rivals worldwide and the most differing conditions to home) than he did in his own country. More centuries than any other player, more half centuries than any other player.

Gilchrist. Picked over sangakkara for multiple reasons. 1. A significantly better keeper with almost triple the dismissals and secondly actually significantly hurt his batting average playing a team role later on in his career trying to get quick runs.

Lastly I would like to mention Steve Waugh. Most will see his statistics, that he batted at number 5 and go well he doesn't deserve a spot. However after starting as an all rounder he is perhaps the unluckiest player not to be in the side. from 1990 to the end of 2001 he averaged 60+, played entirely without superbats and is renowned as one of the great captains. If not for probably the greatest comeback of all time he would have conquered all opponents home and away.

If this was an all time list Warne, Kallis and Gilchrist (perhaps smith at the end of his career) may well be the only players to challenge the list. (Smith could by retirement)

Bradman, Graeme Pollock, Sobers, Hobbs, Hutton (also very handy bowler) and potentially Richards, Chappell, potentially to come in as batsmen.
Hadley to come in as an all rounder and much to my dismay probably the best i've seen play then you have other amazing all rounders in Khan, Botham who can lay claim to a spot as can Khan.
Lillee, Marshall, Barnes as bowlers.

My all time top 11
Hobbs
Hutton
Bradman
Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist
Khan
Hadlee
Warne
Lillee
Barnes
12th man Graeme Pollock

Gilchrist and Warne of current players make the list. Of those players like Hobbs and Barnes due to the limited amount of test cricket played you need to look at their first class careers. I have a personal opinion that superbats have made the current era too batting dominant particularly with the ropes being brought in as well. I marvelled the first time I saw Gilchrist hit a six at the G off the toe of the bat and the power and timing were perfect. I thought no-one could ever do it again. Now you top edge the ball and it's six against fast bowlers anywhere from deep cover point to square leg. If you look at the peaks of players careers (i've discounted murali as far as im concerned he is a chucker, first time i saw him bowl i called no ball) and discount superbats being an issue then the batting line up changes a bit and could include Smith, Ponting and to a lesser extent Lara. The bowling list could also include Younis, Marshall and Steyn. If smith continues his career averaging above 60 for 2-3 more years not only would I have him make the current side but also the greatest of all time side.

The rise of the batting wicketkeeper poses a real challenge to the current and all time lists. Gilchrist the significantly better keeper but Sangakkara the better or perhaps better placed batsman. Gilchrist sacrificing his game as a batsman for quicker runs whilst being a much, much better keeper is the only real argument here imo. I've gone Gilchrist due to Wicketkeeper being a genuine position and almost triple the dismissals.

Of those playing for commonwealth countries Sir Jack Hobbs, Sir Len Hutton, Sir Donald Bradman, Sir Garfield Sobers, Sir Richard Hadlee. I hope Lillee gets the same accolade as he does deserve it.
Great read.

Aren't all major cricket nations Commonwealth countries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back