Past George Hewett - free agent to Carlton, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

zQRnVjAT.jpg

George Hewett

George Hewett is regularly praised in the media by his teammates and coach John Longmire for his steadfast reliability. Regardless of whether the 2013 draftee is tasked with winning the footy or blanketing a ball magnet, he has the full trust of the Sydney Swans camp. Dustin Martin, Patrick Cripps and Shaun Higgins are just some of the gun midfielders Hewett has shut down in his unheralded career as a Swan. The South Australian carved out a career-best season in 2019 en route to finishing second in the Bob Skilton Medal voting, joining star duo Dane Rampe and Luke Parker on the podium.

George Hewett
DOB: 29 December 1995
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #32, 2013 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Broughton-Mundoora (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

This does not put a smile on my face.

Nor I, but we can either be sad that we lost him and wish misery for him, or be sad that we lost him and at least hope he achieves the success he deserves.

I know which I prefer.

Nor I, but we can either be sad that we lost him and wish misery for him, or be sad that we lost him and at least hope he achieves the success he deserves.

I know which I prefer.

I definitely hope all the success in the world for Hewett. He did not leave because he wanted to leave, he left because for some completely crazy reason we wanted to get rid of him.

I definitely hope all the success in the world for Hewett. He did not leave because he wanted to leave, he left because for some completely crazy reason we wanted to get rid of him.

Agreed, but it's done now. He's at Carlton and so that is where he will make a name for himself, nowhere else. I am more interested in that than dwelling on our decision.

I hope he plays well for a crap team because they will come after him that mob should he not live up to a 4 year contract at 450K per season.
He gave us great service George did.

Huh, George will have plenty of cover. Martin, Williams and probably Cripps have bigger targets on their backs

B: Docherty - Marchbank - Plowman
HB: Saad - Weitering - Newman
C: Newnes - Cripps - Dow
HF: Martin - C Curnow - Fogarty
F: Fisher - McKay - de Koning
R: Pittonet - Walsh - Williams
INT: Kennedy - E Curnow - Hewett - Silvagni - (Stocker)

Hewett probably isn't a starting mid for them if all healthy.

No one there is good at the negating role like Hewett is. Hewett is able to significantly lower an opposition midfielders output while keeping a reasonable output of his own.

Think Cerra might make the team? Instead of Dow maybe?
Is Doc healthy? Or will Zac Williams be playing back?

Think Cerra might make the team? Instead of Dow maybe?
Is Doc healthy? Or will Zac Williams be playing back?

I forgot Cerra, but it's just a best case scenario 22. Cerra being there makes it harder for Hewett again though.

I forgot Cerra, but it's just a best case scenario 22. Cerra being there makes it harder for Hewett again though.
Hewett is in our best 22, so he romps it into Carlton's. You'd shift others around, play them off half forward or coming in from a wing if you had to. I reckon they didn't sign him for 4 years as a depth player, probably the kind of player that Voss wants in.

Hewetts best 22. We didnt sign him on 4 years to play in the 2's!

Question marks over Dow and Kennedy, and SPS has now been moved on. Ed Curnow is our current tagger/ defensive mid and he's 32 (33 next year). Endurance player though so they tend to last longer.

Presuming a fit and healthy list:

C: Hewett - Cripps - Williams
F: Fisher - McKay - Silvagni
R: De Koenig - Walsh - Cerra
INT: McGovern - E Curnow - Stocker - Kemp

The only reason McGovern is there is due to the need for a tall on the bench (second ruck, and back up KPP).

Docherty has only just finished chemo, and will need time to come back and get back into shape (plus a clean bill of heath) and Marchbank is coming off a knee so I doubt you would see either till midway through the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question marks over Dow and Kennedy, and SPS has now been moved on. Ed Curnow is our current tagger/ defensive mid and he's 32 (33 next year). Endurance player though so they tend to last longer.

The only reason McGovern is there is due to the need for a tall on the bench (second ruck, and back up KPP).

Docherty has only just finished chemo, and will need time to come back and get back into shape (plus a clean bill of heath) and Marchbank is coming off a knee so I doubt you would see either till midway through the season.
I still cannot believe we let him go. Was a favourite of mine.

You have not just picked up a handy player, you've picked up a gun. There may be better players in your team, but few if any will use it as well as Hewett. He's great to watch, and if Voss is smart he will realise that Hewett is someone whose hands you want the ball in as much as possible and plan for that accordingly.

Congrats on an astute pick-up. I don't know what the Carlton board is like, but if Hewett's time at the Blues is anything like his time at the Swans, he won't give you lot a single reason to complain or criticise.

Will you play Williams back until Doc is fit or bring someone else in? Who covers Marchbank? Big losses.
I see you have de Köning in the ruck. In our game last year I thought he and Silvagni added very little to your forward line so I wonder why not Pittonet? Silvagni doesn't second ruck?
Neither of those guys really dragged their defenders away from McKay, who still got his share done. With McGovern it looks pretty top heavy up front and maybe rather slow. Gonna miss Eddie for sure.
Cheers for the post.
Hewett will give you regular good service.

Will you play Williams back until Doc is fit or bring someone else in? Who covers Marchbank? Big losses.

He wasnt giving us much in the midfield, so its HBF or the Wing for him (Williams).

We have some good HBFers in Saad, Newman (why did you guys let him go?), Docherty when fit and now Williams.

It's KPD we're struggling with. Jones turning out to be an anti-vaxxer hurts. Weiterings a gun, and Plowman (much maligned) gets the third tall, but would get slaughtered in a KPD role.

I see you have de Köning in the ruck. In our game last year I thought he and Silvagni added very little to your forward line so I wonder why not Pittonet? Silvagni doesn't second ruck?

Casboult was our back up ruck, and he's gone now. McGovern is the best 'like for like' replacement and odds are he'll be used as a spare swingman KPD/ ruck.

Silvagni, for all the hate he gets from outsiders straightens us up. He's a crafty bastard, just undersized. He's been given every role under the sun (other than defence) and has done well. He generally gets a job done.

Neither of those guys really dragged their defenders away from McKay, who still got his share done. With McGovern it looks pretty top heavy up front and maybe rather slow. Gonna miss Eddie for sure.

McKay is tall enough that he drags frees for arm chops (he's 204cms or 6'9"). His weakness is he doesnt crash packs like the best forwards do. If we have a fit and firing C Curnow in tandem with him that should be enough to cause most defenders issues. Add Martin (and a resting De Koning) and it's looking dangerous.

I actually think McKay might come down to earth a bit next year. He earnt a lot of goals of Eddie sheparding the defenders away from him (as good forwards do). I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

We'd love a small forward. Drafted one last year (Durdin) who looked OK at the end of the year. We've been also trying to cram Fisher and Owies into the role with limited success.

Hewett will give you regular good service.

Hope so. Seemed like a pretty quiet and chilled dude in his interview. The type of bloke that turns up, puts in, gets a job done well, and goes home without much fanfare.

He wasnt giving us much in the midfield, so its HBF or the Wing for him (Williams).

We have some good HBFers in Saad, Newman (why did you guys let him go?), Docherty when fit and now Williams.

It's KPD we're struggling with. Jones turning out to be an anti-vaxxer hurts. Weiterings a gun, and Plowman (much maligned) gets the third tall, but would get slaughtered in a KPD role.

Casboult was our back up ruck, and he's gone now. McGovern is the best 'like for like' replacement and odds are he'll be used as a spare swingman KPD/ ruck.

Silvagni, for all the hate he gets from outsiders straightens us up. He's a crafty bastard, just undersized. He's been given every role under the sun (other than defence) and has done well. He generally gets a job done.

McKay is tall enough that he drags frees for arm chops (he's 204cms or 6'9"). His weakness is he doesnt crash packs like the best forwards do. If we have a fit and firing C Curnow in tandem with him that should be enough to cause most defenders issues. Add Martin (and a resting De Koning) and it's looking dangerous.

I actually think McKay might come down to earth a bit next year. He earnt a lot of goals of Eddie sheparding the defenders away from him (as good forwards do). I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

We'd love a small forward. Drafted one last year (Durdin) who looked OK at the end of the year. We've been also trying to cram Fisher and Owies into the role with limited success.

Hope so. Seemed like a pretty quiet and chilled dude in his interview. The type of bloke that turns up, puts in, gets a job done well, and goes home without much fanfare.

To add further to the imported Bloods culture at the Blues, I reckon your mob might have a serious look at Jack Maibaum. He was most unlucky to be delisted by us, with an ACL and then a family tragedy ruining his time with us. He had a very good year in the VFL and would walk into Jones' position.

Pretty much every Board member here mourns the loss of George. As a mid he is bomb proof. Runs both ways (a rarity for your mob) and does a lot of tough team oriented work. Ask him to lock down an oppo mid and he will say no problems Chief. He will do it and still win a lot of contested possies.

As caesar88 and others have noted, Voss will want the ball in his hands for his decision making and skill on both sides.

This is now getting like the bad old days when much of Carlton's success relied on buying South players.

You have not just picked up a handy player, you've picked up a gun. There may be better players in your team, but few if any will use it as well as Hewett. He's great to watch, and if Voss is smart he will realise that Hewett is someone whose hands you want the ball in as much as possible and plan for that accordingly.

Congrats on an astute pick-up. I don't know what the Carlton board is like, but if Hewett's time at the Blues is anything like his time at the Swans, he won't give you lot a single reason to complain or criticise.

Describes George pretty well. Fans will need to watch him closely as he doesn't make a big splash, just gets on with doing the important things. When Mills and JPK were both out he almost pulled it off for us in the EF. His disposal is very accurate and clean and he's hard as nails.
Pretty sure we would have kept him if Dawson had been up front earlier. Part of why the club was so annoyed I think.

I cannot remember a time when I could say that Hewett had a bad game. In the Richmond game Horse put him in defence to shut down Dusty. Dusty was ineffectual for most of the game. You have to actually watch Hewett and block every thing else out to truly appreciate what he does every game. He is the unsung hero. The quiet achiever. Mr Under the Radar. He is like oxygen. When you wake up every morning you don't think I need oxygen. But you do. That is Hewett.

I cannot remember a time when I could say that Hewett had a bad game. In the Richmond game Horse put him in defence to shut down Dusty. Dusty was ineffectual for most of the game. You have to actually watch Hewett and block every thing else out to truly appreciate what he does every game. He is the unsung hero. The quiet achiever. Mr Under the Radar. He is like oxygen. When you wake up every morning you don't think I need oxygen. But you do. That is Hewett.

This year against Essendon early in the year was the worst game of his career probably (I saw it recently).

Fwiw i never said he isnt best 22 at Carlton, I have doubts he is a starting mid which means he's basically in the same or a worse position than with us.

This year against Essendon early in the year was the worst game of his career probably (I saw it recently).

Fwiw i never said he isnt best 22 at Carlton, I have doubts he is a starting mid which means he's basically in the same or a worse position than with us.
I never said you said. I was just commenting on Hewett from my heart as a Swans supporter.

Now I know why I've been having trouble breathing since October

Now I know why I've been having trouble breathing since October
I just hope it does not have the corresponding residual effect on our team next year and a corresponding resurgence in Carlton's fortunes.
He was and is a reliable player. Sometimes that is better than exciting new players with their new shiny toy possibilities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back