Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
These players not getting vaccinated is weird considering the money they are making. Liam Jones has retired so he loses his final year contract (and potentially another contract with Carlton/elsewhere) but how long will remaining unvaccinated last until he realizes he wants to start doing stuff that vaccinated people can do and then gets vaccinated? 6 months and then he suddenly realizes that he is down $400-500k because he made a shocker of a decision 6 months earlier?

It’s amazing how hard people are prepared to make life for themselves to avoid having two needles.
Probably been given dozens of needles by club docs over the years and not asked what’s in it as well.

Touk Miller re-signs for 5 years. Guess we know where the Greenwood money went.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo

Good on them, a good effort.
Denounced gambling revenue while doing so as well

While being ****ed over stadium deal and fixture wise by the AFL/CH7/Marvel.

They make it tougher for a few teams, but we are proud to be able to do. Respect

Love to see North welcoming Laidley back into the club too

Last edited:
Also just quietly weren't people rubbishing the notion someone else would take Dawson if we sent him to the draft?
Not to necrobump, but there's a difference here.

GC delisted Greenwood, making him a free agent, whereas with Dawson it would have been his contract expiring.

Point being that Greenwood was free to turn down the contract from North if he wanted to, but he's indicated he wants to play there. Don't think clubs would risk drafting a player who doesn't want to be there.

All irrelevant now of course.

Not to necrobump, but there's a difference here.

GC delisted Greenwood, making him a free agent, whereas with Dawson it would have been his contract expiring.

Point being that Greenwood was free to turn down the contract from North if he wanted to, but he's indicated he wants to play there. Don't think clubs would risk drafting a player who doesn't want to be there.

All irrelevant now of course.

I guess my point of comparison would be any club would be able to offer Dawson a huge contract to tempt him to move there instead of Adelaide. It's all supposition but the notion that there's no point trying to tempt these players because they'll just go where they've declared they want to go (as Greenwood's tweet several days before the news broke suggested) is false.

were-putting-the-band-back-together-were-getting-back-together.gif

Egan, Taylor, Kelly and Byrnes all IN as coaches/fitness.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Got to admire North’s stance against pokies. Always been disappointed with clubs being involved and in particular my club..pathetic
Slippery slope that the afl needs to address. The afl and its broadcasters make just as much money through the likes of sportsbet, Ned's etc. The amount of sports betting ads during afl games and Australian sport is quite stark when you compare it to watching sport around the world.

Slippery slope that the afl needs to address. The afl and its broadcasters make just as much money through the likes of sportsbet, Ned's etc. The amount of sports betting ads during afl games and Australian sport is quite stark when you compare it to watching sport around the world.

Is it? Get plenty of betting ads during the football over in England.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Is it? Get plenty of betting ads during the football over in England.
Barely noticed them compared to in Australia. Different sort of product with breaks being less regular. But free to air footy coverage seems to have ads after most goals and most ad breaks having one of the betting partners. Come half time you get another 10+

Guess with football it's limited to just half time and pre-game if you watch the pre-game. Post game there's normally another game to watch so barely notice it again there.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Barely noticed them compared to in Australia. Different sort of product with breaks being less regular. But free to air footy coverage seems to have ads after most goals and most ad breaks having one of the betting partners. Come half time you get another 10+

Guess with football it's limited to just half time and pre-game if you watch the pre-game. Post game there's normally another game to watch so barely notice it again there.

And advertising on hoardings and player shirts in football.. how many AFL clubs have a betting company on their top?

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
And advertising on hoardings and player shirts in football.. how many AFL clubs have a betting company on their top?
I was talking purely pre-game the volume on tv. It probably does just come down to the way the product is viewed differently rather than the actual amount of ads. I very rarely would have seen or paid attention to the ads during Sky or BT football games over there. Whereas on 7 or Fox Footy its hard not to remember the same game multi ads with Nathan Brown or Brownless

Can't argue with the shirt sponsors which have been constant for the online marketing companies. Gotta question the ROI on those sports sponsorship deals, there's that many out there it's hard to even remember who sponsors who and how many sign ups 32Bet get for being on a Boro or Derby shirt?

I was talking purely pre-game the volume on tv. It probably does just come down to the way the product is viewed differently rather than the actual amount of ads. I very rarely would have seen or paid attention to the ads during Sky or BT football games over there. Whereas on 7 or Fox Footy its hard not to remember the same game multi ads with Nathan Brown or Brownless

Can't argue with the shirt sponsors which have been constant for the online marketing companies. Gotta question the ROI on those sports sponsorship deals, there's that many out there it's hard to even remember who sponsors who and how many sign ups 32Bet get for being on a Boro or Derby shirt?

Yeah shirt sponsorships have gotta mainly be an ego thing than any legitimate marketing surely, how many people buy something because their football team has it on their shirt?

I don't even know what our sponsor does..

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Yeah shirt sponsorships have gotta mainly be an ego thing than any legitimate marketing surely, how many people buy something because their football team has it on their shirt?

I don't even know what our sponsor does..
I get some shirt sponsors how they could see value. But largely it makes no sense especially the lower down you go the football pyramid. Eyeballs on a Liverpool shirt around the world obviously has a monetary value. But what's the point for 32Bet spending money for being on a Derby shirt? I only know 32Bet is sponsoring them by looking it up not from remembering seeing it.

But with online betting companies it seems like there's probably 30+ out there on shirts in Europe. And off the top of my head I can't think of any of their names and who they sponsor. So it shows how well their marketing is going.

I get some shirt sponsors how they could see value. But largely it makes no sense especially the lower down you go the football pyramid. Eyeballs on a Liverpool shirt around the world obviously has a monetary value. But what's the point for 32Bet spending money for being on a Derby shirt? I only know 32Bet is sponsoring them by looking it up not from remembering seeing it.

But with online betting companies it seems like there's probably 30+ out there on shirts in Europe. And off the top of my head I can't think of any of their names and who they sponsor. So it shows how well their marketing is going.

Isn't the idea probably more about advertising to that set of supporters, since they're the ones who see them every week?

I heard an interesting story the other day about (I think) Accrington Stanley getting quite big sponsorships because they were played on FIFA a lot, Hungry Jacks sponsored them or something.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Isn't the idea probably more about advertising to that set of supporters, since they're the ones who see them every week?

I heard an interesting story the other day about (I think) Accrington Stanley getting quite big sponsorships because they were played on FIFA a lot, Hungry Jacks sponsored them or something.
Yeah but like you said, you don't even know what Hull's sponsors do. s**t even with a product like insurance which I've got I wouldn't use AIA just because they sponsor Spurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back