Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

I think he was the insigater in bucks and Beams making up, and maybe encouraged them to get him when maybe Beams confided its something he'd like, to come bacl
Such a shame. Not sure what factors - Beams, last year's stuff up, anything else - but Sidey seems to have dramatically lost that utter joy that he used to exude on the footy field.

Such a shame. Not sure what factors - Beams, last year's stuff up, anything else - but Sidey seems to have dramatically lost that utter joy that he used to exude on the footy field.
Could also be like most players in the last year, grew tired of bucks, the game plan and hopefully a fresh start will also help him.

I have contacted several of the board nominees directly and have invited them to contribute to the discussion on our board,

Sean Callanan was the first to respond and I have started a thread where you can converse with him on the Magpies Board.

Please keep it respectful.
I hope many other nominees may take the opportunity to put their cases directly to us members here.

Yeah, I really hope he and Grundy regain some energy and mojo.
Me too. If a new change all through the club isn't the thing that kicks them back into gear, I don't know what will. I think McRae has really challenge Grundy after he was appointed, so hopefully Grundy takes this and does something.

I have contacted several of the board nominees directly and have invited them to contribute to the discussion on our board,

Chris MacDonald has also agreed to join the discussion and I have started a thread where you can converse with him on the Magpies Board.

Jeff Browne has just responded on behalf of the Jeff Browne Team.

I have invited him to respond in ether a single Jeff Browne Team thread or if they like, each of the nominees on his ticket can have a separate thread.

Once this is decided I will start the relevant thread/s.

I have been unable to contact Sal Perna, Amanda Cameron, Colin Moorhead, Renee Roberts (possibly on the Jeff Browne ticket) or Neil Wilson.
I have reached out to Mark Febbraio on Twitter but yet to get a return message.

I have been unable to contact Sal Perna, Amanda Cameron, Colin Moorhead, Renee Roberts (possibly on the Jeff Browne ticket) or Neil Wilson.

Maybe try contacting them through LinkedIn?

Not on LinkedIn
Anyone willing to do so please go ahead.
Anyone can start the threads.

Hmmm, maybe a better idea is to email the returning officer for the election (using the contact details on the Corpvote website), and get him or her to send out your invitation to all candidates?

It's true that alex got onto the board thru his x-man status. I'm not following the rest of it so you can get me with the details. However, I do know that they tried to place the newbies on the board without reading the rules and it seems that both newbies were "headhunted" by an outside firm and I wonder what skills Holgate brought to the process if she didnt read the rules or tell the headhunters to look at them. As I said, the racing guy indicated that he was told that his membership status was enough when it wasnt. I get the feeling that some of these people at the top are so used to using their x-man contacts to get things done that he feel that the rules dont apply to them.

And I agree that you know the story better and I cant be bothered, but I remain underimpressed by these high profile people who get on the board, irrespective of whether they're x-men.

It's interesting to see how another world's biggest club is going at the moment - Man United. Also run by people with plenty of money and hence plenty of knowledge and skills.

Gee, Jeff Browne is getting a great run by the media. “Jeff Browne has bold ambitions for the Pies” …

… that may be true, but all that was said in that clip is that he thinks we’re a few years away from talking about a Premiership, we’re around a year away from having our Salary cap being in order, and he plans for board member(s) to sit with the fans.

Where are the bold plans?!? (No criticism intended of Browne here, it’s channel 7 (in this case) pumping up his tyres!)

Yeah, of course he is the favourite, I wonder if the media are trying to curry favour?

It was a channel 7 report too....i would have liked to have been a fly on the wall at the editorial meeting when they were discussing how they would report the ex-channel 9 boss's journey to presidency. Maybe channel 7 wants to keep the AFL coverage and doesnt want to put Jeff offside

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeff Browne has just responded on behalf of the Jeff Browne Team.

I have invited him to respond in ether a single Jeff Browne Team thread or if they like, each of the nominees on his ticket can have a separate thread.

Once this is decided I will start the relevant thread/s.

I have reached out to Mark Febbraio on Twitter but yet to get a return message.

What did Browne say?

For those that haven't voted yet, you might want to know the candidates better. Often, it's best to listen to someone when they are talking about something other than the collingood footy club. Here Barry Carp talks (ironically) to Chris Judd about his passion to do business and make profit. He seems like a nice guy and I would sub him into any board as a direct replacement for alex waislitz... although he's probably not as rich as alex

I
What did Browne say?
I have not heard back yet, he has a few to contact I think.
We may have to submit questions to him via email as it may be difficult to coordinate several respondents.
If that is the case I will open a thread in which we can ask questions and send him the link.
he and his team can read them without being members and respond via the email which I and possibly another couple of members (in case one of us is busy)will then post back to the thread.

What did Browne say?

His response to my email invitation.

"Hi Pie eyed,

Thank you for your email and for the great work that you do providing a forum for passionate football supporters to engage and debate on Bigfooty.

We would be happy to contribute to your Magpies forum."

Collingwood’s probable next president Jeff Browne would approach the Victorian government and commit to appoint another woman to the club board to avoid the Magpies losing $15 million in state government funding, if necessary.

If the Magpie members do not elect two women to the board at the upcoming election, the club board that Browne is favoured to head would not meet the Victorian government’s recent policy of only providing funding to clubs with at least 40 percent women on their board.

Collingwood has $15m in state government funding expected from the state government, but the funding is dependent, as with other sporting organisations, on the club meeting that 40 percent quota, which in Collingwood’s case, would be three out of seven members of the club’s board of directors.
Only one woman, the club’s first Indigenous board member Jodie Sizer, is guaranteed a position on Collingwood’s board, as 11 candidates seek just four board spots. Incumbent director and ex-Australia Post chief executive Christine Holgate and APRA executive Renee Roberts are on Browne’s four-member ticket, along with wealthy venture capital fund manager Barry Carp.

Of the other seven candidates seeking election to the board, only one is a woman, health care executive Amanda Cameron.
Browne, the former AFL lawyer and Channel Nine boss, said on Tuesday that if the members did not vote for two women and thus the board did not meet the required three out of seven minimum, he would approach the Victorian government to make a commitment to appoint another woman as soon as possible.
“I’ll go and explain the situation regarding the election to the government and I’ll commit to that target,” he said, adding that he would tell the Victorian government that another woman would be appointed “as soon as practicable”.
Browne is favoured to win election to the board and assume the presidency, subject to his election, as a result of a peace deal that followed the threat of a full spill. Given Korda has agreed to give up the presidency and influential director Peter Murphy is not standing, there is not a clear cut alternative to Browne from remaining board members Korda, Sizer and Paul Licuria.
While Browne’s ticket is considered likely to win, if only one woman was elected, the need for three women would place pressure on a current director to stand down if to ensure the club secured that $15m. Korda would be the obvious candidate given he is quitting the board at the end of 2022.

Korda is handing over the presidency but plans to serve out his term, which winds up at the end of 2022.

The Magpies have secured $15 million from the federal government to fund a health and wellbeing research facility in partnership with Monash University, and have counted on gaining the same amount from the Victorian government to complete the research centre.

VRC chairman Neil Wilson is seeking election, essentially to ratify an appointment from earlier this season – Wilson did not have the necessary membership qualifications, as an MCC and Collingwood support member to be a fully-fledged director – but is not backed by Browne and would have to finish fourth or higher in the voting to hold his nominal, unratified board spot.
Dr Bridie O’Donnell, announced as a board member appointment this year, would have ensured the club filled the three-woman quota had she remained, but she has stepped down and chosen not to contest the election, having been in the same position as Wilson of needing a special motion passed at the annual general meeting (and to be elected first) to take her spot.

Victoria’s first Racing Integrity Commissioner and ex-Homicide squad member Sal Perna is another of the total of eight male candidates seeking a board position. From Collingwood’s 82,000 members, just 11,000-12,000 members in Collingwood’s upper level membership categories of Club 5, Legends and Social Club members are eligible to vote, in a system that the club will consider changing.

He’s got two women on his ticket, he must be nervous about one of them not getting up?

So now that we’re getting the hang of this democracy thingy, does that mean we‘ll then have another election where we pick amongst female only candidates?

Or will Browne just go back to making a captains call? And if he does, will he pick one of the women who lost the election? Or will he pick a woman who wasn’t interested in submitting herself for election?

🤔

(All this presuming he wins of course)

He’s got two women on his ticket, he must be nervous about one of them not getting up?

So now that we’re getting the hang of this democracy thingy, does that mean we‘ll then have another election where we pick amongst female only candidates?

Or will Browne just go back to making a captains call? And if he does, will he pick one of the women who lost the election? Or will he pick a woman who wasn’t interested in submitting herself for election?

🤔

(All this presuming he wins of course)
Think its more about covering all basis.

I didn't realize there had to be a requirement in terms of funding that you had to have 40% women on the board. Thats interesting clause.

It may not even come to it, but guess its on the off side both women dont dont appointed.

I didn't realize there had to be a requirement in terms of funding that you had to have 40% women on the board. Thats interesting clause.

That was one of the key reasons for the board originally appointing Bridie O’Donnell to meet that requirement. I believe it was one of the contributing reasons (amongst others) why David Hatley backed out of the EGM push when he discovered that detail.

Curiously, if only one woman gets elected, then with Jodie Sizer already on the board then that’ll take our female participation to 2 of 7. If they then expand our board to 8 members (like Carlton), and give that seat to a woman to make it 3 of 8, that still wouldn’t meet the 40% threshold. To make 40% threshold they’d have expand the board seats to 9 (like Richmond) and add 2 female members to make it 4 of 9.

Personally, I’d prefer we have an odd number board (7, 9) so that decisions can be made with a simple majority. With an even number board (8) then any 4:4 ties are resolved with the President having a casting vote which is a little less stable and would unnecessarily give the President more power. Especially if the President has filled half the board with his own people.

Either that or he’s politicking to ensure “we” pick his to candidates.
He’s certainly talking like he’s home and hosed re the Presidency which bugs me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back