• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 39
Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Noah Balta.
Some might say a tad early but I dare any of you to revisit this thread in 10yrs time.

Barunga Bullet your up.

Pick 40

Barunga Bullet

The GOAT
May 8, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Pick 40- Joel Bowden

265 games
171 goals
2 x Jack Dyer Medals
2 x All Australian

Joel Bowden played 265 games with the Richmond over 14 solid seasons between 1996 and 2009. After his debut in 1996, he carved a reputation as one of the Tigers' favourite sons. He was drafted at the end of 1995 under a father-son selection, and is the son of former Richmond 1969 premiership player Michael Bowden. Bowden played as a backman but could also be a play as a key forward.

In 2006, Bowden was among the leading possession getters in the AFL, and had the most possessions shared between any two players with his brother Patrick.

In Round 16, 2008, Bowden was at the centre of a major controversy regarding rushed behinds. With Richmond up by six points against Essendon with less than a minute left, Bowden proceeded to wipe the remaining time off the clock by rushing two behinds from the kick out - tactics which caused an uproar with many calling for the current rules to be changed. Football journalist Mike Sheahan even likened it to the infamous Trevor Chappell underarm delivery. He played his last game in 2009 against Collingwood, who thrashed the Tigers by 93 points.

Team
B: xx xx xx
HB: bowden Jess xx
C: Clay Stewart xx
HF: xx Richardson xx
F: xx xx xx
FOL: xx xx xx
IC: xx xx xx xx

richard parker

Attachments

• 1637699831056.png
    1637699831056.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
Pick 40- Joel Bowden

265 games
171 goals
2 x Jack Dyer Medals
2 x All Australian

Team
B: xx xx xx
HB: bowden Jess xx
C: Clay Stewart xx
HF: xx Richardson xx
F: xx xx xx
FOL: xx xx xx

richard parker
You going to get Patrick too so they can pass back and forward? 🤭

I was wondering who was going to pick Wiley , He was a bloody good player

Now Barry Rawlings awaits

Now I know why so many people say you are annoying;):p

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
36. Neil Balme

b9891332f2bb564405b6d9def540db42

1977_VFL-AFL_Scanlens_72_Neil_Balme_Richmond_Tigers.jpg

Neil Balme: 1970-1979, 159 games, 229 goals
His reputation as an enforcer (opposition supporters might say "thug") undermines his true worth as a player. A dual premiership ruckman/forward who kicked 229 goals including 55 in 1972.

37. Barry 'Bones' Richardson

f169d.Screen_Shot_2016-02-22_at_5.07.49_PM.png

MyyLpenJ.jpg

Barry Richardson: 1965-1974, 125 games, 134 goals
Three flags and it would have been four but for his knees. Starred at full-back (1969) and full-forward (1974) in premiership teams. He wasn't spectacular, but he was smart and highly efficient. Could play forward or back. More versatility for Wackys All-Stars

Wackys 22

FB:
??? - Barry Richardson - Dylan Grimes
HB:
??? - ??? - ???
C: ??? - Dustin Martin - ???
HF: ??? - ??? - ???
FF: ??? - ??? - Neil Balme
Foll:
Roy Wright - ??? - ???
Int: ??? - ??? - ??? - ???

richoatthedisco you're go again buddy
Pretty sure Bones would be the only bloke in history to keep Peter Hudson goalless AND kick 5 goals in a grand final (not the same game, calm down kids).

Oi Buch firstly I ******* love this spreadsheet

Secondly give my man Roy Wright some love in the Brownlow column. He's got 2 of them

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 41

richard parker

The Killer Bees
Feb 11, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Pick 41 - Jeff Hogg

5 time leading goal kicker at the club and captain in 1993. Kicked 307 goals in 144 appearances at the tiges.

He was a smart player for a big man and was also a good runner. A very nice kick too, just what you want in a full forward. He kicked over two goals a game in a team that invariably languished in the bottom reaches of the ladder.

Can only think how he would have gone in a winning team (winning percentage 28%). These were some very dark years for the club I remember them fairly well as I was in primary school collecting footy cards and coping it from all the hawks and bombers fans. What made it more frustrating is that we clearly had a number of outstanding players so the problems clearly stemmed from poor culture and leadership/administration in my opinion.

Last edited:

Rifles

All Australian
Apr 11, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Pick 41 - Jeff Hogg

5 time leading goal kicker at the club and captain in 1993. Kicked 307 goals in 144 appearances at the tiges.

He was a smart player for a big man and was also a good runner. A very nice kick too, just what you want in a full forward. He kicked over two goals a game in a team that invariably languished in the bottom reaches of the ladder.

Can only think how he would have gone in a winning team (winning percentage was 28% in his time at the club). These were some very dark years for the club I remember them fairly well as I was in primary school collecting footy cards and coping it from all the hawks and bombers fans. What made it more frustrating is that we clearly had a number of outstanding players so the problems clearly stemmed from poor culture and leadership in my opinion.
Love this pick. Hogg was a fantastic backman also. They were cruel days and he was always a shining light - mother's day massacre?! He also netted us Broderick, M Gale and Dundas when we were picking the Roy boys carcass.

Love this pick. Hogg was a fantastic backman also. They were cruel days and he was always a shining light - mother's day massacre?! He also netted us Broderick, M Gale and Dundas when we were picking the Roy boys carcass.

It was a good trade in many respects as Hogg had past his best based on games at the Lions, but I never quite understood trading your Captain. I get it if he wants to go, but as I understood it he didn't.

Had the opportunity to play on Hoggy in a Legends game - kept him to a lazy 5 goals!!! Must admit to a bit of star gazing at the time, especially his baulk right and turn to the boundry and goal on his left. What do you do but applaud! Nice pick Mr Parker!

Rifles

All Australian
Apr 11, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
It was good trade in many respects as Hogg had past his best based on games at the Lions, but I never quite understood trading your Captain. I get it he wants to go, but as I understood it he didn't.

Had the opportunity to play on Hoggy in a Legends game - kept him to a lazy 5 goals!!! Must admit to a bit of star gazing at the time, especially his baulk right and turn to the boundry and goal on his left. What do you do but applaud! Nice pick Mr Parker!
Amazing. I recall it was an unhappy trade too. They had ro drag Knighter out of the building too with his forced retirement. Both champs. Would love Knighter back at the club

Pick 42
PICK 42 - CHRIS NEWMAN
Mr reliable... Tigers captain from 2019 to 2012
b75169b780f9fa8b442c0471c1bf341d

PB74's team
B: xxxxxxxxx D.Gaspar N.Vlastuin
HB: C.Newman xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx
C: xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx
HF: xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx
F: xxxxxxxxx M.Roach xxxxxxxx
FOL: xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx D.Weightman

_RT_ you're up buddy

Pick 43
Pick 43 Mervyn Keane

Mervyn played mainly in the back-pocket or as a half-back although he did ruck-rove very successful in Richmond’s last Premiership win. He had the ability to nullify big-name opponents by persisting with close checking and spoiling tactics. He was a very reliable defender who was a strong mark, good kick and a fine team man. He played in an are where Richmond had many big names; however, he could always be relied upon for a consistent performance. He has great poise and it was very rare to see him beaten over four quarters, by an opponent. He nearly finished up playing for Melbourne after coming down from the country, when he joined a group of aspiring footballers he thought were young Richmond hopefuls on a training run. To his horror, he discovered they were Melbourne players when they returned to the MCG rather than Punt Road. This was one of the few times he lost his bearing whilst at Richmond.
He was slowly eased into senior football with seven of his eight games being as a reserve. He was a member of the 1973, 1974 and 1980 Senior and 1971 Reserves’ Premiership sides and the 1982 Grand Final team, and also represented Victoria on two occasions. He played in 15 Finals’ games for the club and was voted Richmond’s best player in the thrilling 1973 preliminary final victory. In 1982, he won the club’s Most Determined Trophy. A hard track worker Mervyn put in countless hours trying to improve all facets of his game. He was awarded Life Membership of the Richmond Football Club in 1981.

Seasons: 1972-84
Total Games: 238
Total Goals: 36

Honours: Premiership 1973-74, 1980, VFL Representative Team Games 2.

Phar Ace is up

Last edited:
Pick 44
Pick 44 - Fred Swift

Freddie Swift has a special place in the history of the Richmond Football Club as the captain of the drought-breaking 1967 premiership team. A bit like Cotchin does! Swift was recruited as a utility player from the Sandhurst Football Club in the Bendigo Football League. He played with their senior team from the time he was seventeen and, at 19, he was the youngest player ever to win the club's best and fairest award. He was finally cleared to the Tigers. He was destined.

Swift played his first senior game for Richmond against South Melbourne in the first round of the 1958 season on the half-forward flank. Richmond unexpectedly beat South Melbourne, and Swift kicked one goal. By mid-April 1958, still nineteen years old, Swift was regarded by Richmond as the "recruit of the year"

He was a highly talented footballer, with great anticipation, and highly polished ball skills, and he was equally at home in the forward line – he kicked 5 goals against Fitzroy in round 18, and, when moved from centre half-back to full-forward, in the last quarter against St Kilda in round 6, 1959, he kicked 3 goals, in a losing side – he could also play wing, centre, or in defence".
1637716773796.png

His 1967 VFL Grand Final game is worth a read

In his final game, the 1967 Grand Final against Geelong, he not only captained his team to a premiership, but he was one of the best on the ground, somewhat nullifying the impact of the temperamental Geelong hairdresser and champion full-forward, Doug Wade, who was nearly five inches (11 cm) taller and more than two stone heavier, and was widely expected to out-class Swift. Wade, the season's top goal-kicker, who had scored 79 goals during the home-and-away section of the season (including 6 goals against Swift, and Richmond, in round 18), and 8 and 5 goals in the semi-final and preliminary finals against Collingwood and Carlton respectively, was clearly outplayed in the Grand Final, and was held to just 4 goals by Swift.

Although Geelong was the first to score, Richmond was a goal in front by quarter time: 4.3 (27) to 3.3 (21). By half time, Richmond had increased its lead to 16 points: 9.10 (64) to 7.6 (48). Geelong fought back during the third quarter and, at one stage, led by 14 points; however, Richmond counter-attacked and the scores were level. And, then, two rushed behinds right at the end of the quarter, saw Richmond two points ahead at three-quarter time: 12.15 (87) to 13.7 (85).

In one of the most exciting last quarters ever, Richmond was in front, then scores were level, then Geelong was in front, then scores were level, then Richmond was in front, then scores were level; and then it was time on.

Richmond's John Ronaldson kicked a goal (his third for the match) to put Richmond six points ahead, and then a goal from Kevin Bartlett, backing out of the pack, increased Richmond's lead to twelve points. Geelong then ferociously surged back into the game when "Polly" Farmer (playing his last game for Geelong) handpassed the ball to Wayne Closter, who kicked the ball goal-wards towards Wade (Geelong's no.10) somewhere between centre-half forward and full-forward.

An almost exhausted Swift, with great anticipation, leapt high in front of Wade and palmed the ball away to his right from in front of the pack. He raced back towards the goal square, just in time to intercept a kick from Colin Eales and, to add insult to injury, ran across the face of goal, bounced the ball, with Wade in hot pursuit, and calmly passed the ball to John Perry.

Both Tony Polinelli and Bill Ryan kicked poorly, each scoring a behind, placing Geelong ten points behind; and then, with plenty of time for Geelong to get another goal, and breaking out of a pack, Goggin punt-kicked what seemed certain to be a goal (which would have reduced the lead to a dangerous four points).

The tenacious Swift – already greatly tired from having to captain his team, counteract the stronger, heavier, and taller Wade, and kicked the ball back into play after the eight behinds that Geelong had scored up to that moment in the last quarter), single-mindedly concentrating on his task, took one of the finest marks of his career at the Punt Road end of the M.C.G.

With the strong September afternoon sun shining directly into his eyes, without any opposition (with the goal umpire crouching in a perfect position to determine its legality), he first caught the ball perhaps ten feet above the ground (3m), right on the goal line, to turn Geelong away, and retain Richmond's lead of ten points. He played on, and his clearing drop-kick almost hit the centre. Moments later, Polinelli surged up the ground kicked Geelong's ninth behind for the quarter; and, as Polinelli's kick went through, the siren sounded, with Richmond finally winning by nine points 16.18 (114) to 15.15 (105).[42]
"It's the biggest thrill in my life. It really makes it worth while playing football after today's win. It was close, and at times I thought we might not win. But every player pulled his weight and I have never felt so happy. I'll never forget the thrill of running around the ground holding the premiership cup. It's a thing you dream about – but today it came true." said Swift
He Captained the Club, Premiership Player and twice represented Victoria.

B: xx F.Swift xx
HB: xx xx xx
C: xx M Rioli Snr xx
HF: xx xx xx
F: xx J.Titus xx
FOL: M.Green xx R.Dean

Your go tiger_tough

Last edited:
I'm not am old bastard like you blokes so I'm relying on reputation and accolades a bit.

My efforts to tag don't seem to work so I'll use a reply instead - you are up mate!

Back