Opinion Non-Crows AFL 4: The Centre Cannot Hold

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You reckon Modra and Ablett had the discipline and work ethic to make it in today's game?
They grew up in a different generation so its hard to say one way or the other if they were born in the 21st Century how they would have turned out.

Port getting Dumont is like us getting Sam Gibson in 2018

IIRC Mods had a soccer background too? Kicked a lot of goals, "soccer style".
I believe so, but also just seems to be one of those naturals who is good at most sports.

Had a highlights reel of soccer goals to go with his freakish marks. So many memories....

I believe so, but also just seems to be one of those naturals who is good at most sports.

Had a highlights reel of soccer goals to go with his freakish marks. So many memories....
Dont let the first few seconds of Mackay in the video ruin your memory. :$

Nice soccer goal by Mods, inside the 6 yard box.:think:

Anyone who thinks Ablett etc wouldn’t make it in today’s game is insane

Dunstall in particular was the first all round FF, who gave off, brought others in the game, tracked back etc

Lockett won a Brownlow switching in ruck
Locket also played in an era where 191cm was considered huge. Most defenders and fullbacks would have been under that height and certainly that size. These days the standard tall defender is 191cm plus. And they are not thin either. I'm not questioning his footballing ability.His athleticism would be the only thing potebtially holding him back. His size and strength that gave him the edge would work against him in modern footy.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Locket also played in an era where 191cm was considered huge. Most defenders and fullbacks would have been under that height and certainly that size. These days the standard tall defender is 191cm plus. And they are not thin either. I'm not questioning his footballing ability.His athleticism would be the only thing potebtially holding him back. His size and strength that gave him the edge would work against him in modern footy.

One one of the best kicks for goal in the game... probably more ao now, given goal kicking has not unproved.

Fog has a lot of similarity to a modern day Locket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One one of the best kicks for goal in the game... probably more ao now, given goal kicking has not unproved.
I remember him being interviewed once about his goal kicking.

His "secret" was to pick someone behind the goals and kick the ball in that direction. Sounds logical and rather simple.

There are a lot of great kicks at goal playing SANFL and ammos now.

Not saying Lockett wouldn't play AFL. But if he did, he would be a different type of player.

Same with Dunstall

The modern equivalent is probably Bailey Fritsch. Similar height, although Fritsch a bit shorter. But leaner.
Another (poor man's version) is Rohan. Again leaner.

These guys are not the strong man in the forward line Lockett/Dunstall were. But the third tall.

Lockett's playing weight in 2021 would be close to his actual weight now, and not what he played at.

Ablett would be a lock in the modern game. One of the few in this discussion to play a role other than pure FF. He would be a Brownlow winning mid. Like his son.

Mods would be a very good mid size forward. A massive upgrade on McAdam. Would slot straight into that role. Obviously fitter than 1990s Modra, but same skillset and similar method of play.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Probably still holds the Loxton High School javelin record.

Port getting Dumont is like us getting Sam Gibson in 2018
Isn't Dumont about 4 years younger than Gibson was?

And, arguably a fair bit better?

Goal kicking has got worse. Forwards no longer spend entire sessions having set shots for goal. It shows. This is one aspect of the game that has clearly gotten worse. Jay Shulz at Port was probably the last genuine forward I saw kick through the ball in the manner of the old school.

Isn't Dumont about 4 years younger than Gibson was?

And, arguably a fair bit better?
It's more about the principle of failing to win a premiership then thinking mediocre players delisted from terrible sides are the solution

Goal kicking has got worse. Forwards no longer spend entire sessions having set shots for goal. It shows. This is one aspect of the game that has clearly gotten worse. Jay Shulz at Port was probably the last genuine forward I saw kick through the ball in the manner of the old school.

Darcy Fogarty was right there as an obvious example

Dermott describes Tex as the best kick of the football he has ever seen.
If you watch any game dermott commentates there is always a player who is the best ever at something. It's a standard line he delivers. Do you really think he will say Tex was better than Dunstall as a kick. Not saying Tex isn't great but he isn't the best ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back