Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
As REH battered into me it's 3 flags in 5 years including the SANFL & AFLW.. still won't happen & is even more cringe.

Why not just say we want to win an AFL and SANFL flag every year. Because that’s the mission. If a flag is not being hung up at the end of the season, it’s a fail.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
As REH battered into me it's 3 flags in 5 years including the SANFL & AFLW.. still won't happen & is even more cringe.
Chasing Greatness = 3 AFL flags in 5 years
Chasing Mediocrity = 3 flags in any comp, including reserves, in 5 years

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I'm pretty sure I picked that up and REH initially disagreed
When I first listened to Richo's presentation I thought he meant AFL flags as he was talking about Richmond, Hawthorn and Geelong's run of AFL flags as being "greatness". But after people started posting that it was at any level I listened again and despite saying 40 flags is the number he is after, 36 SNAFL plus 4 AFL, he does go on to qualify it as 3 flags at any level.

So in the club's view we can achieve greatness as an AFL club without winning another AFL flag. Talk about setting a very low bar. No wonder those in charge at the club love Hinkley.

When I first listened to Richo's presentation I thought he meant AFL flags as he was talking about Richmond, Hawthorn and Geelong's run of AFL flags as being "greatness". But after people started posting that it was at any level I listened again and despite saying 40 flags is the number he is after, 36 SNAFL plus 4 AFL, he does go on to qualify it as 3 flags at any level.

So in the club's view we can achieve greatness as an AFL club without winning another AFL flag. Talk about setting a very low bar. No wonder those in charge at the club love Hinkley.

It's bullshit.

The worst thing is, even with that qualification, we'll fall short.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I really don't give a sh*t about reserves flags tbh.

I don't give a s**t either, but part of me feels that like Ollie's Brownlow win, the club just needs a spark right now. Even if its an individual award or a state comp, we just need a taste of success for some of these kids to build on.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Oh boy I can't wait to see them crack down on time wasting tactics!

I'm sure this will make the game more free flowing and won't at all be something that comes in strongly in the opening 4 rounds with many contentious and inconsistent 50 metre penalties, followed by being totally ignored up until round 18 when it magically re-appears in a Port game costing us in a big moment.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Oh boy I can't wait to see them crack down on time wasting tactics!

I'm sure this will make the game more free flowing and won't at all be something that comes in strongly in the opening 4 rounds with many contentious and inconsistent 50 metre penalties, followed by being totally ignored up until round 18 when it magically re-appears in a Port game costing us in a big moment.
It's a brave move by the AFL not to introduce any rule changes for 2022 but just to "tweek" the interpretations of the rules from week to week, game to game instead. :rolleyes:

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I really don't give a sh*t about reserves flags tbh.
So much this. 99% of Port supporters, given a choice between 1 AFL flag in the next 10 years, 0 AFLW and 0 SANFL or 0 AFL flags, 10 AFLW flags and 10 SANFL flags are picking the AFL flag every day of the week. I know I would.

I know I don't give a s**t Adelaide's won some AFLW flags. They could win the SANFL flag as well and I wouldn't care, as long as they are s**t at AFL level. Yeah, it'll be good when we get an AFLW team, but if we're AFL premiers I'm not caring if they finish dead last every year.

Generally, when you have a strong AFL team that is capable of winning flags, your reserves are naturally going to be pushing to win flags as well.

I don't see anything wrong with Richardson wanting to push for 3 flags in 5 years. It's not like we're miles off the pace. Two top two finishes in the past two years, two home prelim finals, with a list that has room for growth. Yeah, we bottled it both times, but so did Brisbane and no one gives them s**t about it.

If the thing that is holding us back is the coach like everyone on this board believes, go and get Clarkson at the end of 2022 and do a threepeat.

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Generally, when you have a strong AFL team that is capable of winning flags, your reserves are naturally going to be pushing to win flags as well.

I don't see anything wrong with Richardson wanting to push for 3 flags in 5 years. It's not like we're miles off the pace. Two top two finishes in the past two years, two home prelim finals, with a list that has room for growth. Yeah, we bottled it both times, but so did Brisbane and no one gives them sh*t about it.

If the thing that is holding us back is the coach like everyone on this board believes, go and get Clarkson at the end of 2022 and do a threepeat.
The SANFL side is rarely gonna win flags by nature from blooding kids in certain positions with patience to playing older guys in roles they'll take if called up & not necessarily putting them where they would rack numbers at that level. Sure if you are thereabouts when finals roll around have a crack but that's about it.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
AFLW is simply a community goodwill/money grabbing, hearts and minds alternative for Girls. As long as we are competitive, give our female supporters some representation and even some inspiration, it will serve its purpose.
The SANFL is meaning less and less every year. The only real connection is the Prison Bar guernsey. It serves as a reserves comp, the romanticism is almost completely gone. Having half the team full of A2 B graders doesn't help.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back