Opinion Collingwood Board Nominee Sean Callanan talkback.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for highlighting. I don't have any issue with what Mark proposed.

In keeping with best governance practice, we intend to set a limit on the tenure of a director to three terms, or 9 years, and limit the maximum tenure for a president to two terms, or six years.

Most of the discussion I've had has been around voting rights and finding a way for AFL Members and MCC Members to be welcomed into the club after changes to social club memberships.
G'day Sean.

I think 9 years for President is a good term length, imo 6 years is too short given most rebuilds and coaches are only starting to make head way into finals at this point.
Why destabilise the club as such a critical juncture?

Unless there is re-election at the 6 year mark but then is that different from what Ed did?

Absolutely would love to bring the shimmy back in a GF win.

Might need to get Dids back to the club to help the players to learn shimmy technique.

Bring him back as a kicking coach would be nice.

Hopefully Brown is true to his word and tackles the AFLs FD soft cap tax head on and steam rolls it.
We once had the best and largest recruiting network and I read recently, else where, we are now bare bones club in this area can you confirm? And if so surely this needs to be addressed.

I think 9 years for President is a good term length, imo 6 years is too short given most rebuilds and coaches are only starting to make head way into finals at this point.
Why destabilise the club as such a critical juncture?

I'm not locked on a particular solution, but I am on the discussion to get the best outcome for the club.

Once the decision is made the board (and President can work on developing board talent to be the next board candidates to be voted in by the members).
It should stabilize the club in my opinion. Elections ensure the board is accountable to members.

Hopefully Brown is true to his word and tackles the AFLs FD soft cap tax head on and steam rolls it.
We once had the best and largest recruiting network and I read recently, else where, we are now bare bones club in this area can you confirm? And if so surely this needs to be addressed.

I think the soft tax is here to stay. I'd tackle the problem by focussing on being so successful we just pay the tax and it does not concern us.

AFL is heading down the path of the NFL where draft info and knowledge is centralised which is why many clubs are cutting back on recruiting networks from what I have heard.

Being good at something isn't how I'd pick a teacher. The best maths teachers aren't the best mathematicians. I think he was just a pure natural. Might not be able to break down what he did which made him so good - he just did it.

Being good at something isn't how I'd pick a teacher. The best maths teachers aren't the best mathematicians. I think he was just a pure natural. Might not be able to break down what he did which made him so good - he just did it.

Yeah then again he might be able lol doubt anyones asked him to try.
Just because you are good at something doesn't mean you are a crap teacher either.

I think the soft tax is here to stay. I'd tackle the problem by focussing on being so successful we just pay the tax and it does not concern us.

AFL is heading down the path of the NFL where draft info and knowledge is centralised which is why many clubs are cutting back on recruiting networks from what I have heard.

Firstly thank you for taking the time to respond we all appreciate it.

Yeah that is interesting re nfl hopefully we still look to assess via our own IP as well.

Cheers.

Speaking of game day experience, I'm not sure how much control a team has vs the MCG / Marvel but kiss cam, blaring music before the game / at breaks and music after goals are scored I find particularly annoying.

Clearly I'm not the target market but imo that's the antithesis of a good game day experience. I liked the blast from the pasts and that sort of thing but I just don't get all that super loud music where you can't hear the person next to you. I might be in the minority there but I'd think there's scope for improvement there.

OK trying to get this thread back on topic...

The last 2 years as sh*t as they were have been transformational for many businesses including sports clubs like the Pies. Sport has always been focussed on the stadium experience, "getting the cheeks on the seats" as I like today. Collingwood is no different with a strong focus on membership and getting people to the game. If there was an award for promoting Digital Transformation then COVID would win as we found out fans were still engaged despite not being able to attend (just like interstate & regional members).

We all know there are more Collingwood fans than can fit into the MCG so we need to take the lessons from the last 2 years and continue to develop ways to engage members who will not or can't attend (for whatever reason - cost, location, health, lifestyle, family).

That is where digital can fill that gap, getting the balance right will be key but taking an approach that brings all members to the G or our virtual G is a HUGE upside for the club in my opinion.
I would love to see something like a partnership with someone like Kayo and the VFL, .
Dedicate a small amount (relatively) of bandwidth to a Magpie Members channel.

I am an interstate member (Canberra) and have not attended a game since 2018, though happy to pay to support the club.

What I miss is the ability to watch the VFL games I hear others mentioning.

Surely with streaming there is the ability to have a Collingwood Channel.

Not a half baked thing either.
I mean a professional, commercial concern.

OK trying to get this thread back on topic...

The last 2 years as sh*t as they were have been transformational for many businesses including sports clubs like the Pies. Sport has always been focussed on the stadium experience, "getting the cheeks on the seats" as I like today. Collingwood is no different with a strong focus on membership and getting people to the game. If there was an award for promoting Digital Transformation then COVID would win as we found out fans were still engaged despite not being able to attend (just like interstate & regional members).

We all know there are more Collingwood fans than can fit into the MCG so we need to take the lessons from the last 2 years and continue to develop ways to engage members who will not or can't attend (for whatever reason - cost, location, health, lifestyle, family).

That is where digital can fill that gap, getting the balance right will be key but taking an approach that brings all members to the G or our virtual G is a HUGE upside for the club in my opinion.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I think digital media definitely has a big role to play in improving fan engagement and reaching our supporter base outside metropolitan Melbourne. I don't have strong ideas about what that looks like but i'm sure there are plenty of smart folk that do.

I believe you touched on it earlier, but I think having membership options that cater for members needs is also important. Flexibility, access to reliable streaming services + leveraging corporate partnerships for discounts on travel, accomodation and experiences would be what I value. An upgrade option to give voting rights wouldn't hurt. I think that would help engagement also.

Vote reminder emails went out this morning, I know there was a LOT of votes when voting opened on Friday.

Search for this email if you haven't got one and think you should (there have been a few).
Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 8.07.06 am.png

I know I have discussed expanding the voting rights but that can't happen until AFTER this election.

If you have renewed or are looking to renew a GA 11 or 18 membership for 2022, you have the option to include the Social Club Add-On to get the option to vote.

I have spoken to some members who either didn't check the add-on or didn't know what it was for or they changed their membership during COVID over the past 2 years.

If you feel strongly about the board and want to vote you can ensure you have a Social Club Add-On with more than 11 game membership and you'll get the chance to vote.

I think it is a selling point for renewal for the club in 2022 even with the discussion around changing voting rights.

If this helps you get a say, I'd appreciate being included in your ballot.

If you're still undecided, please ask me a question that is important to you.

Vote reminder emails went out this morning, I know there was a LOT of votes when voting opened on Friday.

A few questions about the election …

It’s my understanding that three of the four seats up for grabs are three year seats, and one of them is a one year seat (the one currently held by Wilson, his seat is up at this election due to the whole Article 25(b) / 50(c) thing). Is this correct? In the event that Wilson is not re-elected, have you been told how they’ll determine which if the four successful candidates gets that 1 year seat?

Given that you’re an advocate for the members having a voice and there being elections going forward, how would that work given that to ensure board continuity the present seat vacation is staggered 2, 2, 3 each year? (this year is the ‘3’ year + Wilson’s seat). Is it your intention that we would do an election like this one every year? (And therefore whoever gets Wilson’s seat in this election will have to go up for election again next year). If not, how would it work?

SeanC

This is more feedback than a question, and thought I‘d raise it with you because you’ve said along the journey that you have kids …

One of the questions that pops up from time-to-time on here comes from new parents, or parents with young kids who are yearning to get out and watch a game of footy, or to just get out of the house. Going to a game at Vic Park to watch the VFL or AFLW appeals to them because the crowds are much smaller, the kids have got more freedom to run around - including running around the ground at the breaks, and it’s easy to leave early if needed. One question that nobody ever seems to know the answer to is are there baby change facilities at Vic Park?

Plus is there more that can be done to improve the game day experience for families? (eg: families with CFC membership allocated seats by grouping together families with kids around the same age, etc)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's changing all the time. Primarily providing more content on gameday and outside game day for members to feel part of the club. That could be for consumption anytime like the episode of Grind coming out tonight or alternate methods of watching a game with other members not at the game. The NBA now has a Watch Party option on League Pass and I'm sure plenty of people ran a Zoom or Facetime while watching a game in lockdown. NFL has ManningCast on Monday night football where they are chatting while watching the game, imagine watching the game with some AFL or AFLW or past players chatting about the game as an alternate broadcast. Now I am jumping into areas that require massaging of TV rights but that is where sports consumption is headed.

It could be as simple as an online meeting place post-match where are a player or coach joins after the game. The technology to do this is getting cheaper so it comes down to resources and priortities.

Re: Online chatting during a game. That can be a very challenging thing. We have a matchday thread here on BigFooty and it’s a cesspool. Even the regulars in there would admit that. If the club ran something like that for club members, and they are held accountable for what they say and can lose their CFC membership (just as what happens at the ground) then it might provide more of a palatable environment. It can be a lot of hard work though to moderate that stuff. And people online can voice their passion without thinking too much about the consequences. At least at the game they have the presence of a crowd around them to remind them.

Re: “imagine watching the game with some AFL or AFLW or past players chatting about the game as an alternate broadcast.” … great idea. I always wondered why “Press Red for Ed” never took off? Maybe he didn’t want to do it?

Have you seen much in the way of Augmented Reality being used to add to the fans’ real-time game day experience? For example, have Quicky and our supporters up in Cairns watching the game in a pub, and then having a live stream of them at the bar AR’ed onto the rooftop of the MCC members. Now that’s one way of meeting your goal of filling the MCG! 😀. Wouldn’t even need to be constrained by ground capacity!

Foxtel did dabble in simple static AR for Covid MCG games by superimposing team logos in the stands. Pity they couldn’t AR onto the stands a live feed of us fans around the country watching the game and cheering live … probably would have led to rioting on the streets of Melbourne by some people thinking that what they were watching on the TV was real.

It’s my understanding that three of the four seats up for grabs are three year seats, and one of them is a one year seat (the one currently held by Wilson, his seat is up at this election due to the whole Article 25(b) / 50(c) thing). Is this correct? In the event that Wilson is not re-elected, have you been told how they’ll determine which if the four successful candidates gets that 1 year seat?

Given that you’re an advocate for the members having a voice and there being elections going forward, how would that work given that to ensure board continuity the present seat vacation is staggered 2, 2, 3 each year? (this year is the ‘3’ year + Wilson’s seat). Is it your intention that we would do an election like this one every year? (And therefore whoever gets Wilson’s seat in this election will have to go up for election again next year). If not, how would it work?

Good question above my pay grade right now. I will follow up to confirm on 3-year seats, I assumed all 4 spots were 3-year seats.

My read of the Articles is if the board member is appointed by way of election under Article 24, that board member is elected for a three year term. The casual vacancy provisions only apply if the board appointed the director under a casual vacancy. Here, the membership is appointing the board member by way of a vote.

Guess this is effectively a re-set of the timing so we now have a 1, 2, 4 board member rotation.

That's changing all the time. Primarily providing more content on gameday and outside game day for members to feel part of the club. That could be for consumption anytime like the episode of Grind coming out tonight or alternate methods of watching a game with other members not at the game. The NBA now has a Watch Party option on League Pass and I'm sure plenty of people ran a Zoom or Facetime while watching a game in lockdown. NFL has ManningCast on Monday night football where they are chatting while watching the game, imagine watching the game with some AFL or AFLW or past players chatting about the game as an alternate broadcast. Now I am jumping into areas that require massaging of TV rights but that is where sports consumption is headed.

It could be as simple as an online meeting place post-match where are a player or coach joins after the game. The technology to do this is getting cheaper so it comes down to resources and priortities.

Sean. I'd definitely vote for you ahead of a stockbroker or someone who runs a financial institution.....I think you could do some good work. Good luck.

Yes, I should have included Interstate and Country members, they should not be excluded due to their location.

If you have a concern about the financial commitment it can be solved by tenure, if you have proven your loyalty in years you should get a vote.

Or you could implement a far simpler model, every member gets a vote, but only after consulting all members.

I'll know more when I understand the breakdown of the membership base.

A thanks to 76woodenspooners for that question.

SeanC

I have been a member residing in Perth for a few years up until this year. No longer..............

In part due to covid and the difficulty of getting in and out of WA and in part a bit of disillusionment of the club with the trading in 2020 and numerous head scratching decisions over the last decade. I won't go into detail of all that as I'm sure you're aware of them.

My point is, I want to be involved with the club (and have actually taken a non game membership in 2020) and I've previously looked at the interstate member packages. There's not really a lot of incentive for us in WA, I'm sure you're aware there are quite a few Pie faithful over here in WA, I'm not expecting the world - if anything maybe just a little more acknowledgement for far away members.

So my question is (and apologies if this has been brought up and answered), has there been or will there be more discussion of engagement / involvement for us far away members / supporters?

And what has been the discussion around avoiding any future 'what were they thinking?' decisions by previous admin?

So my question is (and apologies if this has been brought up and answered), has there been or will there be more discussion of engagement / involvement for us far away members / supporters?

I've spoken to quite a few interstate members who feel the same. It can't be solved with a few tweaks to membership products or a new scarf but there is a big opportunity to be a truly national team by embracing our fans across Australia.

Yes, our fans travel, but we have strong representation in all major cities so I'd be looking to drive engagement first and welcome fans like yourself back to the club especially around our few games interstate but also ensuring you do feel part of the club despite the distance.

It will be tough as I'm sure the focus will be getting Vic members back to the MCG in 2022 but a long term view of developing members who cannot attend games in Melbourne is very important and definitely an area for growth.

I've spoken to quite a few interstate members who feel the same. It can't be solved with a few tweaks to membership products or a new scarf but there is a big opportunity to be a truly national team by embracing our fans across Australia.

Yes, our fans travel, but we have strong representation in all major cities so I'd be looking to drive engagement first and welcome fans like yourself back to the club especially around our few games interstate but also ensuring you do feel part of the club despite the distance.

It will be tough as I'm sure the focus will be getting Vic members back to the MCG in 2022 but a long term view of developing members who cannot attend games in Melbourne is very important and definitely an area for growth.

Thanks Sean,

Apologies I didn't previously ask, as for game members like us in WA - would there be a view to games at Optus to be part of that package?

I'm not sure that'd work with the two clubs here and the WAFC / AFL, however is there a view to drive that as an incentive to gain and retain interstate members?

Thanks Sean,

Apologies I didn't previously ask, as for game members like us in WA - would there be a view to games at Optus to be part of that package?

I'm not sure that'd work with the two clubs here and the WAFC / AFL, however is there a view to drive that as an incentive to gain and retain interstate members?

The current Interstate Flexi membership does offer a reserved seat at Optus, so I'd expect any interstate membership would give you ticketing access to games in your home state.

Thanks mark, they're a great organization and do a lot for our club here.

I think the pies operate thru these guys so you might have a chance of getting a ticket to a game if rub shoulders with them.

They used to have a half hour on sports radio on sunday morning. I'm not sure if that still exists. The woman who ran the thing is named Jackie and together with her boys, they were ......

You should volunteer

SeanC

I wonder if the club could improve its (1) membership engagement and (2) competitive advantage by tapping into its membership as a resource?

You and some of the other candidates have obviously identified this, you have day jobs that give you skills that are potentially of benefit to the club, and serving on the board is one way of putting your specialist skills to use.

But I wonder if there are also other ways?

Some examples …

Consider the CFC members who are secondary school teachers. They are at the front lines of understanding the world of 11 to 18 year old kids. They see how they are communicating on social media, their pop culture, where their influences are coming from, and what the latest effective teaching techniques are (pedagogy). Every year CFC probably recruit somewhere between 1 and 2 dozen of these kids across the whole club. Imagine if CFC ran an annual conference for a day or so with CFC member secondary school teachers and other teaching professionals to prepare the club for receiving the new cohort. Maybe it’s presentation format? Maybe it’s round-table format?

Consider your own background in the digital technology space. You’ve probably come across fellow CFC member conno (Con Frantzeskos) who is in the digital marketing space. The mods and admins on sites like this one have a good perspective across social media engagement. There are no doubt many other resources across the membership that can be drawn upon to provide input into the club in this area. UX, UI folks, media folks, etc, etc. Obviously I’m not talking about them necessarily doing work, just sharing ideas and professional perspectives, share the latest tools, tips, trends and techniques, etc, etc. Sometimes it only takes a seed of an idea to create something valuable. This could be in some appropriate format such as conferences, or round tables, or sub-committees, or advisory boards, or mentoring programs, etc, etc.

Years ago I used to pay the club a sack of cash to attend the CFC leadership forums. It was interesting to hear from club leaders like Nathan Buckley, Gary Pert, and Nick Maxwell. But the lunchtime chat with my fellow business and industry leaders was just as interesting. And as far as the information flow that day, it was only going in one direction: from the club to the participants. I thought at the time that it was a bit of a shame - whilst the club did get our money, they might have missed out on getting something far more valuable.

There might be other areas where the members have professional skills that might be of great assistance to the club. I’d imagine that’s how Peter Murphy and his 2017 review started out.

Obviously there are risks with these things but those risks can be managed. Pre 2016ish it felt like the club had a moat around it filled with crocodiles and the drawbridge up. Then around 2016ish CFC let down the drawbridge annually for the post season members’ forum. Things improved again in 2021, although it’s too early to tell whether it was about listening to the members, or making the members feel like they’re being listened to. Regardless, I think there is enormous potential to tap into the resources of the membership beyond simply accepting our dues. How to mine that effectively is the challenge, but in the competitive industry of AFL then surely it’s about the club mining every advantage it can get?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back