Golf Golf technique

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a lesson today...worked on clearing the hips more before and through impact. Things had gotten a bit "armsy" and not driven by the body enough.

1636522238586.png

My hips were almost down the target line at impact. Not like this. :'(

Having said this....coaches are great at pumping your tyres up! :laughing:

Doing a drill where I almost start my backswing from this position....and try to get to that position at impact. Half swings with lofted irons.

Doing a drill where I almost start my backswing from this position....and try to get to that position at impact. Half swings with lofted irons.
I've got the same issue Scrappy and keep coming back to that drill with a lot of success :thumbsu:. Tend to use an 8I in the net for this.

Went down to the range today, feel like I'm right on the edge of a breakthrough with the driver. I'm now hitting 30-40% shots that would make the fairway. That's huge for me as previously it would be like 10% and the rest were huge slices or hooks that would have been next fairway or lost. I'm starting to get better at squaring the clubface at impact, and also hitting up on the ball which is keeping it longer, higher and straighter.

Lets discuss pre round routine. Driving to the club or course do you listen to music? Podcasts? I find when music listening a song will get stuck in head all round and thats dangerous if it doesnt have the. right tempo
Rushing stresses me. So I work backwards from my tee time. If I'm playing at 830 I want to be there by 8 to hit some balls so I need to leave home by 740 so I get up at 7. If I'm playing comp I'll putt on my mat the night before for 30 mins, just knocking in those 7 footers.

Rushing stresses me. So I work backwards from my tee time. If I'm playing at 830 I want to be there by 8 to hit some balls so I need to leave home by 740 so I get up at 7. If I'm playing comp I'll putt on my mat the night before for 30 mins, just knocking in those 7 footers.
like it!

generally like to arrive an hour before, and work back accordingly. early tee times at National require alarm times usually reserved for sillies.

Lets discuss pre round routine. Driving to the club or course do you listen to music? Podcasts? I find when music listening a song will get stuck in head all round and thats dangerous if it doesnt have the. right tempo
No music ever

RSN or SEN

Nothing better than playing a round where there is a range. I would arrive about 40 minutes early. Hit a quick 30...mostly using my low irons...a few middle irons and ten or so with driver. A 10 or 15 minute putt...and a quick chip if you could is perfect warm up for me. Cannot fathom arriving a couple of minutes before tee off....just wouldn't work for me. Even worse is drinking a few beers going around. I would legit miss the ball. :laughing:

Nothing better than playing a round where there is a range. I would arrive about 40 minutes early. Hit a quick 30...mostly using my low irons...a few middle irons and ten or so with driver. A 10 or 15 minute putt...and a quick chip if you could is perfect warm up for me. Cannot fathom arriving a couple of minutes before tee off....just wouldn't work for me. Even worse is drinking a few beers going around. I would legit miss the ball. :laughing:
I still play most of my comp golf at my old home course which is about a 90 minute drive and has no practice areas at all haha so when I play there I arrive 40 minutes early and sink cans til i tee off.

I'm also a member at a course around the corner from where i live now so I play 9 holes there quite frequently and always try hit balls into the net before teeing off. Makes a huge difference especially after recovering from a shoulder injury.

If i play at a foreign course I'll probably hit a handful of putts on practice green just to get an idea of speed and that's about it.

like it!

generally like to arrive an hour before, and work back accordingly. early tee times at National require alarm times usually reserved for sillies.
I used to tee off at about 7am. Normal routine in summer was an 5:45am arrival followed by
20mins of range
20mins of chipping
20mins of putting

With family, back problems and work now I’m falling out of the car onto the 1st tee. Good golf doesn’t happen without a solid foundation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Driver continues to be the kryptonite.
Have had lessons, range sessions, advice from playing partners, nothing has worked in 2 and a half years of golf I still either slice it, hook it or top it.

Very close to not bringing it on course anymore until I can consistently hit it at the range. Tossing a coin whether I am fetching the ball from left or right rough is not fun golf.

That can work but not always realistic. A lot of the local publics are pretty tight and the rough is not well maintained. It's not like a Woodlands or Portsea open space.
I've had similar issues over the years with driver but i've found 2 things that work for me and now i'm hitting 7/10 fairways and the ones i miss i generally know what i've done wrong.
First is i had a lesson and the pro changed my grip, which took a while to get used to but its made a huge difference.
The 2nd i've come up with on my own, but i've slowed my backswing down considerably, and not only am i more consistent, but hitting the ball further than i ever have (53yrs old).
I've noticed watching the pro's on tv that Morikawa has a really slow takeaway, whereas a John Rahm is very quick.
I just feel more can go wrong with a quick takeaway, so i'm def in the Morikawa camp.
Just my 2c worth.

I've had similar issues over the years with driver but i've found 2 things that work for me and now i'm hitting 7/10 fairways and the ones i miss i generally know what i've done wrong.
First is i had a lesson and the pro changed my grip, which took a while to get used to but its made a huge difference.
The 2nd i've come up with on my own, but i've slowed my backswing down considerably, and not only am i more consistent, but hitting the ball further than i ever have (53yrs old).
I've noticed watching the pro's on tv that Morikawa has a really slow takeaway, whereas a John Rahm is very quick.
I just feel more can go wrong with a quick takeaway, so i'm def in the Morikawa camp.
Just my 2c worth.
I'll try the stronger grip, worried that might be a bit of a bandaid though for a very flawed swing, but will see how it goes on the range after new year.

There's a hell of a lot of things to do and think about to get a golf swing right. I have a sneaking suspicion my grip is holding me back from going next level. I think I would be in the group of 80%/90% that get it too much in the palm of their lead hand and not fingers....looking at the wear marks on my glove. Problem is...I am short and have fat, short sausages for fingers and if I am concentrating on other stuff I suspect over time it will sneak to that comfortable position more in the palms. Need to work the gripping of the club into pre shot routine so I do not ignore this vital piece and get the wear and tear marks located better. Probably thinner grips will help too.

There's a hell of a lot of things to do and think about to get a golf swing right. I have a sneaking suspicion my grip is holding me back from going next level. I think I would be in the group of 80%/90% that get it too much in the palm of their lead hand and not fingers....looking at the wear marks on my glove. Problem is...I am short and have fat, short sausages for fingers and if I am concentrating on other stuff I suspect over time it will sneak to that comfortable position more in the palms. Need to work the gripping of the club into pre shot routine so I do not ignore this vital piece and get the wear and tear marks located better. Probably thinner grips will help too.
Ben Hogan grip. Should be able to see 2 knuckles on the right hand and one of the left(for right handers).

My swing concentrating on shallowing out as I move into transition. Cat lucky the net was there if I shanked it.

Not exactly like at impact in the picture at the top of this page haha.
I'm assuming you hit fades or straight balls?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back