Pies/GWS pick trade

Remove this Banner Ad

The issues go back further than this trade with the Mayne/Mundy thing and selling the farm at the last second for Beams.

Clearly inadequate controls/governance over their list management.

The issues go back further than this trade with the Mayne/Mundy thing and selling the farm at the last second for Beams.

Clearly inadequate controls/governance over their list management.
I think all this will factor in Collingwood getting a new coach. There isn't much scope to change the list as he will see fit.

With Carlton likely to be looking for a new coach, they would be a better prospect for the new coach to make the changes he wants.

The Collingwood coaching role is looking like a poisoned chalice at the moment.

Pick 21 is effectively for Reef McInness and we needed to match the bid. That is probably his value.
Pick 2 is for McMahon and Poulter.
plus we get Nick Daicos the best player in the draft and likely Youseph Dib who would be a 2nd round talent.

In hindsight I think we would have obviously got more for pick 2. We could have even done a deal for pick 1 so not to use the Daicos points.

Poulter could be a chance to play 200 games. McMahon has interesting traits could end up being a good AFL player or not make it at all.

I dont think it is as bad as it looks but we could have done better from the deal.

The thing that screwed us was the Treloar, Stephenson, Phillips trades.
Beams did some really good finger paintings that were worth 2 1st rounders

Real jealous of GWS… such a sweet deal. We could have traded for Pies first instead of Geelongs first.. we had a better pick to give
You tried, I believe. GWS had a better deal than what Richmond were offering (pick 20)

Richmond's list boss Blair Hartley was among those who'd called for Collingwood's future first-round pick, which the Pies decided to trade "into" this draft, for the right deal, in the belief that their 2021 "first" choice will be consumed on a first-round bid for Daicos. But they will need to source enough draft points – in the second and third rounds – to pay for the father-son and keep some hand in that draft.

Hartley, who offered the Tigers' first choice, now pick 20, spoke with Guy. "I don't think we're going to get into that space with the future first," Guy told Hartley. Many of the former's conversations are like dialogue from The West Wing – rapid.

Pick 21 is effectively for Reef McInness and we needed to match the bid. That is probably his value.
Pick 2 is for McMahon and Poulter.
plus we get Nick Daicos the best player in the draft and likely Youseph Dib who would be a 2nd round talent.

In hindsight I think we would have obviously got more for pick 2. We could have even done a deal for pick 1 so not to use the Daicos points.

Poulter could be a chance to play 200 games. McMahon has interesting traits could end up being a good AFL player or not make it at all.

I dont think it is as bad as it looks but we could have done better from the deal.

The thing that screwed us was the Treloar, Stephenson, Phillips trades.
Beams did some really good finger paintings that were worth 2 1st rounders
Think that’s fair assessment

I actually think teams will now be more hesitant to trade future picks

So this draws to a conclusion tomorrow night

right now it’s looking like pies could have had Callaghan and Daicos if they didn’t trade pick 2 as north are likely not to bid on daicos at 1

let this be a lesson in future trading

Nah, if Collingwood still had pick 2, North would have forced them to spend it on Daicos.

Collingwood have ended up with a couple of good young prospects on their list a year early. It’s gone alright.

As they say …

EC1B40E3-5951-48E3-88BF-C0BD179A2323.jpeg

Nah, if Collingwood still had pick 2, North would have forced them to spend it on Daicos.

Collingwood have ended up with a couple of good young prospects on their list a year early. It’s gone alright.

As they say …

View attachment 1286086
That's some impressive mental gymnastics to draw that conclusion.

As they say …

View attachment 1286086

Would have been a kings ransom for pick 2 given the teams that want Finn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is zero chance any club would have allowed Collingwood to have a live bid at pick 2. What’s done is done… Wright has done a great job so far getting our draft situation back in order. If Daicos slides to four then all the better because further pick trades can happen
If you had pick 2 North could only bid assuming they actually wanted Daicos 1. If they were of the view that JHF is the best player in the draft they wouldn't have the ability to bid with any confidence Collingwood wouldn't just pass and take JHF.

There is zero chance any club would have allowed Collingwood to have a live bid at pick 2. What’s done is done… Wright has done a great job so far getting our draft situation back in order. If Daicos slides to four then all the better because further pick trades can happen
Ordinarily I’d agree but I don’t think North would have turned down the opportunity of calling their first genuine number 1 draft pick.

No one bid on Campbell before pick 5 last year allowing Sydney to pick up McDonald and Campbell. Not quite the same thing but teams did not go out of their way to make the draft night a lot worse for the Swans.

It is what it is. The trade gave Collingwood an extra player at the 2020 draft and helped us kickstart the rebuild, with the long list of draftees now having a year under their belts.

If daicos slides to four as expected then we will still have a good drafting opportunity via some trade picks at this years draft.
I’d take Callaghan over whatever extra player you got last year

The safe bet was to wait to now see where you finish then trade the pick

I think Ned was desperate to bring in another first rounder last year to soften the salary dump blows

Or Collingwood could have traded pick 2 in that case and got themselves into a far better draft than last year.

True.

But they wouldn’t have benefited from getting a couple of players into the rebuilding program a year earlier. Already one of those players (Poulter) is showing good promise …

North would've asked for a lot to flip 2 for 1 but there would've been a deal for it, just too much upside for both sides not to make it work. Pies future first probably would've gone to North in exchange for the swap and some 2nd rounders.

The draft then would've gone:

Pick 1: Callaghan - Pies
Pick 2: JFH - North
Pick 3: Daicos (matching bid).

The Pies botched it, but also what was done was done. After last years trade was made they couldn't ever get that deal back, so finishing 2nd last make it look worse than finishing say 12th on the ladder but it's done.

Clearly the Pies have put a no bid side agreement in this deal with GWS.

The AFL really should step in and ban that and punish teams, but it's hard to prove. It tampers with the draft and punishes 16 other sides.

Clever from the Pies tho because it's changed Daicos' from being bid on at 2 to being bid on at 4.

Why is a kid starting a year earlier better for long term success exactly?

On average he starts his development a year earlier, debuts a year earlier, hits his peak a year earlier …

Obviously nothing is guaranteed. Can’t even guarantee that a pick 2 will end up better than 30 …

… all these things are statistical. And getting two kids into the program a year earlier in a team that finished 17th, you’d think would be a good thing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back