Opinion Nickname

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you really want your club with a state name?

How about Southern Skies?

City, Suburban, Region (GWS) or State name, what's the difference? At least it aptly describes our location. ;)

If you wanted a difference I guess guess Island Devils or Southern Storm maybe?

Most current clubs have historic suburban names which bear little relation to their current reach.

Western Bulldogs doesn't really describe a place. Maybe they should have a location, Footscray or Maribyrnong maybe? :)

City, Suburban, Region (GWS) or State name, what's the difference? At least it aptly describes our location. ;)

If you wanted a difference I guess guess Island Devils or Southern Storm maybe?

Most current clubs have historic suburban names which bear little relation to their current reach.

Western Bulldogs doesn't really describe a place. Maybe they should have a location, Footscray or Maribyrnong maybe? :)
It's really up to you guys what you want, (if you do get a say)but a state side?

I was thinking about the future, if another Tassie side entered, one called Tasmania doesn't sit well with me is all.

Devils. There is no other option. Tigers and Devils, footy and cricket, the two iconic sports in Tassie represented by the two iconic animals. And if anyone confuses the Tasmanian devil with a demon, they are an idiot who was never going to buy the memberships or merchandise anyway...and even those people know the difference between Satan and Taz...!

This is the only serious option and I’d say the vast majority of Tasmanians agree on this. The branding here is very strong and one that all Tasmanians can really get behind.

With the greatest respect, it seems that a lot of the people who are against using the Devils name are mainlanders who won’t be supporting the club anyway. None of the alternative names suggested so far have a better connection to the state than the Devils and I’m sure this is why the AFL have already trademarked the name.
4A4CD6F2-5BE1-4A42-BEF1-7EDBD9786AD3.png

Lumberjacks I originally liked but too close to jack jumpers now, I also liked tridents, a good versatile symbol and original name which related well to the area being popular for fishing.

Devils seems obvious but the AFL never goes obvious with these new teams designs and names. They will probably be called southern force and be light blue instead or something.

Lumberjacks I originally liked but too close to jack jumpers now, I also liked tridents, a good versatile symbol and original name which related well to the area being popular for fishing.

Devils seems obvious but the AFL never goes obvious with these new teams designs and names. They will probably be called southern force and be light blue instead or something.

Yes, who knows what they'd come up with. Originally I thought the NBL name was a bit too 'local'. Jack Jumpers, a well known name here, are a nasty poisonous ant that will attack anything, including people.

Southern Force. Sounds pretty meaningless to me. I just think 'devils' is a comfortable fit for Tassie.

Just call them Tassie Devils if they don't wanna use the full state name.

They'll be Tasmania, and they'll be the Devils. That entire developmental pathway branding is already bought and paid for. All that remains is an AFL team on top of that, and it's either going to be a partial relocation scenario, or hopefully the Devils seniors...

Arizona Cardinals, Utah Jazz, there's others but I want my dinner now...state named teams are not without precedent, and there's only one area of support the team needs to galvanise, who all refer to themselves as Tasmanians...unlike residents of Footscray...

Perth, by the way, is already a WAFL side, but more importantly, a few years after joining, the Eagles put it to the public if a name change to Perth was desired...it got shot down, they liked WC too much...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tasmania Brewers (covers both Cascade/Hobart and Boags/Launceston) - a nice pot of ale as the logo?

Or if steering away from Tassie in the name, and to keep southerners and northerners happy - Hoceston?!
Launbart?
Hodevonton?
They all just roll off the tongue. :)

Or for something unique, just call them the David Boons. David is the official name, and Boon is the mascot/logo.
Or in the same vein, the Grace Tames/Bob Browns/Tim Lanes. The Saul Eslakes!

1645490946847.png

Tasmanian Flynns, Errol Flynns?

They really need to think outside the square.

On a serious note, I always thought, as an original football state, a Tasmanian team should have been included as an expansion side long before now. I'm really looking forward to a Tasmanian-based team joining the AFL.

Tasmania Brewers (covers both Cascade/Hobart and Boags/Launceston) - a nice pot of ale as the logo?

Or if steering away from Tassie in the name, and to keep southerners and northerners happy - Hoceston?!
Launbart?
Hodevonton?
They all just roll off the tongue. :)

Or for something unique, just call them the David Boons. David is the official name, and Boon is the mascot/logo.
Or in the same vein, the Grace Tames/Bob Browns/Tim Lanes. The Saul Eslakes!

View attachment 1331988

Tasmanian Flynns, Errol Flynns?

They really need to think outside the square.

On a serious note, I always thought, as an original football state, a Tasmanian team should have been included as an expansion side long before now. I'm really looking forward to a Tasmanian-based team joining the AFL.

I guess as long as the name isn't a mind numbing one, like the Western something or others.;)

ie The southern something or others.

I think Tassie Devils will do (me at least) just fine.

Using Van Diemen is just silly.

May as well call the AFL the Nieuw Holland Football league. Its as historic & thus just about as relevant.

Tassie Devils will do thanks.

Of course. But didn't you enjoy the play on words?

It's Tassie Devils or bust as far as I'm concerned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back