List Mgmt. Welcome Campbell Chesser (Pick 14, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bums me out thinking how excited Campbell would be, until he reads the Twitter comments section and parts of this board. He seems a genuinely good kid and pumped to be beginning his career with the Eagles.

Looking forward to seeing how he develops. Best of luck mate.

Any player who is dumb enough to read or care about what fat middle aged men say about them on Big Footy should be immediately delisted.

18 year old kid gets picked to play for a club on the other side of the Country and a lot of that clubs fans are putting s**t on him before he even starts his career. Classy stuff. Most want a contested bull because that apparently is our need. We had the best contested bull in the comp and most on here wanted him gone. ffs. There is some really good knowledgeable posters on here, there are also some pretty funny ones and then there are some that are ****ed. Much like any footy club :) - Anyway, welcome aboard Campbell , all the best on your career with the Eagles.

Good luck young fella!

Welcome to the West, hopefully you can hit your straps and we can look back on this for years to come thinking how wrong we all were.

It's not Chesser, it's the draft strategy and the non prioritizing of midfielders which is drawing the ire. Seems like a good young bloke.

Best outcome is if he becomes a quality winger.
Dunno if he has the defensive traits to replace Shep or Hurn.

Bingo. If he can overcome the lack of development that's resulted from barely playing for 2 years then he could be a win for us. In recent years we've had the likes Redden and Hutchings plodding up and down the flanks, we've had Masten "filling space" and occasionally Duggan doing not much of anything. Chesser wouldn't have to show much to be an improvement.

But given his lack of football and don't forget the potential flight risk that comes from being a Vic Metro kid, he must be considered a gamble. 3rd round? Yeah okay. 1st round? No friggin' way.

Whatever happens the kid can always say "I didn't pick myself". This is on O'Brien.

Good read - https://www.sandringhamdragons.com....unflappable-campbell-chesser-shows-his-appeal

Mention the name Campbell Chesser in AFL circles and chances are someone will know who you’re talking about. 

That’s just as much to do with his reputation as an efficient, attacking player on field as his outgoing personality off it. 

Several times in the past few years, Chesser has been in situations where he knows no-one. Each time, he adapts. 

“I know that at his first training session he knew one or two people so you try to make him feel welcome and at home but ultimately there’s 90 kids on the track, so it is a bit overwhelming,” Dragons 2021 coach Jackson Kornberg said about Chesser’s first session after transferring from the Murray Bushrangers to Sandringham.

“But a lot of people gravitate towards ‘Chess’ with his personality which has made it easier for him to make connections and that then translated into his form.” 

And his form was excellent. As a 16-year-old he got a taste of NAB League footy for Sandy and, as captain of the Vic Country under 16s side, he was named All-Australian for his explosiveness and athleticism. 

Representing Vic Country as an Associated Public School (APS) boy with the Sandringham Dragons, having initially been in the Murray Bushrangers pathway, Chesser has links with a cross-section of the draft pool. 

His roots are in Lavington, near Albury, giving him Vic Country status and history with the Bushrangers, before he accepted a scholarship to start boarding at Melbourne Grammar in year nine, following in the footsteps of fellow Albury local, Melbourne Grammar alumni and now premiership-winning Melbourne Demon, Charlie Spargo. 

“I just wanted to extend myself further,” Chesser said. 

“I didn’t really understand too much about the academic benefit at the time but Charlie Spargo spoke to me a little bit about the importance of schooling and education prior to me coming which has helped me heaps. 

“Coming to Melbourne was always something I wanted to do, it was more about figuring out the logistics of it which took the time. I was just a year eight kid that wanted to come to Melbourne and didn’t understand the expenses that came with it and moving away from home.” 

The move demonstrates a sense of adventure that has always been infused within Chesser, one that will be important if he is to be taken by an interstate club. 

The exhausted question ‘how would you feel about moving interstate?’ has got its good run on Chesser this year. His response is always the same: “there’s no AFL club in Albury.” 

Just as he was eager to get to Melbourne, he keenly awaits the next phase. 

“You gain a fair bit of resilience, independence and different values that you grow from living away from home when adversity hits. Moving away from that spoon-feeding, there’s little things you’ve got to do by yourself, organise day-to-day things. 

“I’m quite excited by the prospect of getting on a list and living out your childhood dream but I’m not too focused on the pick or where I end up, I just want to get on a list.  

“I’m really looking forward to hopefully getting there and it resets from day one. Hopefully I’m training alongside some stars of the competition and learning off them.”

Chesser set himself an excellent foundation early in the NAB League season, his composure a step above in the first game against Oakleigh and the noted flare and dare on display in the wet against Northern. 

But, despite playing out the game against Northern, Chesser sustained a medium-term meniscus injury in the second quarter. 

During his recovery, a quote bred into him by coach Jackson Kornberg rang true: “be where your feet are.” 

On top of his grounding from athletics coach Ken Little, Kornberg’s phrase adds another layer of professionalism to Chesser’s vernacular. He remains positive and grounded by what he can control. 

It was tough to watch from the sidelines against Dandenong in round four – an uncharacteristically dry and warm Trevor Barker Oval would have lent itself perfectly to Chesser’s outside run. But he remained happily involved from a leadership capacity, providing guidance, including pulling Jack Peris aside pre-game as the speedy prospect was preparing to assume a new wing role. 

His leadership has grown alongside his confidence as he has spent time away from home, willing to say more and more during meetings as he naturally develops. 

“He just has that impact on people that not many people can have,” Sandy skipper Josh Sinn said. 

“By walking onto the oval, people know that it’s time to work. He just makes everyone around him a better person and player.” 

Melbourne Grammar firsts footy coach Rhys Gieschen was struck by his buoyance in the face of personal adversity as Chesser was unable to play a game for Melbourne Grammar. 

“He’s just a happy kid,” Gieschen said. 

“Despite the fact he had significant setbacks and didn’t play a game, I never saw him think about himself, or get frustrated or disappointed, he was always positive and didn’t require further acknowledgement.  

“He would come to training and have a smile on his face and worry about what he needs to do to get better, whether that is rehab or helping others or whatever it may be so I think that’s a good sign of character."

If we see Chesser not as a half bank flanker, but rather a future wingman/outside mid, he's exactly the sort of player we need and will need with Gaff getting on.

Hopefully we'll pick up another inside mid tomorrow and perhaps the club is banking on Edwards/West/Winder/Trew/O'Neil/SPS to take the next step and develop into our young on-ball brigade.

Pace and skills are the two most exciting words in footy. I'm optimistic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the pick after doing some research he seems like something we need.

A two-way running def/mid with speed and a good kick, we've been absolutely abysmall at getting the ball out of our 50 and a large part of that was due to Jetta not being there, he broke the lines and his laser kicking turned defence into attack very quickly.

Hopefully Chesser can do something similar, he seems very quick and all reports suggest he's got a very good kick on him, don't know about the pace on his kicks though which is very important, but that can develop.

In a few years if he's taking over Gaff on the wings I think that's a massive upside to our team.
We've recruited some inside mids who have a lot of upside still in West, Edwards, XON and Trew so I can see why the recruiters elected for someone who's got a different set of skills.
Kelly and Yeo have a few years still to give and Duggan, Rioli amongst others can roll through there as well.

Plus we still have a few picks left this draft, so plenty can still happen.

I think if he can play the opposite wing to gaff then its a good get.. someone that can get up and down the ground like an ed langdon but with better disposal actually would be a good thing for our side .. he also seems to have food leadership so thats a plus…
No doubt he still spends two years in the wafl due to credits in the bank selection however.

18 year old kid gets picked to play for a club on the other side of the Country and a lot of that clubs fans are putting sh*t on him before he even starts his career. Classy stuff. Most want a contested bull because that apparently is our need. We had the best contested bull in the comp and most on here wanted him gone. ffs. There is some really good knowledgeable posters on here, there are also some pretty funny ones and then there are some that are f’ed. Much like any footy club :) - Anyway, welcome aboard Campbell , all the best on your career with the Eagles.
Nothing against him at all. He’s a WC player now so we back him in. He could be a great player and looks genuinely excited to be coming here so it’s hard not to be happy for him, but it wasn’t what we needed. I’d have gladly picked him up with our second pick, but we needed to go hard with a midfielder early

I’m not going to knock the pick, the lad looks to have a good size about him already. Let’s give the kid a chance to show us what he can do before we crap on him…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back