Game Day 2021 AFL Draft & AFL Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I honestly have no idea what to expect next year & it could potentially go Collingwood bad but if it shuts up our board from the melts and we get Johnson that’s enough for me.
I do hope old mate DanWA was melting the hardest. He's such a gracious loser hahahaha.

They wouldn't have been able to match anyway though, going #10.
I guess they might have hid him in a basement

When an unexpected opportunity presents itself in this equalised competition, you have to take full advantage. This pick 21, with 24 hours of lead in time and several sliders, is such a situation that may only present once every 15 years or so. If we indeed want Johnson, but think he’s still going to be there at pick 22 or 23 or even 24, then we absolutely should slide back a couple of spots and maybe add a F2 or even a pick this year in the 30s. An example might be hawthorns 23 & 26 for 21 and 53, if for example they wanted someone like Sonsie and North did too. The perfect scenario here is some or all of north, Geelong, Hawks or even Richmond wanting the same player still on the board, and that player not being the player we want. If that were the case, start the extortion car!
I think the perfect scenario is us rating several prospects, not just Johnson, and other clubs all wanting a ruck.

Richmond also have 19 next year…just saying…
could take one of their seconds and 19 next year

If Richmond really rated MJ ( not sure if they do) and want to bounce up that ladder Matt Johnson is round 1 ready.

They took a couple of defenders …..if we could get pick 28 & 29 this year off them that’s the absolute extortion I want to see or we just use it.

We would then get 2 out of - Butler, Sonsie, Howes, Goater, Motlop, Knevitt, Draper or Williams.

Add that to Nevermiss and Erasmus…Benning ….chicken dinner

I posted this ion the draft trade board....

Cats picks 24 and 25 for pick 21.
Or has been said Hawks Pick 23 and a F2.

Sonsie and Johnson could be who we'd miss but could get two of Goater, Draper, Motlop or Knevitt.

If Johnson is our guy though then we should just grab him.

If we want Johnson then we have to take him at 21, same with Goater really

North are more likely to trade down than trade up, this means if we trade our pick down then someone else can trade for Norths pick meaning those top 2 will likely be gone, sure there is some more talent on the board like Sonsie and Draper but those first 2 are the big sliders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we want Johnson then we have to take him at 21, same with Goater really

North are more likely to trade down than trade up, this means if we trade our pick down then someone else can trade for Norths pick meaning those top 2 will likely be gone, sure there is some more talent on the board like Sonsie and Draper but those first 2 are the big sliders.
It's easy to imagine that Sheldrick, Lohman or Alleer could have been available. This section of the draft doesn't have set in stone best available. I'd love one of those guys but Draper and Butler are fine prospects.

I wanted Johnson this morning and for the past few days. Can't believe he's still available. Walking away with Johnson erasmus amiss and Benning is a friggin dream come true. While i appreciate the trade down thing and get an extra, it can also easily go pearshaped with wc as 1 example who could then trade up to take him. Personally I'd sound out North but no more risk than that and be happy with the extra 'top 10' player imo in mundy 2.0 and good mate of Erasmus

Getting Johnson at 21 gives us the flexibility to play Erasmus forward for longer in his development. He’d be a tough match up as his marking is above average for his size.

Peel will start the season very well, that is what I’m seeing.

Very good pickup’s.

You reckon you'd pick Johnson?
Is it just me or is Johnson kind of uninspiring in terms of ceiling? He only really can play in the middle, and his kicks look like he gets really underneath them and they pop up quite a bit, with a lot of hang-time, which isn't much good at a quicker game-speed level. Yeah he was bigger and more agile at youth level, and thus could get his hands free to handball and sidestep nicely, but he only averaged 21 disposals at colts level, which isn't exactly killing it with leather poisoning. I see more Michael Barlow with less possessions than Scott Pendlebury.

I'm way more impressed with Goater, his explosiveness, and the fact he can play multiple positions, from midfield to forward to halfback. He also averaged more touches than Johnson and has a higher ceiling imo. He could be anything.

I worry we may have WA-centric blinkers on with this one...and Goater may end up being the one that got away....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back