AFLW 2021/22 Season: Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Temporary lighting has* to be used somewhere, so I'm not sure why Carlton would be ruled out.

*Slight exaggeration, but it's been done in the past at various grounds (including Ikon Park) when it wasn't absolutely necessary for them to host night games.

I don't see why Carlton should always open both seasons.

There shouldn't be a monopoly on opening fixtures.

I don't see why Carlton should always open both seasons.
It's got nothing to do with the men's season.

It's about ticking Ch7's boxes. Carlton/Ikon Park does that better than any other option--unless the AFL aren't willing to add the temporary lighting required, then it becomes a bit more of a toss-up.

No surprise for GC to play multiple matches in Mackay, having a one-per-year contract but not getting to play there last season.

Nor is it surprising if said multiple matches are played within the space of one month (or even 2 or 3 weeks), in order to minimise interruption for local cricket.

But for that month to be in February rather than January, I do find surprising. Possibly depends on when/where their other home games can be scheduled (for example: if the Suns want to play a couple games at Fankhauser Reserve, but Southport only want to host games in January).

Sunshine Coast likely for the Lions this year, ya gotsta be kidding.

Supposedly the season start delay is the reason for Brisbane's venue availability issues. But thinking about it, this way (i.e. a Jan to mid-March H&A season) they should have the Gabba available for finals if required, which is probably the more ideal scenario.
Breeanna Brock, in a video released by Brisbane today, said: "The AFL asked us to find a venue that we would be able to host a prelim final and semi final, if we were lucky enough to get there."

Presumably a Brisbane AFLW home semi/prelim could still be played at the Gabba if it lined up neatly with a men's match again, but otherwise we can expect them to be at Maroochydore.

No surprise for GC to play multiple matches in Mackay, having a one-per-year contract but not getting to play there last season.

Nor is it surprising if said multiple matches are played within the space of one month (or even 2 or 3 weeks), in order to minimise interruption for local cricket.

But for that month to be in February rather than January, I do find surprising. Possibly depends on when/where their other home games can be scheduled (for example: if the Suns want to play a couple games at Fankhauser Reserve, but Southport only want to host games in January).

There is an international T20 scheduled for Metricon on Feb 15. Will be interesting to see whether the pitch is just kept in or they take it out for a few AFLW matches then put it back in. Prior to the T20, the final BBL match for the season is Jan 4

There is an international T20 scheduled for Metricon on Feb 15. Will be interesting to see whether the pitch is just kept in or they take it out for a few AFLW matches then put it back in. Prior to the T20, the final BBL match for the season is Jan 4
I would've thought there's a 0% chance of such measures being taken to accommodate AFLW H&A games. Hence the Suns/AFL looking into eventually sprucing up the training ground next door, as you're aware.

Very expensive to install/remove the drop-ins. Plus CA might want to keep the ground free this January for any contingencies that could arise (relocated Scorchers games, as one example).

But I've got theories for why other possible venues in GC would be ruled out too, so it beats me.

I would've thought there's a 0% chance of such measures being taken to accommodate AFLW H&A games. Hence the Suns/AFL looking into eventually sprucing up the training ground next door, as you're aware.

Very expensive to install/remove the drop-ins. Plus CA might want to keep the ground free this January for any contingencies that could arise (relocated Scorchers games, as one example).

But I've got theories for why other possible venues in GC would be ruled out too, so it beats me.
100% regarding Metricon elite oval needing to become a reality for situations just like this. If the Southport Sharks development happens too that gives us another option.

fair point on the drop in pitch too btw

What’s your theories about other GC venues?

100% regarding Metricon elite oval needing to become a reality for situations just like this. If the Southport Sharks development happens too that gives us another option.

fair point on the drop in pitch too btw

What’s your theories about other GC venues?
Well I found it curious that AFLW wasn't specifically mentioned (not even in terms of potential) in Southport's recent announcement, likewise Gold Coast not being fixtured to play there last season despite having one planned in 2020.

Should they have to look elsewhere then I guess one of the local cricket grounds, like Broadbeach, would be an option. But considering the Lions are deemed too disruptive for Hickey Park, it's not hard to imagine the Suns encountering similar obstacles.

Well I found it curious that AFLW wasn't specifically mentioned (not even in terms of potential) in Southport's recent announcement, likewise Gold Coast not being fixtured to play there last season despite having one planned in 2020.

Should they have to look elsewhere then I guess one of the local cricket grounds, like Broadbeach, would be an option. But considering the Lions are deemed too disruptive for Hickey Park, it's not hard to imagine the Suns encountering similar obstacles.
Could play at Bond Uni?

Could play at Bond Uni?
If they could play there, wouldn't it be even easier to just play at Metricon no.2. Facilities at both are currently pretty insufficient for hosting AFLW games, aren't they.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

November still has another 6 days left 😀

AFL drafts are taking place Wednesday to Friday.

Possibly a day or two afterwards will allow media to write pages of post draft hype/review, then the news cycle continues with issuing of the AFLW fixture early next week (late, late November) and the AFL fixture shortly after.

Last edited:
Would we rule out a home game for the suns round 1?

I’m thinking of going to watch them round 1 while I have a weekend free

The Suns were at home R1 last year and the Lions were away, and vice versa in 2020. We don't have much to go on, but from that you'd assume it'll be GC on the road to start the season.

The Suns were at home R1 last year and the Lions were away, and vice-versa in 2020. We don't have much to go on, but from that you'd assume it'll be GC on the road to start the season.
I was thinking maybe we could squeeze one game in early given we were on the road for a big chunk last season too

I was thinking maybe we could squeeze one game in early given we were on the road for a big chunk last season too
I don't think that'll really come into calculations, however...

Fremantle, West Coast and St Kilda are all wanting/expecting to have their home games (or as many of them as possible) stacked towards the back half of the season. Obviously the flow-on effect will mean other teams having their home games front-ended to some degree.

GC v StK would be an ideal and very plausible R1 match-up, especially since they're yet to play each other for premiership points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back