#21 Leek Aleer (Pick 15, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Welcome to the Giants!

Leek Aleer
Height: 196cm
Weight: 84kg
D.O.B: 21-08-2001

Leek Alleer.PNG

POSITION: Tall Defender

SNAPSHOT: "An athletically gifted and versatile tall defender with plenty of development left, whose intercept marking ability catches the eye."

One of the rare over-age players among this year's National Combine list, 20-year-old Leek Aleer has shot right into draft contention on the back of a terrific 2021 campaign. Having played SANFL Under 18s as an over-ager last year, it took the athletic prospect one Reserves game before he earned a League berth for Central District in Round 7, this year. Credit to his rapid rate of improvement, Aleer found a home in defence and immediately caught the eye with highlight reel intercept marks and incredible athleticism, both of which have him pegged as a viable key defensive option in the 2021 AFL Draft.

STRENGTHS:

+ Athleticism
+ Intercept Marking
+ Vertical Leap
+ Versatility
+ Upside

IMPROVEMENTS:

- Raw
- Consistency

With one of the more eye-catching highlight reels going around, Aleer is sure to excite many fans with his style of play. Intercept marking makes up most of his tape, with the defender's athleticism and vertical leap playing into his aerial feats. Having added some muscle to his body, Aleer is an explosive leaper who hits contests hard and shows great courage in doing so. Whether it be leaping from the back, standing up in a pack, or going back with the flight, Aleer gets his hands on the ball from all angles.

His aerial impact isn't limited to just marking either, with Aleer one to spoil or bring the ball to ground when necessary. As he continues to develop his craft with more gametime, his improved positioning and timing will allow for more sustained impact behind the ball. Aleer's mix of athleticism, raw ability and upside make for a profile similar to that of Carlton's Liam Jones, who became a prolific intercept player later in his career. Aleer has made that switch much earlier.

Across 11 League games this year, Aleer averaged a tick under nine disposals and just over four marks. Lift those numbers by around 50 per cent, and you have a seriously good defender on your hands. At the moment, Aleer is an impact sort of player who stands out when he gets it right, with half of his disposals coming from marks. Getting it right more often will be key to unlocking his high potential, and turning that highlight reel to a full tape.

The upside is clearly there with Aleer, who has come a long way since his Under 18 outings last year. A dynamic type, he was played up on the wing and as a marking forward, but has now taken his greatest strides down back. His decision making and disposal execution can do with some sharpening up and while often neat enough, sometimes sells his side into trouble in open play. Again, experience and exposure at high levels will aid that kind of learning.

SUMMARY:

With tall prospects at a premium in this year's crop, clubs may be in for Aleer earlier than expected. Those who have the squad depth and can back their development programs will likely look at the Central Districts man, who returned an impressive debut senior campaign. His extra year of development and exposure in the SANFL's top flight is a nice advantage over other prospects in the same range, and Aleer could be one who improves out of sight at the elite level. There is an element of crystal-balling to his selection though, with plenty to work on.

Last edited:
With their second pick in the 2021 NAB AFL Draft, the GIANTS selected key defender Leek Aleer.

The key details:

Drafted from: Central Districts, SANFL
State: South Australia
Height: 195cm
Weight: 81kg
Date of Birth: 21/08/01

Bio:

High-marking and extremely athletic, Aleer is a tall defender who has been a revelation at senior level this year after being switched to defence. Hampered by injury for two years, he has come through the grades at Central Districts from under-16s, under-18s and reserves to be play some exciting senior football this year and emerge as a NAB AFL Draft prospect. Born in Kenya to Sudanese parents, he has played 11 matches this year, averaging nine disposals and 4.4 marks, mostly interceptions. Still developing his overall game, he has a massive upside which he gave a glimpse of at the South Australian Draft Combine, breaking the all-time record for the running vertical jump with an amazing leap of 107cm.

What National Recruiting Manager Adrian Caruso says:

Leek is going to provide something unique to our backline with his rare athletic package. Finding a young key back who we can develop was something we prioritised, and Leek’s resilience and character give us confidence that he will give himself the best chance possible to nail a spot alongside Sam Taylor down the track. After suffering a major injury in 2019 he has built his way back to perform extremely well for Central Districts in the SANFL this year, however we see him as more of a long-term prospect than someone we will look to fast track into our backline.

Really happy with this pick.Great story and with Davis nearing the end his height and leap will mean he can hopefully take the 200cm forwards..With our 2 other backs (Buckley and Keefe) sadly to miss chunks of the season due to ACls he has some great mentors to learn of.Should work well with Taylor..Welcome

GWS chose wisely.

I have seen him play in the SANFL. Scarily similar to Allir Allir from Port Adelaide.

A good CHB with solid foot skills.

Yeah he only played only 11 games in the SANFL this season but I knew he was going to get picked up. I didn't think he wasn't going to go in the 1st round though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Welshman seems like a really classy guy .... gonna enjoy watching his progression

apparently it’s pronounced Lek - as in Wałęsa - so we will definitely need to be showing him some Solidarity during his career

as much as I love The Welshman as a nickname, not sure we can use it given the pronunciation issues.

GWS chose wisely.

I have seen him play in the SANFL. Scarily similar to Allir Allir from Port Adelaide.

A good CHB with solid foot skills.

Yeah he only played only 11 games in the SANFL this season but I knew he was going to get picked up. I didn't think he wasn't going to go in the 1st round though.

Tipping our old mate @jaffafan is wrapt to
Have a Central’s boy back at the club Simmo.

The 196cm backman from Central Districts has hailed All-Australian Aliir Aliir and the Frederick twin brothers – Michael at Fremantle and Martin at Port - as inspirations to him as players from a similar South Sudanese background. But it's inaugural Giant Phil Davis who has taken him under his wing since moving to Sydney. "He’s been monumental, he's an amazing character, he's got a lot of experience. He's been a mentor who's been incredible for me."

Aleer may well be Davis' long-term replacement down back at GWS as he outlined how happy he was in Sydney despite hailing from South Australia.
"The boys here are so close because they're all from different places. We tend to rely on each other a bit more than boys at other clubs. It's an aspect I really appreciate. Sydney's a beautiful place and I've been really happy coming here.”

The first assignment for Aleer is the 24th Sydney Derby, where the Giants will try to snap a three-game losing streak and end the three-game winning run of their cross-town rivals. And for the debutant down back, it will mean trying to quell the influence of the legendary Lance Franklin. "The thought's gone through my head. If there's a moment when I'm on Buddy then I’ll strap my boots up and go hard at it," he said. "I'm ecstatic, nervous a bit but this is something I've dreamt about for a long time. I'm just very grateful to be given this opportunity and I can't wait to run out there with the boys and give it a crack."

Leek family.png

Exciting defender Leek Aleer has re-signed with the GIANTS for a further two years, keeping him in the orange and charcoal until 2025.

The 21-year-old said he is excited for 2023 and beyond. “Coming in last year as a draftee and being able to gel with the boys and find a connection early on is something I’m pretty happy about,” he said. “I’m pretty happy with where I’m at, at the moment, and where the football club is headed. The connection I have with a lot of the boys here and the fact that there’s a lot to look forward to amongst the boys and at the football club as a whole is really exciting. The GIANTS are a very fierce club and I’m really happy with where I’ve landed. I’ve definitely enjoyed my football in the last 12 months and want to hopefully better it in the coming years.”

GIANTS General Manager of Football Jason McCartney said the club is thrilled to lock in the emerging talent. “We’re really pleased to extend Leek for another two years,” he said. “He’s an incredibly hard working and diligent young man who is determined to get the most out of himself. We saw some really exciting signs across the VFL season and his four AFL games this year and he’ll be looking to cement a spot in our young backline in 2023.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back