Welcome Welcome to Richmond Pick 17 - Tom Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol a few years. He couldn't hit the side of a barn until 2017. Rose coloured glasses.

He still can’t, by foot. He’s a gun despite that and has been since the back end of his 3rd/start of 4th year. 6th in B&F at 21 years old averaging almost 20 disposals.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

With the move of Rioli into the backline last year , delistings and now start of the draft, I think you can see the club is going to look to further build it's attack off speed out of the backline. With the stand rule I think it's a postive move . If we can add wingers with genuine speed and endurance, aside from KPF, our rebuild will be in full swing. Potential midfeilders Ross, Dow, RCD, Ralph Smith are better than some people think and have just taken longer predominately due to limited 2nd grade competition over the past 2 years.
Drafting of Brown also gives indication that players like Stack , Baker and even Short might be in for a role further up the ground.
And breaking into a senior side with a midfield of Martin, Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards, Lambert and Bolton is a big ask. Why do you think they tried to turn Ross into a half back, because the midfield was chockers even though his debut season was very impressive and they wanted to keep him in the senior side.

It didn't turn out that way, back in the middle for the last game and was perhaps our best player that game. He and RCD in particualr but also Dow, Cumberland and Ralph Smith will be red hot hungry this year, Ross looked in great shape on that video earlier in the week. The club will back them this year, given they haven't taken a mid for their position yet it very much seems that way.

I'm surprised you got all worked up by a tongue in cheek comment initially CB. Two great pick ups

Ask SOS what he thought about a great/sh*t midfield. I'm only commenting on what we have post Cotchin. And at this point it's hopeful at best.
I think we have done pretty well to assemble this midfield with the picks we have had in recent years. The club said they would pick the players they had rated highest with their first two picks and that's obviously what they have done. I expect they will pick for needs now with our remaining picks. We have had 40% of our picks so far, lets wait till we have finished to see the final result before getting too upset. it will take at least 3 years before we know the outcome of this draft anyway, people getting carried away at this point are just making fools of themselves.

Name one A grade midfielder out of that lot. All kids with potential at best.
We wouldn't have a clue about how Cumberland and Dow will end up, they have been there 5 minutes and have shown good signs. I'll back Ross, I think he's a gun. Shane Edwards was bog average early on. Lambert looked like nothing. Bolton spent a couple of years in the VFL, and they actually played games back then.

so would the kid we drafted as a mid at 9/17. While I agree and would love an inside mid, the best bet for next season has always been RCD not a kid we drafted this year.
Feels like a top-10 quality mid like Hobbs, who averaged 30 touches even off an ankle injury, would have slotted straight into our 22 and leapfrogged RCD, clearly improving us on our 2021 output despite only being an 18 year old. It's that sort of mid that we needed now and for the future.

And breaking into a senior side with a midfield of Martin, Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards, Lambert and Bolton is a big ask. Why do you think they tried to turn Ross into a half back, because the midfield was chockers even though his debut season was very impressive and they wanted to keep him in the senior side.

It didn't turn out that way, back in the middle for the last game and was perhaps our best player that game. He and RCD in particualr but also Dow, Cumberland and Ralph Smith will be red hot hungry this year, Ross looked in great shape on that video earlier in the week. The club will back them this year, given they haven't taken a mid for their position yet it very much seems that way.
And we should back the club's decisions.

Decisions which have netted us 3 flags 5 years.

ITT: Richmond supporters who formed their opinion on draft talent from YouTube believing their opinion holds more weight than people who make a living out of recognising and recruiting talent.

Welcome to the club, Tom.

We wouldn't have a clue about how Cumberland and Dow will end up, they have been there 5 minutes and have shown good signs. I'll back Ross, I think he's a gun. Shane Edwards was bog average early on. Lambert looked like nothing. Bolton spent a couple of years in the VFL, and they actually played games back then.
Agree. That's the simple point I was making. Some people here are way too defensive of our club. Claiming Graham is an A grader is just ridiculous.

Maybe maybe not. We won't know now. What I do know is that a KPD and a hbfer won't be the reason for our next premiership window. Midfielders will.
RCD. FMD
And tell me the last time a mid that was selected outside the top 5 had such an impact in their first year that they changed the course of their club? It's ridiculous to suggest that any 19 year old other than a freak will do that. The only ones with those credentials this year went in 3 of the top 4 picks and even then, none of them are dead certs to do a Chris Judd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And tell me the last time a mid that was selected outside the top 5 had such an impact in their first year that they changed the course of their club? It's ridiculous to suggest that any 19 year old other than a freak will do that. The only ones with those credentials this year went in 3 of the top 4 picks and even then, none of them are dead certs to do a Chris Judd.
Why does it have to be the first year?[/QUOTE]

Why does it have to be the first year?
[/QUOTE]
Even in the first two years, they are unlikely to impact, especially since they have not had the development in the last 2 years due to COVID. Tom Brown has speed and agility which the club obviously valued more at that stage than midfield grunt. We can still pick up a quality mid with one of our next picks.

Even in the first two years, they are unlikely to impact, especially since they have not had the development in the last 2 years due to COVID. Tom Brown has speed and agility which the club obviously valued more at that stage than midfield grunt. We can still pick up a quality mid with one of our next picks.
[/QUOTE]

Which quality mid are you thinking of?

[/QUOTE]
I'm hopeful. I think the midfield grunt will be from Tom Green next year.

I don’t post to often so don’t shoot me down but this kid reminds me of Joel Smith who used to play for the Hawks.Nice in the air,very composed,descent set of wheels and a nice kick.All the best young fella.

Reminds me of Brad Sheppard from the Weagles. Good in the air for his height and composed with ball in hand.

Old Shifter Sheehan was pumping up his tyres earlier in the year- his big Smokey.

One thing that got my attention on the highlights package was his effortless kicking style. Smooth as a Mark Waugh cover drive.

Good to add that skill set, I’m not sure we have that many elite kicks on our list

The fact Shifter picked him and Erasmus as his 1st round bolters months ago is the only thing that makes me nervous about this selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back