Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check the first stickied post here:

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can someone please lay out exactly what picks we used to get Darcy and what picks we have left to use in the draft.
If you could also include all the pick swaps that happened in regards to us shipping pick 23 out.
I'd love a summary and I'm not smart enough to work it all out myself, but I love it!

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can someone please lay out exactly what picks we used to get Darcy and what picks we have left to use in the draft.
If you could also include all the pick swaps that happened in regards to us shipping pick 23 out.
I'd love a summary and I'm not smart enough to work it all out myself, but I love it!
What happened and where we stand after the first night of the National Draft:

We entered National Draft night 1 with picks 23, 43, 44, 45 and 52 (plus some later round picks if needed, but with no points value).

At the start of the night we traded in picks 32, 34, 42 and 47 but traded out one of those (pick 32) plus picks 23 and 52. We also did a swap of future thirds with North but that has no bearing on the 2021 draft.

This left us with picks 34, 42, 43, 44, 45 and 47.
We used picks 34, 42, 43, 44, and 45 with a total value 2024 points to match the bid on Sam Darcy at #2 (2517 pts less 20% = 2014 pts).
This left us with pick 47 plus I think pick 73 (worth 9 points) which we are awarded due to the residual points after matching the Darcy bid (10 points left over).

These picks are moved backward one place for each matched bid above them, but forward by as many picks as are used to match those bids. That's because those matching picks can no longer be used to select players, hence everything after them shuffles up to take their place.

All of that, along with whatever jiggerypokery the AFL has added (priority picks, compensations picks, residual pick for Collingwood after Daicos matched bid) means the Bulldogs are now left with picks 41 and 64 at the commencement of night 2. That is, pick 47 came forward to become pick 41 and pick 73 became pick 64.

That's my reading of it anyway, with a bit of help from Lore's nifty draft spreadsheet. Happy to be corrected.

And of course it could all change as Night 2 unfolds. If there are further matched bids there will be more shuffling up and down.
There could be more trading of picks too, although that becomes much less likely as they get down to the later rounds.

Dec 2, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Let’s hope list sizes get increased by 2 for 2023. I feel for Sammy trying to work out who makes way for the 3 spots next year and trying to re-sign so many

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
Lore has one on the drafts, trading main board. Outstanding work by her, she was updating it live throughout last night.

Agreed, Lore is very good value and did a great job on that thread last night.

Ask your mods nicely to edit my post and check the 'sticky post' box. It should stay at the top of the thread so you have it handy tonight. :)

p.s. I would recommend also changing the time stamp to the second post in the thread just so the sticky doesn't migrate when other posts are deleted.

Bulldog Banana

All Australian
Feb 20, 2006
Geelong
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Leicester City, St Mirren
You’d have clubs outbidding each other to get a champion player to unretire and play 1 game at 45 so they could qualify to get their up and coming 12 year old kids in that scenario!
Yeah, I remember Bob Davis saying that he'd like to adopt Luke Hodge so Geelong could've father son'd him. :tearsofjoy:

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
You are correct

Cousins as Shane is originally from Bunbury WA

Wow, thanks - especially after 400+ pages and nearly 6 months! I'd forgotten I asked that question, but appreciate the answer, cheers.

Looks like he never did get drafted in the MSD and spent the season at Peel. Is he a chance tonight?

Islanda22

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2014
Australia
AFL Club
Melbourne
Wow, thanks - especially after 400+ pages and nearly 6 months! I'd forgotten I asked that question, but appreciate the answer, cheers.

Looks like he never did get drafted in the MSD and spent the season at Peel. Is he a chance tonight?

I happened to be searching for Shane Thorne as i know him well LOL

Tyrone had a decent season again in the WAFL after an outstanding 2020 season

I just think he is a little too small at 169cm/58kg

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray

Thanks, 58kgs might be more of an obstacle than 169cm!

From memory I think Shane had a few challenges settling in Melbourne when he was on our list related to being so far away from home/family?

Islanda22

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2014
Australia
AFL Club
Melbourne

From memory I think Shane had a few challenges settling in Melbourne when he was on our list related to being so far away from home/family?

Yeah a very long story with how he was delisted

Shane found it very difficult during rehab as he felt the FC wasn't supporting his mental wellbeing

He was struggling to keep motivated after getting injured very early in the season via VFL (Goldsack took him out unexpectedly which resulted in the ACL injury)

In the end it was a mutual agreement to part ways and it was quite unusual to be delisted after just 1 season

I have no doubt he would have made a huge impact at the FC and it's sad that he never got to showcase his unbelievable talent on the big stage

He did say he and Aker had a punch on during training LOL

Teams can carry a small forward who is on the little side if they're zippy enough.
Kozi Pickett is only 170cm and he's a gun. Spargo is only 173cm too.

Yeah a very long story with how he was delisted

Shane found it very difficult during rehab as he felt the FC wasn't supporting his mental wellbeing

He was struggling to keep motivated after getting injured very early in the season via VFL (Goldsack took him out unexpectedly which resulted in the ACL injury)

I have no doubt he would have made a huge impact at the FC and it's sad that he never got to showcase his unbelievable talent on the big stage

He did say he and Aker had a punch on during training LOL
I always knew Shane was a good bloke

Verry Elleegant won the Melbourne Cup carrying 57kg so perhaps he would be more suited as a jockey.

Verry Elleegant won the Melbourne Cup carrying 57kg so perhaps he would be more suited as a jockey.
Our last jockey went pretty well

1637818536673.png

Dav1d

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 31, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I completely forgot about Kieran Collins ever been on our list at one stage, funny to think he is only 23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back