Club Focus Brisbane Lions 2021 - Fort, Wilmot, Lohmann, Tunstill

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane 2019 club focus thread

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Last edited:
One of Brisbane's big issues this offseason will be working out whom to delist, to free up the minimum draft pick spots required. The roster size reduction will probably result in the delisting of at least one player the club would rather keep. All 2018/19 draftees who haven't yet re-signed will probably be on notice for delisting or trading out.

One of Brisbane's big issues this offseason will be working out whom to delist, to free up the minimum draft pick spots required. The roster size reduction will probably result in the delisting of at least one player the club would rather keep. All 2018/19 draftees who haven't yet re-signed will probably be on notice for delisting or trading out.

Who do you see tipping out?

Who do you see tipping out?

OOC senior list - K.Coleman, B.Smith, Robinson, Joyce, Fullarton
OOC rookie list - Birchall, Mathieson, A.Smith, Ballenden, Madden, Lane

B.Smith, Birchall and A.Smith are the ones I can see gone, with Mathieson, Ballenden and Joyce as maybes. Bit of shuffling to be done with moving players between senior and rookie lists to make our minimum picks. Ely Smith is contracted, though I can see us letting him go if there's interest elsewhere.

OOC senior list - K.Coleman, B.Smith, Robinson, Joyce, Fullarton
OOC rookie list - Birchall, Mathieson, A.Smith, Ballenden, Madden, Lane

B.Smith, Birchall and A.Smith are the ones I can see gone, with Mathieson, Ballenden and Joyce as maybes. Bit of shuffling to be done with moving players between senior and rookie lists to make our minimum picks. Ely Smith is contracted, though I can see us letting him go if there's interest elsewhere.
Do you still think Kiddy should be delisted?

Just a quick summary of Brisbane's list.

Current list spots available - 4 (3 senior, 1 rookie assuming full senior list) (assumes unsigned players remain so)
Current unsigned players - B Smith, Joyce, Ballenden (R)

Current draft picks - 14, 18, 50, 54, 60
No future picks traded.

As per Danny Daly (GM of Football)
- Fort is our top priority. Cox/Casboult unlikely.
- Neale staying.
- Haven't heard anything re Hawthorn players.
- Want to take 14 and 18 to the draft, haven't taken top 20 picks for a few years.
- Waiting until after draft period to decide fate of unsigned players.

Just a quick summary of Brisbane's list.

Current list spots available - 4 (3 senior, 1 rookie assuming full senior list) (assumes unsigned players remain so)
Current unsigned players - B Smith, Joyce, Ballenden (R)

Current draft picks - 14, 18, 50, 54, 60
No future picks traded.

As per Danny Daly (GM of Football)
- Fort is our top priority. Cox/Casboult unlikely.
- Neale staying.
- Haven't heard anything re Hawthorn players.
- Want to take 14 and 18 to the draft, haven't taken top 20 picks for a few years.
- Waiting until after draft period to decide fate of unsigned players.
Assuming Fort comes in, and a rookie to senior list upgrade counts as a draft pick this year, we'd have three spots left and need to take at least two in the draft. Do you see any of the OOC players sticking around? Or will we take three 18 year olds?

Assuming Fort comes in, and a rookie to senior list upgrade counts as a draft pick this year, we'd have three spots left and need to take at least two in the draft. Do you see any of the OOC players sticking around? Or will we take three 18 year olds?

I think both Swann and Daly in their respective interviews in the last few weeks mentioned that we take three players at the draft.

Assuming Fort comes in, I personally would've thought we keep Ballenden around and take two at the draft (due to our lack of KPP depth). Depends whether we rate someone in the 40-50 range at the draft higher than one of those OOC players or not.

Be going for Briggs for mine and if a dirty deal gets done for Gunston that would top it off

There's virtually 0 downside of picking up Mason Cox as ruck/fwd insurance, or even to just big O a rest a couple of weeks throughout the season.

He will literally cost you 0 in a trade (we'll probably delist him idk), and he'd be on $150k ish salary.

I think both Swann and Daly in their respective interviews in the last few weeks mentioned that we take three players at the draft.

Assuming Fort comes in, I personally would've thought we keep Ballenden around and take two at the draft (due to our lack of KPP depth). Depends whether we rate someone in the 40-50 range at the draft higher than one of those OOC players or not.
Every time I watched the reserves Connor Ballendean dominated in the backline. He looks really good back there and I believe he could replace Birchall, and allow Gardiner to play on a smaller forward. If he isn't going to be given that opportunity after he won the reserves B&F, then he should be looking for a home. He is now at the age that if he isn't given opportunity he needs to move on for more opportunity. There should be many clubs that he could progress with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's virtually 0 downside of picking up Mason Cox as ruck/fwd insurance, or even to just big O a rest a couple of weeks throughout the season.

He will literally cost you 0 in a trade (we'll probably delist him idk), and he'd be on $150k ish salary.
It's a solid back up plan to getting Fort. Cats happy to swap him out for ceglar but Hawthorn seem to be demanding some kind of return there so there's a risk.

We're going into the draft with a very good hand IMO, will get 2 handy additions in the 1st round with currently 14 & 18.... + with a highly rated F/S (Will Ashcroft) coming in next years draft I expect us to be open to offering up our 2022 1st rounder if a player we like slides enough to make it possible.

We're going into the draft with a very good hand IMO, will get 2 handy additions in the 1st round with currently 14 & 18.... + with a highly rated F/S (Will Ashcroft) coming in next years draft I expect us to be open to offering up our 2022 1st rounder if a player we like slides enough to make it possible.
How many picks will you be taking to the draft? Sounds like 41 might be up for grabs?

The Lohmann pick shocked me, but after some consideration I'm happy with it. Twomey says Geelong and Hawthorn were serious chances to pick him with their early second rounders, so it was the right time to get him given we rated him.

Good player, no doubt, but what happened to the "we don't need a small forward" refrain from a lot of Lions posters during the last 2 months? How do posters see Kai being utilised with Charlie & Linc plus the other options already available up forward?

Good player, no doubt, but what happened to the "we don't need a small forward" refrain from a lot of Lions posters during the last 2 months? How do posters see Kai being utilised with Charlie & Linc plus the other options already available up forward?
Lohmann is a medium {185cm} forward mate and Rayner is expected to be given midfield time next season

Lohmann is a medium {185cm} forward mate and Rayner is expected to be given midfield time next season
OK, "non-KPD forward" or "small/medium forward". It certainly wasn't an area of interest to a lot Lions posters that I read before the draft. So your thought would be that Lions will move Rayner to a permanent midfield role, and hence Kai is effectively a replacement to Rayner's previous role. OK, thanks.

I think that the true answer is that a lot of those Lions supporters were wrong or, at least, that the club has a different view.

I do think that describing Lohmann as a small forward probably is a bit misleading. I think he is one of several players in this range of the draft that can be described as "forward-mids". One of the things that our club reps have said is what we draft a player as isn't necessarily where we think they'll end up. We're also due to lose Zorko and Robinson to retirement soon, and we'd probably be relying on the likes of Bailey and Rayner to play more midfield. So more depth in those mid-forward roles is a help.

I think that the true answer is that a lot of those Lions supporters were wrong or, at least, that the club has a different view.

I do think that describing Lohmann as a small forward probably is a bit misleading. I think he is one of several players in this range of the draft that can be described as "forward-mids". One of the things that our club reps have said is what we draft a player as isn't necessarily where we think they'll end up. We're also due to lose Zorko and Robinson to retirement soon, and we'd probably be relying on the likes of Bailey and Rayner to play more midfield. So more depth in those mid-forward roles is a help.
I think a few forget Mitch is going into what is likely his last season, whilst Zorko has only a couple more left.

The club didn't really speak of him as a small/crumbing forward at the Brisbane draft night either. A lot of talk around him progressing from high half forward to wing to the midfield. Seems like a kid with a high ceiling if we can get his development right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back