Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
What with the Draft on now, and people potentially wanting to discuss potential Fantasy Rookies in relation to the Clubs that have drafted them .....rather than get caught up in the main Planning Thread, it's time to open

Going to be difficult for so many Vic lads ....some have only played 10 games in two years, so who will get the sustained run we need ?

These are my discussion starters of who I think ...
Jason Horne-Francis is :whitecheck:
Josh Ward :whitecheck:
Josh Gibcus :think:
Nick Daicos :whitecheck:
Erasmus :whitecheck:

Last edited:

I won’t touch JHF with a 10ft pole without seeing something substantial in the preseason games. As highly touted as he may be, he’ll be parked up on a HFF behind an already strong midfield at the kangaroos. Would have to think he’s behind Cunnington, Anderson, Simpkin, LDU, Thomas, Powell, Phillips…hell perhaps even Lazarro and Stephenson…all the while being in a team that finished last in 2021.

I won’t touch JHF with a 10ft pole without seeing something substantial in the preseason games. As highly touted as he may be, he’ll be parked up on a HFF behind an already strong midfield at the kangaroos. Would have to think he’s behind Cunnington, Anderson, Simpkin, LDU, Thomas, Powell, Phillips…hell perhaps even Lazarro and Stephenson…all the while being in a team that finished last in 2021.
Your forgetting Greenwood

No doubt plays a good bit forward

but he kicked 3 goals and had 22 doing similar in SANFL

Hes also better than Phillips, Powell, Lazarro and Stephenson as an inside mid

Not sure where Anderson sits anymore? Thomas more forward and Cunners with cancer

Still going to be hard to pass up a 270k forward with 2 years league experience against men

North should improve aswell

Not sure where Anderson sits anymore? Thomas more forward and Cunners with cancer

Still going to be hard to pass up a 270k forward with 2 years league experience against men

We will see. Too much of the same type in that midfield and unless there’s a game style change, all of their attack is off of half back. Hope he proves me wrong but there’s a lot safer picks out of this draft class for mine

Think it depends what other rookie mid's get named round 1, i don't think we will be struggling this year. I think will go shallow in my midfield to try and pick an extra 1 or 2 rookies and go deeper in the premos elsewhere.

Think it depends what other rookie mid's get named round 1, i don't think we will be struggling this year. I think will go shallow in my midfield to try and pick an extra 1 or 2 rookies and go deeper in the premos elsewhere.
I think we basically have to pick E.Hollands, Greg Clark and Daicos in mids. Not fully convinced Greg Clark plays round 1 with the eagles side. Think hes more backup for Yeo maybe

We will see. Too much of the same type in that midfield and unless there’s a game style change, all of their attack is off of half back. Hope he proves me wrong but there’s a lot safer picks out of this draft class for mine

What do you mean too much of the same type? 😂

There’s not a better spread of dynamic young midfielders than that group.

The only player of a similar type to JHF is Tarryn Thomas (as if that’s a bad thing...)

I think JHF will wax with Thomas between the middle and HF.

The only player of a similar type to JHF is Tarryn Thomas (as if that’s a bad thing...)

A lot of contested ball winners that don’t particularly accumulate. His midfield rotation will still sit behind Cunners, Simpkin, LDU and now likely Greenwood given his limited versatility. Hard to convert that to fantasy scoring.

Last edited:

Hmmn... in the interests of keeping the fantasy board collegiate I will just say simply that i'm not so sure on this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What price is Johnson going to be now that he slipped to 21?

He is most likely to fill the Cerra hole in our midfield IMO

If Fyfe misses alot of gametime I would say Brodie gets the gig

Erasmus will be positioned mostly forward for his first year I think

You are forgetting one of the most important parts of picking him though - he'll likely play nearly every game. JS is more important than ever these days.

With that said, Ward might end up being a safer pick, if you were only going with two higher priced rooks (Daicos obvs the other one). Will be a lot of different looking teams for once this season - given the huge spread of guns/mp's and rooks

You are forgetting one of the most important parts of picking him though - he'll likely play nearly every game. JS is more important than ever these days.

With that said, Ward might end up being a safer pick, if you were only going with two higher priced rooks (Daicos obvs the other one). Will be a lot of different looking teams for once this season - given the huge spread of guns/mp's and rooks
There’s a plethora of blokes a lot closer to basement price with 2 preseasons under their belt (due to COVID) that should see extended opportunity as well. There will be no shortage of rookies to choose from this year…touch wood ;)

As someone who followed the draft pretty closely this year, this is how I've got things ranked for the Top 20 rooks heading into 2022 (let me know if there's any I've missed):

1 (with a bullet) Nick Daicos (Will play 22 games, will score like crazy and will play on ball in most games - so many ticks it's not funny)

2. Josh Ward (Hawks have a few to debut, but this guy will be ahead of all of them. Class and talent, and will play most games next year, IMO)

3. JHF (worth picking due to his likely JS and also the likelihood of him getting DPP by Round 6 up forward)

4. Ben Hobbs (Bombers have shown they're not afraid to inject talent straight away - will probably play a bit forward given the Bomber's burgeoning midfield depth - but he's readymade and can play right away)

5. Greg Clark (Mature age at WC - who sorely need some extra midfield grunt and the word is he could play early)

6. Cooper Stephens (2019 Geelong First Round Pick at basement price - will play a lot this year)

7. Darcy Wilmot (Very highly rated and in a position that the Lions aren't overly stocked in. Has speed to burn and could debut Round 1 if his PS is stellar)

8. Luke Pedlar (2020 First Round Pick at close to basement price (averaged 33 last year in his two games) - around 200-230k based on salary cap increase

9. Elijah Hollands (2020 Top 10 pick at basement price - should have DPP up forward and play a fair bit this year)

10. Neil Erasmus (clever goal kicking half forward who could play early on, given the departure of Cerra and his ability to play as a marking medium tall)

11. Finn Callaghan (Highly rated and touted, but GWS' talent runs very deep in the centre line, so it will be hard for him to get consistent games in his first year with so many ahead of him)

12. James Willis (2nd round pick at Geelong who is built like a brick sh*thouse and shredded to hell already. Can play half forward so should have DPP and get a fair few games given he's ready made and can play multiple positions)

13. Sam Butler (can play forward and mid - giving him flexibility. Will likely get a lot of games at a rebuilding Hawks outfit, and could play Round 1 given what he adds up forward - allowing guys like Wingard to play more on ball)

14. Finn Maguiness (Yet another Hawk, but one from 2019 who hasn't been blooded yet and is ahead of a fair few others in the queue. Should play a lot next year)

15. Josh Rachelle (Probably plays 22 games next year up forward with some stints in the mids - but likely scores average. Worth paying up for if you want a consistent name on the park)

16. Cooper Murley (Small forward for Collingwood, who has speed to burn and adds a lot of class up forward - exactly what they need and could play a lot of games in a rebuilding Pies outfit)

17. Dylan Stephens (re-signed with the Swans in a show of faith by both parties. Dawson departure opens up wing spot - with Dawson playing that role more later in the year. Could play many games if it all comes together, as the wing spot is not an area Swans are stacked in)

18. Tom Brown (First round pick and could play early for the Tigers, as they're not stacked for attacking half backs now that Houli has retired)

19. Finlay Macrae (Priced at 38 currently, and was awful last year in all bar one quarter - thanks Bucks. Would be a lot higher, but unsure of where he sits in the pecking order. If he has a good pre-season, could rocket up the list given the Pies' lack of depth in the midfield)

20. Jackson Mead (2019 Port Adelaide First round pick, and having a good PS by all reports. Port haven't been shy in giving debuts to early draft picks, and I suspect the trend continues this year - just depends when)

Happy reading :)

Last edited:
There’s a plethora of blokes a lot closer to basement price with 2 preseasons under their belt (due to COVID) that should see extended opportunity as well. There will be no shortage of rookies to choose from this year…touch wood ;)

Definitely agreed. Think I posted a huge breakdown in the planning thread of all the possible rookies this year, for each team - and there's a ton

As someone who followed the draft pretty closely this year, this is how I've got things ranked for the Top 20 rooks heading into 2022 (let me know if there's any I've missed):

1 (with a bullet) Nick Daicos (Will play 22 games, will score like crazy and will play on ball in most games - so many ticks it's not funny)

2. Josh Ward (Hawks have a few to debut, but this guy will be ahead of all of them. Class and talent, and will play most games next year, IMO)

3. JHF (worth picking due to his likely JS and also the likelihood of him getting DPP by Round 6 up forward)

4. Ben Hobbs (Bombers have shown they're not afraid to inject talent straight away - will probably play a bit forward given the Bomber's burgeoning midfield depth - but he's readymade and can play right away)

5. Greg Clark (Mature age at WC - who sorely need some extra midfield grunt and the word is he could play early)

6. Cooper Stephens (2019 Geelong First Round Pick at basement price - will play a lot this year)

7. Darcy Wilmot (Very highly rated and in a position that the Lions aren't overly stocked in. Has speed to burn and could debut Round 1 if his PS is stellar)

8. Luke Pedlar (2020 First Round Pick at close to basement price (averaged 33 last year in his two games) - around 200-230k based on salary cap increase

9. Elijah Hollands (2020 Top 10 pick at basement price - should have DPP up forward and play a fair bit this year)

10. Neil Erasmus (clever goal kicking half forward who could play early on, given the departifueeof Cerra and his ability to play as a marking medium tall)

11. Finn Callaghan (Highly rated and touted, but GWS' talent runs very deep in the centre line, so it will be hard for him to get consistent games in his first year with so many ahead of him)

12. James Willis (2nd round pick at Geelong who is built like a brick sh*thouse and shredded to hell already. Can play half forward so should have DPP and get a fair few games given he's ready made and can play multiple positions)

13. Sam Butler (can play forward and mid - giving him flexibility. Will likely get a lot of games at a rebuilding Hawks outfit, and could play Round 1 given what he adds up forward - allowing guys like Wingard to play more on ball)

14. Finn Maguiness (Yet another Hawk, but one from 2019 who hasn't been blooded yet and is ahead of a fair few others in the queue. Should play a lot next year)

15. Josh Rachelle (Probably plays 22 games next year up forward with some stints in the mids - but likely scores average. Worth paying up for if you want a consistent name on the park)

16. Cooper Murley (Small forward for Collingwood, who has speed to burn and adds a lot of class up forward - exactly what they need and could play a lot of games in a rebuilding Pies outfit)

17. Dylan Stephens (re-signed with the Swans in a show of faith by both parties. Dawson departure opens up wing spot - with Dawson playing that role more later in the year. Could play many games if it all comes together, as the wing spot is not an area Swans are stacked in)

18. Tom Brown (First round pick and could play early for the Tigers, as they're not stacked for attacking half backs now that Houli has retired)

19. Finlay Macrae (Priced at 38 currently, and was awful last year in all bar one quarter - thanks Bucks. Would be a lot higher, but unsure of where he sits in the pecking order. If he has a good pre-season, could rocket up the list given the Pies' lack of depth in the midfield)

20. Jackson Mead (2019 Port Adelaide First round pick, and having a good PS by all reports. Port haven't been shy in giving debuts to early draft picks, and I suspect the trend continues this year - just depends when)

Happy reading :)

A good list, just a few to comment on and not sure if bias is getting in the way or not. I agree with most of the names.

C.Stephens and Willis. What's Geelongs best 22?

Hobbs? Most aren't fitting him in the best 22 at dons. Obviously with the above 3 and Mead injuries can and will occur.

I classify a rookie as under the number 1 pick. Think Finn Macrae, D.Stephens are more than that. Not sure on Finn Maguiness price either

I've added a few more
Leek Aleer (More expensive than I'd like but mature age? And senior experience)

C.Dean - Likewise but with Moore, Roughead, Kreuger and M.Keane it might be hard

G.Mcdonagh - Probably needs a injury to a defender (Kelly, Redman, Hind, Heppell, Ridley) but is turning 26 and a rebounding HBF

Marchbank - Dtlive have as basement rookie price don't think that's correct

F.Mcasey - A past top 5/6 pick, has talent. Does he come on this year

Will Kelly - Similar to C.Dean how does he fit into the backline with the KPDs ahead plus Howe aswell

I'm struggling to see many basement mid rookies outside of Greg Clark.

Zac Taylor
J.Mead
N.Odriscoll (All probably need a few injuries)

W.Rioli - Similar to Marchbank I doubt he's basement price

P.Spicer - North don't have a small forward from memory but have added some players so maybe he still misses out. Not sure who their small forward is

Last edited:
P.Spicer - North don't have a small forward from memory but have added some players so maybe he still misses out. Not sure who their small forward is
Doesn't get enough possessions .....what he does is classy, but not often enough for us

Hobbs will need to build that body up ....quite a bit to play midfield at ESS

Doesn't get enough possessions .....what he does is classy, but not often enough for us

Hobbs will need to build that body up ....quite a bit to play midfield at ESS
Yeh Spicer is a typical small forward goal kicker. Doesn't help he's playing for a side like North but they should be better. Probably with the inclusions of Greenwood, JHF and CCJ in the front half it might be a tough side to break Into (I havnt had a look)

Hobbs is ready to go.

It's just we have Zerrett, Parish, Stringer, Shiel, McGrath, Caldwell ahead with Langford, N.Cox better on the wings

If we play smaller ie Hobbs over Francis than he will start across half forward a bit

1639114176913.png

Port Adelaide football manager Chris Davies has hinted first-round selection Josh Sinn could be on the road to a debut early in the season.

The 18-year-old defender faces a challenge to break into one of the competition’s most cohesive backlines, but hasn’t missed a beat since he pulled on the teal, black and white.

The Sandringham Dragons product has already endeared himself to the Port faithful, having last month told SEN SA he was “pretty fixated on heading over to the ‘Pear.’”

“Josh is a young lad who is really smart and articulate,” Davies told SEN SA Breakfast on Friday.

“He probably knew that we had a level of interest, so on that basis, he decided to make sure he was really up with the history of the club… he did that off of his own bat.”

Port Adelaide have been careful not to run their recruits ragged, Davies cautioned, but Sinn has made a smooth transition into life at Alberton.

Here's the lesson for the day .....always read past the headlines on Rookies :$

Sinn will compete with young defenders Miles Bergman, Lachie Jones and Riley Bonner for minutes, while experienced heads Sam Mayes and Trent McKenzie stand in his way too.

He was one of four to join the Power through the national draft; Davies says all are “fitting in really well,” but it will be a longer wait for local midfielder Hugh Jackson, struck down by a hip injury.

“We knew when we drafted him that he was probably going to be a little longer-term, he’s got quite a light frame as well,” Davies explained.

“We thought we could either push him through the year and he might battle a little bit, or we can try and get him ready and effectively take a longer term approach.

“He had that hip surgery a couple of days ago, it went fine and I’m sure he’ll be back in training in probably February or March with the opportunity to play a decent part of next year’s season.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back