Review 2021 AFL Draft Live Chat

Irrational good feels knowing Sydney and Melbourne wanted brown and gws tried to trade for Gibcus

I’m happy we didn’t get Brown despite him being a likely good player. The one we took suits our needs more

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
GWS passed over Andrew for Alleer. Maybe they figured that Alleer will turn out better.

Bit hard to pass over a player who was taken by another club 10 picks earlier.

what we actually did was pass over Andrew for Callaghan.

clearly we (and 98% of the footballing world) rated Callaghan ahead of Andrew, which is why we took him when he was available. After that the point is moot.

now if they were both still available and we chose that way then the point might be valid - but if my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle.

quite apart from the fact we need a defender more than we need another ruckman and your point makes even less sense.

Last edited:
All right so we upgraded the database server so we SHOOUULLLD be fine for tonight with no repeat of the outage.
I reckon you should be ok, WC supporters have gotten the majority of their melts out last night

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I personally know a kid a few years ago who was implicitly told by 3 clubs that they would take him with their late 1st rounders if he was still there. None of the 3 did. One even passed with a further early 2nd rounder before a 4th club then selected him.

Port absolutely knew that essendon would take Sinn. So pretty much did Twomey.
I think your information on this is incorrect TW. Essendon were taking Hobbs if he was available, ahead of Sinn. Essendon had an inside midfielder as a priority need if the right player was available.

All right so we upgraded the database server so we SHOOUULLLD be fine for tonight with no repeat of the outage.
Mate, I was refreshing like a madman and Carlton didn't even draft anyone

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kings of Lygon

All Australian
Aug 31, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Jones is 181 and Rachele is 180, wouldn't exactly call then short people. Matt Rowell is 180 and it didn't stop him going pick 1.

We clearly wanted Horne-Francis or Callaghan but once they were gone then Rachele was a decent pick. Has some traits we desperately lack and would be expected to be a part time mid in time.

Clearly best available at that pick and suits a need. Was Elite in every statistical category and is 180cm tall, so he's not Caleb Daniel.

180cm is pretty short guys and you've either taken KP players in the first round (which your club probably has the best record of drafting of any club) or really diminutive players like the ones I listed. I just found a small forward strange at such a high pick and given how you've drafted recently, also including Pedlar who is in that small range too. As I said, he would want to be a really special talent (like Rowell) to be taken there. I thought someone like Erasmus (whom I rate highly) may have made more sense, just my opinion though.

Oh yeah, give us this list of your special smaller forward line players you’ve found deep in the draft? You just got rid of your best one didn’t you and he was nearly 40

I'm just a poster on Bigfooty mate, I don't actually do the recruiting and drafting for Carlton in case you weren't aware.

Last edited:
180cm is pretty short guys and you've either taken KP players in the first round (which your club probably has the best record of drafting of any club) or really diminutive players like the ones I listed. I just found a small forward strange at such a high pick and given how you've drafted recently, also including Pedlar who is in that small range too. As I said, he would want to be a really special talent (like Rowell) to be taken there. I thought someone like Erasmus (I rate highly) may have made more sense, just my opinion though.

I'm just a poster of Bigfooty mate, I don't actually do the recruiting and drafting for Carlton in case you weren't aware.
Ok so we've ruled out King's of Lygon as Nick Austin.

Just leaves 200 posters who regularly comment on the draft board

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

You really underestimate how much we like drafting flankers and unsuccessfully attempting to turn them into mids.
Just don't try with Kelly!

He's a solid lockdown defender, but we played him as a wingman for a while & just doesn't have the offensive game needed.

Anyone else confused why Adelaide would select another very short player with such a high pick and a small forward to boot? He would want to be a pretty special talent, because these types can be found very deep in the draft as they well know with Cameron and Betts.

They kind of blew it drafting the vanilla short people in Jones and McHenry when there were guns everywhere in that draft, Gallucci an epic fail and Millera isn't exactly a success either just yet. Seems another strange selection, why go so small all the time?
Last year we took a 2M giant with our 1st pick!

We have brought in plenty of talls over the past few years - Thilthorpe, McAsey, Worrell, Butts, Murray, Fogarty... & have Himmelberg, Frampton & Walker too.

On the other hand we have no quality small forward since Betts has left.

I'm confused that you are confused. ;)

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Anyone else confused why Adelaide would select another very short player with such a high pick and a small forward to boot? He would want to be a pretty special talent, because these types can be found very deep in the draft as they well know with Cameron and Betts.

They kind of blew it drafting the vanilla short people in Jones and McHenry when there were guns everywhere in that draft, Gallucci an epic fail and Millera isn't exactly a success either just yet. Seems another strange selection, why go so small all the time?
Nothing wrong with adding a classy mid forward to the side if we considered him the #1 talent available at that point.

Tend to trade in our tall mids (Keays 185, Dawson 191, Hately 191, Seedsman 190, Hinge 190) other than Cook (190) who we took last year.

I'm guessing you haven't seen Jones or McHenry play calling them vanilla.

Instead of going back to 2005 when Betts was drafted, do you have any other examples in the last 5 years of gun small forwards you can get 'very deep in the draft'?

Kings of Lygon

All Australian
Aug 31, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Last year we took a 2M giant with our 1st pick!

We have brought in plenty of talls over the past few years - Thilthorpe, McAsey, Worrell, Butts, Murray, Fogarty... & have Himmelberg, Frampton & Walker too.

On the other hand we have no quality small forward since Betts has left.

I'm confused that you are confused. ;)

I've got no dramas with the KP players Adelaide have taken in the first as I said in this thread, just confused as to why they've gone really small again when their midfield really aside from Keays, is very diminutive.

I just think quality small forwards can be found later as history shows and there are better uses for such high picks, but he may end up being a multiple AA gun. It's cool if you guys are happy with it :thumbsu:

Jeez, how bad does that green NIB logo look against the yellow sash of the Tigers guernsey?? What were they thinking!

Back