Player Watch Pick #12 (2021) - Josh Sinn

Aug 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
With Hammer and Lienert both gone, McKenzie the only super-long kick we've got coming out of the backline.
I know his hammys aren't great but Burton can absolutely launch. Also if Jones goes down there. Not to mention Houston or Bonner if they play down back... I don't think kick distance is a problem in our backline...

Incarnate

Premiership Player
Jan 11, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
“You’d be pretty silly not to know the proud history of Port Adelaide and the incredible relationship the club has with Adelaide Oval,” Sinn said.

“I know it’s one of the oldest clubs in Australia and you can tell there’s a lot of pride in the club, not only for the players but also for the staff.

“I know Port Adelaide has such a passionate fan base, which I think I’ll thrive on.

“I want to earn the respect of my teammates but also of the members and supporters as well so I’ll just be putting my best foot forward when I head into the club.

“I’m not setting any limits or expectations on what I can do with the football club but I hope to contribute to everyone around me and help build a really positive environment.”

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/1033372/sinn-over-the-moon-to-land-at-alberton
15299CCD-AE6E-49AB-8A4C-9F7F7AF5A382.gif

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
This post by Mofra in his Bottom 50 thread is the real reason we traded up to get Sinn.

Player #8 - Nick Coffield
View attachment 1286980
Pictured: Based on recent history, pick 12 (Josh Sinn) will become a superstar

Nick Coffield was selected at pick 8 in the 2017 national draft, one pick before Aaron Naughton. St Kilda have form in this area, selecting Paddy McCarton one pick prior to Christian Petracca in 2014 and Jack Billings one pick before Marcus Bontempelli in 2013. St Kilda's draft history basically make them the support band of the AFL world. While most clubs nail a Queens of the Stone Age with their first round picks, St Kilda are left trying to rock out to Nickelback.

Nick plays what many consider the easiest role in the AFL world. A 191cm intercepterish HB line player, he hasn't really set the world on fire. He was dropped mutliple times this year because some players at St Kilda can actually get dropped for poor performance. His first VFL game in May was an 8 disposal effort that would have left St Kilda fans holding their pillows more tightly than normal. He eventually made the senior team again after their season was effectively over and fortunately his teammates player poorly enough for his 'okish at times' games to go largely unnoticed. This places Nick somewhere between Sultana Bran and Special K on the mini-cereal box chart of player excitability:View attachment 1287002
Pictured: Don't fall for big-cereal propaganda, fruit loops are actually all the same flavour

Playing in the VFL multiple times this year after being a top 10 pick with a number of pre-seasons under your belt isn't exactly what St Kilda would have planned for Nick... but to his credit he has neither left a laptop open with the password taped to the front, ignited a dwarf or dated the type of schoolgirl who keeps empty bottles of bourbon in her room as 'trophies' so he is at least contributing to cultural improvement at Moorabbin.

Nick's basically transformed from a junior star to a best 22 player in 2020 to a guy who averages less than 10 kicks per game in 2021 who is on the fringe of a team on the fringe of being competitive. Well-known chief AFL umpiring assessment office Plugger35 did mention that:

However I can only assume he was speaking alphabetically, as that quote above is a worse call than the one (presumably) de Goey's elite sports training adviser made just before enjoying a quiet night out in New York:

Fun fact: Nick is studying a bachelor of arts/commerce which means he's "the smart one" at St Kilda. That's akin to being 'the cool Bay 13 regular'.

Nick, good luck next year and welcome to the Bottom 50 for 2021.

P4Life

All Australian
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Dont get the comparison with Pittard and all the talk about him being in the backline.
He is a midfielder all day long. Even his highlights on the PAFC website he seems to get alot of ball around the middle of the ground.
My mail is he played back in his few games this year due to injury and lack of match fitness, and a coaching regime that wanted the ball in his hand.
He may start back but he is going into the midfield, the sooner the better as those left foot darts to our forwards on a lead or in a one on one situation is exactly what we need.

Joshykins

Debutant
Jul 7, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Don't get me wrong I hope he is brilliant for us, but who has introctrinated him so quickly into the church of hinkley?

Butters is seen as one of the most authentic young players with leadership aspiration, and he adores Ken. They listen to the players. It might infuriate most of us here, but the players back Ken.

Thanks for the free pick for no reason
No worries. If you ever need another finals just let us know and we will line up a game against you at Adelaide Oval.

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Butters is seen as one of the most authentic young players with leadership aspiration, and he adores Ken. They listen to the players. It might infuriate most of us here, but the players back Ken.
Players unite around a coach they like and buy in however it's also why players don't appoint coaches.. they are lumps of clay with no fecking idea what's good for them.

He’s not Filipino though….

No doubt some wits will appear at games in 2022 wearing cardinal hats in a nice shade of prison bar. Anyway, if he's the cardinal that makes our captain the Pope and therefore... Ken is God ;)

Jojay

PISS BLASTERS "RS"
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Brad Johnson was banging on about how Josh runs a low 10sec 100m - I highly doubt it would be “low” 10s, but - if he runs anywhere sub 11 seconds, he will now be in the top 10 fastest runners in South Australia.
IF he is mid 10secs, he is likely THE fastest runner in the State!

The big question: Is he faster than Duc Nguyen?

Brad Johnson was banging on about how Josh runs a low 10sec 100m - I highly doubt it would be “low” 10s, but - if he runs anywhere sub 11 seconds, he will now be in the top 10 fastest runners in South Australia.
IF he is mid 10secs, he is likely THE fastest runner in the State!
He runs a low 11 seconds. I read somewhere he ran an 11.3 or might have been an 11.2.

Johnson is a *in idiot if he thinks anyone playing Aussie Rules runs a low 10 sec at 18 years of age, and hasn't been snapped up by Athletics Australia or the AIS or a state sports institute.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

The 21-year-old said it was exciting to see the recruiters at work.

“It gets pretty heated with who is going to take who and they all rate the players differently,” Butters explained.

“It gets pretty intense in there when the picks and trades start rolling through.

“Our guys have been pretty good with this stuff for a while so it was good to pick their brains and learn a bit from them.”

Butters is following in the footsteps of mercurial forward Robbie Gray, who has long been interested in recruitment and was instrumental in Butters being drafted by Port Adelaide.

But Butters said he had some way to go to get to Gray’s standard of talent spotting.

“I don’t think the master has any competition,” he joked.

“Hopefully he can teach me a few things and I can learn from him.

“He’s someone I’d like to learn from as well. It’s something I’m really interested in and a path I’d like to go down later on.

“A football club is a good atmosphere to be around. I’ve got some great people to learn from so I might as well make the most of it.”

Adelaide picked up Josh Sinn with pick 12, having completed a trade with West Coast to move up the order and ensure Sinn would land at Alberton.

Butters met the teenager recently and the pair trained together.

He said Sinn was among the players he discussed with coach Ken Hinkley and National Recruiting Manager Geoff Parker leading into the draft.

“I spoke with Ken and Parks over the last three or four months about players we liked. Josh was one with a few others so I’m really happy we got him to the club,” Butters said.

“We had a little kick and run the other day so it was good to build that connection early and make him feel comfortable when he comes to the club.

“He was pretty excited that we drafted him, which is great to see and I’m sure the boys will welcome him.”

vozzon

All Australian
Feb 1, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Don't know if this article has already been posted, but this was from early in the year where Sinn was touted as a potential no. 1 pick before being cruelled by injury and lack of games:

Another instant where port pick up an draft slider that would have been rated higher if not for injuries? Like mitch georgiades?

Back