List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Some more trade and draft resources. Courtesy of Lore.

Key Off-Season Dates
This is a comprehensive list including dates for draft combines, list lodgements, delisted free agency windows and return to train dates. I had to collate these from three different club websites because the AFL is lazy af and doesn't have it on their website, so thought it might be helpful to share:

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

Grand Final

Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Friday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10
Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16
WA: Sunday October 17
NSW & ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Wednesday November 3 – Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 11 – Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday December 19 - Sunday January 9

Draft Order & Future Pick Tracker

FAQs & Resources Thread

It has an index at the top with threadmarks so it's easy to find what you're looking for – or easier than scrolling through 250 pages of AFL Rules, Regulations and CBA pdfs anyway.

These sorts of questions are all answered along with a bunch of other resources made by posters from across BigFooty (feel free to add to it!):

GWS List Summary

Senior List

33: 36 less delisted Shipley & Hutchesson, delisted Wehr (to be reselected in rookie draft), traded Finlayson, plus DFA signing of Brander. 3 to 5 spots available at ND.

1 Phil Davis - 2022
2 Jacob Hopper - 2023
3 Stephen Coniglio - 2026
4 Toby Greene - 2026
5 Tanner Bruhn - 2022
6 Lachie Whitfield - 2027
7 Lachlan Ash - 2023
8 Callan Ward - 2022
9 Ryan Angwin - 2022
10 Jacob Wehr - 2022 [delisted with an agreement to select in the rookie draft]
11 Brayden Preuss - 2023
12 Tom Green - 2023
13 Isaac Cumming - 2022
14 Tim Taranto - 2022
15 Sam Taylor - 2025
16 Brent Daniels - 2025
18 Conor Stone - 2024
19 Nick Haynes - 2024
22 Josh Kelly - 2029
23 Jesse Hogan - 2022
24 Matthew De Boer - 2022
25 Lachlan Keeffe - 2022
26 Jake Riccardi - 2023
27 Harry Himmelberg - 2023
29 Cam Fleeton - 2022
30 Matt Flynn - 2023
32 Kieran Briggs - 2022
33 Xavier O'Halloran - 2022
36 Harry Perryman - 2022
37 Ian Hill - 2022
39 Connor Idun - 2022
40 Adam Kennedy - 2022
44 Jack Buckley - 2022

+ Jarrod Brander - 2022 (selected in first DFA window)

Rookie List - A

4: 7 less delisted Reid & Buntine, retired Shane Mumford. 0 to 2 spots available for rookie draft.

28 Zach Sproule - 2022
38 Daniel Lloyd - 2022
42 Jake Stein - 2022
45 James Peatling - 2022

Rookie List - B

2: full

35 Will Shaw - 2022
46 Callum M Brown - 2022 (Irish international rookie, extended 1 year under COVID rules)

Last edited:

PaythePerryman

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2020
AFL Club
GWS
Of course there is the fear that Bruhn and Taranto will be heavily targeted. But I think after this year they can easily see how they are a big chance to win a premiereship in the next few years if they stay put.

I wouldn't overcomplicate things going after another pick tonight, especially for Howes ....unless it's Idun level gold late in the draft. Keep our picks for next year which is stacked for talented talls, We might need to draft a tall forward....again.

Agree we have had a VERY good night. People are lording Freos draft haul....but I think we might have come out winners.

Orange crush

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Of course there is the fear that Bruhn and Taranto will be heavily targeted. But I think after this year they can easily see how they are a big chance to win a premiereship in the next few years if they stay put.

I wouldn't overcomplicate things going after another pick tonight, especially for Howes ....unless it's Idun level gold late in the draft. Keep our picks for next year which is stacked for talented talls, We might need to draft a tall forward....again.

Agree we have had a VERY good night. People are lording Freos draft haul....but I think we might have come out winners.
Indeed, hard not to “win” with 2 early picks taking local boys

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
Caruso/ Quayle have made some intriguing calls in the past, I think they do a great job. Such as;
1. Spotting a killer competitiveness behind the choirboy demeanour of Sam Taylor.
2. Conor Idun bought so much vibe to the team last year, his personality binds all the young guys close.
3. Maybe Caldwell/ Hately/ XO was 1 out of 3, but XO will hopefully stick around a la Kenners and be a great clubman.
4. Still haven't explored the potential of last years picks, of which Angwin was almost young enough to be in this years group.
5. If Finn Callaghan does play 2022, it might be that flanker role that Pez does. Around the flanks to defend, distribute, and an occasional sausage roll.
6. Leek Aleer - WOW! Very excited where those spring heels might take him.

Some interesting info on what was in front of us:

Greater Western Sydney's pick No.2 had been viewed, at least outside of the club, as perhaps more attainable. The Giants had plenty of interested buyers: Gold Coast (pick three and a future-second round pick), Adelaide (pick four and a future-second round pick), Hawthorn (pick five and 21), Richmond (pick seven and a future first-round pick) and Essendon (pick 11 and a future first-round pick) all made enquiries.

But the Giants weren't selling. They had locked in on silky midfielder Finn Callaghan (the player every other club was chasing) and would only shuffle back a spot if they were drafting ruckman Mac Andrew, who would have been next in line for the Giants, with the club also looking closely at Josh Rachele and Gibcus for the prized choice.

The Giants picked the stellar Sandringham Dragons midfielder at No.3 after their bid for Western Bulldogs father-son talent Sam Darcy was matched at No.2. The bid at that point scuppered the Dogs' hopes to re-enter the draft with a pick in the second round, with the Bulldogs, North and Geelong settling on one of the deals they had been working on for weeks to ensure the Dogs had enough points to match the Darcy call.

Both Port Adelaide and West Coast had considered offering their future first-round pick to the Giants for pick 15, dependent on player availability, with the Giants canvassing several options. They could hold and take a player, try to trade up the order, trade down the order or simply trade out the pick altogether.

While the Giants were on the clock, Sydney rang about moving up from pick 18, while Melbourne had offered pick 19 and 39 for the selection and Brisbane was interested with 20 and a future second-round pick. It's likely all had the same idea in mind – snaring defender Darcy Wilmot – and even though the Lions had the next pick (where Wilmot was selected), by purchasing the Giants' selection it would have meant no other club could leapfrog them.

Hawthorn, too, had offered pick 23 and a future second-round pick for 15 but the Giants didn't budge, instead opting to take a needs-based approach to the selection.

Having chosen against a tall with their earlier choice, the Giants identified Leek Aleer as their key defender of choice. Instead of risking moving down the order and missing Aleer, with murmurs of other interested clubs, the Giants held their spot. The sliding doors of the draft meant that had the Giants gone tall at No.3, their next pick would have been a choice of small forward pair Jesse Motlop and Sam Butler.

PaythePerryman

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2020
AFL Club
GWS
Some interesting info on what was in front of us:

Greater Western Sydney's pick No.2 had been viewed, at least outside of the club, as perhaps more attainable. The Giants had plenty of interested buyers: Gold Coast (pick three and a future-second round pick), Adelaide (pick four and a future-second round pick), Hawthorn (pick five and 21), Richmond (pick seven and a future first-round pick) and Essendon (pick 11 and a future first-round pick) all made enquiries.

But the Giants weren't selling. They had locked in on silky midfielder Finn Callaghan (the player every other club was chasing) and would only shuffle back a spot if they were drafting ruckman Mac Andrew, who would have been next in line for the Giants, with the club also looking closely at Josh Rachele and Gibcus for the prized choice.

The Giants picked the stellar Sandringham Dragons midfielder at No.3 after their bid for Western Bulldogs father-son talent Sam Darcy was matched at No.2. The bid at that point scuppered the Dogs' hopes to re-enter the draft with a pick in the second round, with the Bulldogs, North and Geelong settling on one of the deals they had been working on for weeks to ensure the Dogs had enough points to match the Darcy call.

Both Port Adelaide and West Coast had considered offering their future first-round pick to the Giants for pick 15, dependent on player availability, with the Giants canvassing several options. They could hold and take a player, try to trade up the order, trade down the order or simply trade out the pick altogether.

While the Giants were on the clock, Sydney rang about moving up from pick 18, while Melbourne had offered pick 19 and 39 for the selection and Brisbane was interested with 20 and a future second-round pick. It's likely all had the same idea in mind – snaring defender Darcy Wilmot – and even though the Lions had the next pick (where Wilmot was selected), by purchasing the Giants' selection it would have meant no other club could leapfrog them.

Hawthorn, too, had offered pick 23 and a future second-round pick for 15 but the Giants didn't budge, instead opting to take a needs-based approach to the selection.

Having chosen against a tall with their earlier choice, the Giants identified Leek Aleer as their key defender of choice. Instead of risking moving down the order and missing Aleer, with murmurs of other interested clubs, the Giants held their spot. The sliding doors of the draft meant that had the Giants gone tall at No.3, their next pick would have been a choice of small forward pair Jesse Motlop and Sam Butler.
Yeah none of these deals were worth taking at all.
It added a bit of excitement to try and get up to Gibcus and I think our future first would have been decent compensation, but overall it'll be really interesting to see who blossoms quicker between Gibcus and Aleer. Leek is certainly further along having played more games in the SANFL and is probably able to be slotted in quicker.

Phil Davis and Stein are the two he needs to out perform.

Early predictions for our best 22 for next year will be interesting. Spots are up for grabs big time....

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I wonder what Sydney were offering? I can understand why we wouldn't budge on a second or third round pick in this draft, as essentially we'd made up our mind to just take three picks (although we could have tried to sell it to someone else for a future pick). But a future pick - especially a future second round pick - might have been worthwhile (but we wouldn't have wanted to lose Leek). Melbourne I might have been wary of moving up to take him, so not swapping with them, nor Brisbane in case Melbourne chose him at #19. Sydney might have seemed OK, unless it was felt they might have been targeting him with the move. I can't see that they would have moved up to ensure Sheldrick, when at #18 he was a fairly early call. And KPD was one of their needs.

Anyway, all done, never happened, and happy enough with the outcome. Always easier to Monday night quarterback events, more difficult when it's your stuff on the line and live.

Taylor Moss

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Yeah none of these deals were worth taking at all.
It added a bit of excitement to try and get up to Gibcus and I think our future first would have been decent compensation, but overall it'll be really interesting to see who blossoms quicker between Gibcus and Aleer. Leek is certainly further along having played more games in the SANFL and is probably able to be slotted in quicker.

Phil Davis and Stein are the two he needs to out perform.

Early predictions for our best 22 for next year will be interesting. Spots are up for grabs big time....
Yep. Offers were way unders for mine.
Twomey was right in his reporting (for a change) as that’s what was being offered; but I’m very very glad we didn’t take any of them.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Imagine if we got West Coast’s future 1st!! That would have been another Collingwood fleecing job. Shame.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but had we known Howes would slide we probably would have traded back a little and if we missed Aleer taken a Butler and got Howes.

Trouble is nobody knows for sure what others are doing. I’m rapt they tried to trade up for Gibcus and also glad they took Aleer.

We have addressed a key issue and can sort out small forward and key forward next trade and draft period and have heaps of collateral to use to bring in what we need.

No real reason I'm bringing this up, but surely anyone posting on our board with an ex-GWS player's name as their account name should be permabanned. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Imagine if we got West Coast’s future 1st!! That would have been another Collingwood fleecing job. Shame.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but had we known Howes would slide we probably would have traded back a little and if we missed Aleer taken a Butler and got Howes.

Trouble is nobody knows for sure what others are doing. I’m rapt they tried to trade up for Gibcus and also glad they took Aleer.

We have addressed a key issue and can sort out small forward and key forward next trade and draft period and have heaps of collateral to use to bring in what we need.

Would’ve loved that west coast pick

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
One day when he least expects it ...

It was Cameron's decision to leave though.
Do we know why , I mean surely he looked at Geelongs age profile and thought it could be a bad move. I think geelong must have told him a few porky pies about their future recruitment plans.

Taylor Moss

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
It was Cameron's decision to leave though.
Do we know why , I mean surely he looked at Geelongs age profile and thought it could be a bad move. I think geelong must have told him a few porky pies about their future recruitment plans.
We’ll never know: maybe he thought the club wouldn’t succeed under Leon?

We’ll never know: maybe he thought the club wouldn’t succeed under Leon?
I think you might be projecting your views of Leon on Jeremy who has given no such indication.

I would say there is a stack of different reasons. Being close to the family, playing in big games, money, maybe he rated Geelong a better chance of a premiership. A combination of all of it.

Taylor Moss

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I think you might be projecting your views of Leon on Jeremy who has given no such indication.

I would say there is a stack of different reasons. Being close to the family, playing in big games, money, maybe he rated Geelong a better chance of a premiership. A combination of all of it.

Well I actually said we will never know.

And then posed a hypothetical scenario that may or may not be the case because my factual statement of “we’ll never know” is the only surety.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back