Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
2022-Rookies.png

What with the Draft on now, and people potentially wanting to discuss SC Rookies in relation to the Clubs that have drafted them .....rather than get caught up in the main Planning Thread, it's time to open

Going to be difficult for so many Vic lads ....some have only played 10 games in two years, so who will get the sustained run we need ?

These are my discussion starters of who I think ...
Jason Horne-Francis is :whitecheck:
Josh Ward :whitecheck:
Josh Gibcus :think:
Nick Daicos :whitecheck:

Last edited:
May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What with the Draft on now, and people potentially wanting to discuss SC Rookies in relation to the Clubs that have drafted them .....rather than get caught up in the main Planning Thread, it's time to open

Going to be difficult for so many Vic lads ....some have only played 10 games in two years, so who will get the sustained run we need ?

These are my discussion starters of who I think ...
Jason Horne-Francis is :whitecheck:
Josh Ward :whitecheck:
Josh Gibcus :think:
Nick Daicos :whitecheck:
The intra club games will be very important again this year I reckon.
Is it only 2 pre season games again this year?

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
The intra club games will be very important again this year I reckon.
Is it only 2 pre season games again this year?
I suspect so ....the Clubs were not keen to have many, so 2 was their call ....but as you know Coach's are never happy, so they could easily backflip

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I suspect so ....the Clubs were not keen to have many, so 2 was their call ....but as you know Coach's are never happy, so they could easily backflip
After tonight's draft is done we can start looking at best 22's.
Most North best 22s have had JHF in them for months. Our second pick will almost certainly play r1 if they can play in defence.
If we pick a ruck, mid or a forward I doubt they get games all year.
Goater would be a great way to faze Ziegull out over the next few years.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
After tonight's draft is done we can start looking at best 22's.
Most North best 22s have had JHF in them for months. Our second pick will almost certainly play r1 if they can play in defence.
If we pick a ruck, mid or a forward I doubt they get games all year.
Goater would be a great way to faze Ziegull out over the next few years.
Multiple sources have told foxfooty.com.au the Blues have had long and strong interest in Dandenong Stingrays prospect Connor Macdonald – a shrewd, athletic midfielder that impacts games both in the centre square and inside 50 when he pushes forward.

To add to the intrigue, the Kangaroos and Hawthorn (Pick 23) will also consider taking Macdonald before the Cats enter the draft.

I've been a huge fan of Goater for the last couple of months .....was superb in the Vic Metro v Country match as a midfielder .....the ???? are his kicking ....and does North need another Mid ?

Most of the kids drafted so far look like they could have decent relevance, probably because there has been so few talls so far.

Probably just cross off Andrew, Gibcus and anyone GWS pick.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Most of the kids drafted so far look like they could have decent relevance, probably because there has been so few talls so far.

Probably just cross off Andrew, Gibcus and anyone GWS pick.
Agree .....but I wouldn't write off Gibcus .....he's a massive talent & going to have a fair ol build on him too

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Multiple sources have told foxfooty.com.au the Blues have had long and strong interest in Dandenong Stingrays prospect Connor Macdonald – a shrewd, athletic midfielder that impacts games both in the centre square and inside 50 when he pushes forward.

To add to the intrigue, the Kangaroos and Hawthorn (Pick 23) will also consider taking Macdonald before the Cats enter the draft.

I've been a huge fan of Goater for the last couple of months .....was superb in the Vic Metro v Country match as a midfielder .....the ???? are his kicking ....and does North need another Mid ?
He has been playing intercept defender.
86% kicking efficiency in defence so that is not a worry.
We would play him as third tall defender over Josh Walker.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
He has been playing intercept defender.
86% kicking efficiency in defence so that is not a worry.
We would play him as third tall defender over Josh Walker.
Buttox, Goater is a natural mid .....to play him off HBF is simply limiting the lad

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Buttox, Goater is a natural mid .....to play him off HBF is simply limiting the lad
He showed this year he is good down back.
28 touches in his last game back.
Heaps of intercept marks.
We would have like 10 mids that will get a run before him.
I agree over most of his juniors he has been a mid. But he has shown plenty down back.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
We would have like 10 mids that will get a run before him.
I agree over most of his juniors he has been a mid. But he has shown plenty down back.
That's why I doubt North take Goater .....you've got a fabulous midfield now .....just need Cunners back, best of luck too him BTW

Agree .....but I wouldn't write off Gibcus .....he's a massive talent & going to have a fair ol build on him too

Very happy the tigs got him, just don't think he'll be a great cow, especially at the 170k price tag.

Him and Balta will be an awesome set up.
Im surprised you guys didn't grab mids.

I was hoping for Gibcus or Hobbs at 9.

Didn't expect them to pick another defender with the 2nd pick, don't think any supporters did, but I reckon this Brown kid might start off on the wing for now and float back after some of the older defenders start to hang up the boots.

not sc relevant i don't think but very happy with Jacob Van Rooyen.

Looks a clone of Tmac but with more athleticism.

Dees play rooks and we don't have many keys so he could always get a crack.

I have seen him play quite a bit he is very similar to Jayden Short. He could be fighting with Coleman for the running HB role so might be a good chance early.

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United, All Blacks
I have seen him play quite a bit he is very similar to Jayden Short. He could be fighting with Coleman for the running HB role so might be a good chance early.
He's gonna have the whole forum cheering him on........until he spuds it :moustache:

Blake Howes steal of the draft.

Watch out for him and Fraser Rosman on each wing. 2 seriously freakish runners both at 190+ cm.

Rosman or maybe even Howes could play this year, there is a wing spot at the dees to play for.

Sep 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Chiefs
Looks like a lot of potential reasonable rookies. Think everyone on this list is a shot at R1

Constable ~210K, MID - Perhaps opportunity with Greenwood out, similar deficiencies to Brodie on the spread so a watch.
JHF - 210k (MID/(FWD?) - Likely plays mostly HF,
Daicos 193K, MID - Starting his career at half back it seems, probably not the messiah but a watch.
Ward 180k MID - 133 avg in 5 games. Ready to go mid, might be a spot for him
Erasmus 170k - 160 avg in 4 colts games. Guys a beast should have gone higher. Can play forward so might spend most of his time there.
Hobbs 153k- 127 avg in 6 games. Ready to go mid, stoppage player. Tough competition at the bombers.
Sheldrick 139k - 152 9 games, might be a spot at the Swans.
Connr McDonald 117k MID - 148 avg. Hopefully mid spot at Hawks
Greg Clark 117K, MID - As stated above, 24 y.o mature ager in the 18th ranked midfield at the Eagles, potential gem.
Roberts 117K, MID/(FWD?) - 201 avg over 3 u18 SANFL games. Heard he was played out of position in the SANFL, ready to go mid. Had some quiet games but touted as a first rounder earlier in the year.

Leek Alieer 144k DEF - 67 avg SANFL, bench maybe. Good interceptor/spoiler, no offensive presence.
Darcy Wimost - 130k - Cant find stats but Bris need pace off half back
Bodhi Uwland 102k Def - 144 pts, GC rookie pick.

Will also have Fin Macrae 200k, Charlie Curnow ~220k, Sam Skinner 177k, Hollands 123k

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Gday Boys haven't posted in a while, hope everyone is well. Keep an eye on Greg Clark (wce). Mature age 24yo body, dominated the WAFL and had 14 tackles in the Granny. He's a gun... could be Barlowesque. If he's half as good we'll take it. Our midfield is poo. Walk up start.

Tackling machine is a lock in all formats if named for Rd1. Probably an on-field option too.

MATURE AGER - Greg Clark (Pick 62, West Coast Eagles)

The 24-year-old was one of not too many mature-age recruits, but he’s one with a brilliant story of perseverance.

“I knew this boy six years ago when he was in the national academy with all the best kids in Australia - he was disappointed to be overlooked and he was an outside wingman then and is now an inside midfielder, a captain and a leader,” Kevin Sheehan said.

Over in WA, Mick Ablett was nothing but complimentary of Clark’s journey to realising his AFL dream.

“He is an example of someone who has completely transformed their game,” he said.

“He was very outside as an underage player. I watched him play in the Grand Final this year and he got absolutely crunched in the first quarter and a lot of players wouldn’t have got up, but he got up and had the shoulder taped up and went on to play the rest of the game and came out best on ground.

“He’s a player who has come a long, long way and he’s a beast.”

The big-bodied inside midfielder had a tremendous 2021 campaign, capped off by his scintillating grand final performance against South Fremantle: 2.1 from 25 disposals, 14 tackles and six clearances.

Among players that played at least five WAFL league matches this year, Clark ranked first for tackles (7.3 per match), fifth for disposals (27.1), seventh for contested possessions and 12th for score involvements.

The Subiaco bull revealed post-season there’d been “a little bit” of interest from AFL clubs since the mid-season draft, with The West Australian reporting WA-based clubs Fremantle and West Coast had been keeping tabs.

He’d be a terrific inclusion for not just those two teams, but any of the other 16 clubs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back