Movie Who should be the next Bond?

Remove this Banner Ad

images
Ah yes Mike Myers the famous CANADIAN comedic actor with British parents.

Hate to say it but he's going to struggle on the height too.
Very true. I was being a bit silly/facetious though in honour of the silliness of the rules. How about sharing a female that can play someone called James Bond better than dinklage can do an accent? I answered your question.

This is a great shout if they go the lesser known route (which i would like).

Charlie Hunnam ive never seen clean shaven? Cavill seems really obvious as does Madden to a lesser degree.

Matthew Goode is someone im a big fan of but i think hes already 43?

Very true. I was being a bit silly/facetious though in honour of the silliness of the rules. How about sharing a female that can play someone called James Bond better than dinklage can do an accent? I answered your question.
Emily Blunt
Margo Robbie
Charlize Theron (although probably outside the age range now) - Her character in Atomic Blonde was pretty much a female James Bond, right down to the alcoholism.

I had this convo with a (female) friend and got in ALOT of trouble for being sexist but anyway...

James Bonds inherent masculinity inclusive of his complex relationship with women (both mother figures, sister figures and romantic partners) is pretty inherent and important to the character. The most recent Craig run was almost entirely about developing as a man from the young naive pup into the older statesman
Even becoming a father and realizing that a family might be more rewarding than the playboy life, albeit the sacrifice required for that family robbed him of it

I rarely ever complain about diversity in casting (the backlash at the black Johnny Storm and recent Ghostbusters gender flips were just absurd IMO) and even the suggestion that Phoebe Waller Bridge might become Diana Jones (instead of Indiana Jones) doesnt concern me in the slightest, the race and gender of those characters isnt a core part of the characters make up but a female Bond... it would just be name for name recognition stakes.

I rarely ever complain about diversity in casting (the backlash at the black Johnny Storm and recent Ghostbusters gender flips were just absurd IMO) and even the suggestion that Phoebe Waller Bridge might become Diana Jones (instead of Indiana Jones) doesnt concern me in the slightest, the race and gender of those characters isnt a core part of the characters make up but a female Bond... it would just be name for name recognition stakes.
Re: female Indiana Jones may as well be called Indiana as it's a nickname anyway.

Re: Black Johnny Storm my issue with it was that having the black guy be the one that is on fire probably wasn't a great look and also them not matching the casting for Sue Storm and having to complicate the relationship. Might have been better and simpler to go with a black Reed Richards.

Re: Ghostbuster them being female wasn't an issue for me, the movie being shite was the issue they were all terrible in it except for Kate McKinnon's Holtzman. I was very disappointed in Kristen Wigg and Melissa McCarthy's performances and characters whilst Leslie Jones character was a complete stereotype and missed the everyman quality of Ernie Hudson. They also leaned too far into the comedy and the jokes fell flat. You could probably classify it as "Too many Ray's and no Venkman".

Last edited:
Emily Blunt
Margo Robbie
Charlize Theron (although probably outside the age range now) - Her character in Atomic Blonde was pretty much a female James Bond, right down to the alcoholism.
Pretty much a female James bond, which isn't James Bond. Your own original rules included the fact the name wouldn't change. How can you honestly say a woman can believably play a spy (someone that by definition needs to be able to go incognito) called James Bond? Emily blunt orders a shaken martini at the bar then introduces herself as bond, James Bond to the evil mastermind she’s there to thwart. No suspicions raised there.

I’ve got no doubt there are women that can play action but they can’t be James Bond. There is more than one agent working for MI6.

Pretty much a female James bond, which isn't James Bond. Your own original rules included the fact the name wouldn't change. How can you honestly say a woman can believably play a spy (someone that by definition needs to be able to go incognito) called James Bond? Emily blunt orders a shaken martini at the bar then introduces herself as bond, James Bond to the evil mastermind she’s there to thwart. No suspicions raised there.

I’ve got no doubt there are women that can play action but they can’t be James Bond. There is more than one agent working for MI6.
What? Women can't order martinis? Plus given the names of the women in the James Bond universe a woman named James Bond is practically normal.

Also Bond hardly goes incognito. He tends to make himself obvious where ever he goes.

Last edited:
I had this convo with a (female) friend and got in ALOT of trouble for being sexist but anyway...

James Bonds inherent masculinity inclusive of his complex relationship with women (both mother figures, sister figures and romantic partners) is pretty inherent and important to the character. The most recent Craig run was almost entirely about developing as a man from the young naive pup into the older statesman
Even becoming a father and realizing that a family might be more rewarding than the playboy life, albeit the sacrifice required for that family robbed him of it

Not sure I agree with this; sure, Bond’s masculinity and complex relationship with women is part of his character but it’s not like it was written that way expressly to make some kind of social commentary. It was just fleshing out the character.

There’s no reason why a female Bond can’t be overly aggressive, have complex relationship with men. It’s just character traits flipped. Obviously the IP is the primary reason to do it rather than creating a new character that may flop but I see no issue with any character other than historical being gender or race flipped. They’re fictional.

Not sure I agree with this; sure, Bond’s masculinity and complex relationship with women is part of his character but it’s not like it was written that way expressly to make some kind of social commentary. It was just fleshing out the character.

There’s no reason why a female Bond can’t be overly aggressive, have complex relationship with men. It’s just character traits flipped. Obviously the IP is the primary reason to do it rather than creating a new character that may flop but I see no issue with any character other than historical being gender or race flipped. They’re fictional.
I’m not gonna get bent out of shape if they do it, ultimately I don’t really care, but it’s as you say, if it’s done it’s done purely for the IP and the name recognition, that’s fine, but let’s not pretend that the character as it’s written and has been portrayed on screen for 60 odd years works as a woman. You’re effectively agreeing with me but saying you wouldn’t take issue with it, which is completely fine, I wouldn’t really either, it’s just that in this case (different to other ip) his being make is pretty core to his character, that’s not the case with most other gender or race swaps.

Or complex relationship with women ;)

It would be amusing to see a female James Bond making sexual innuendo at Moneypenny.

James Bond is a bloke.
James Bond is British.
The actor playing James Bond doesn't need to carry the franchise for 10-15 years. Keep it moving with new actors. Do your 2-3 movies then * off and let someone else do it.
James Bond movies need to be self contained with no continuing storyline like Daniel Craig's was. We don't need character arcs, it's a *in spy who has gadgets, cars and villains with crazy schemes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

James Bond is a bloke.
James Bond is British.
The actor playing James Bond doesn't need to carry the franchise for 10-15 years. Keep it moving with new actors. Do your 2-3 movies then fu** off and let someone else do it.
James Bond movies need to be self contained with no continuing storyline like Daniel Craig's was. We don't need character arcs, it's a fu**in spy who has gadgets, cars and villains with crazy schemes.
The Craig arc has absolutely elevated the franchise so i doubt youll get it back to stand alone stories.

Emily Blunt
Margo Robbie

Everyone laughed at how lame AB was with some short lightweight woman beating up huge men.

007 has no super powers and is an action hero.

Don't know how they would get around that aspect of the film without making it look totally ridiculous.

Everyone laughed at how lame AB was with some short lightweight woman beating up huge men.

Don't know how they would get around that aspect of the film without making it look totally ridiculous.
The only people laughing at Atomic Blonde were fragile men. All action movies are unrealistic, Craig beating up Bautista in Spectre was unrealistic but if it’s presented well, people don’t care.

Yeh... who was laughing at Atomic Blonde, great film. They also managed to coreograph the fights to be pretty believable, she used alot of leverage based attacks and counters. Not to mention its one of the few movies where after a brutal fight scene she showed the impacts.

Yeh... who was laughing at Atomic Blonde, great film. They also managed to coreograph the fights to be pretty believable, she used alot of leverage based attacks and counters. Not to mention its one of the few movies where after a brutal fight scene she showed the impacts.

Believable?

Those punches would have knocked her stupid but she jumps up like they are nothing.

I laughed in that scene.

Believable?

Those punches would have knocked her stupid but she jumps up like they are nothing.

I laughed in that scene.
You must laugh your arse off at Rocky, Arnie movies, every action film ever made. A single punch can knock a person out in real life, action heroes take 20, 30 to the head, baseball bats, more and bounce up. Drawing the line at Atomic Blonde says more about you than the film.

Believable?

I laughed in that scene.
You sound alot like someone who has never been in a fight, its remarkably hard to clean KO someone and every fight scene they got up limping and pained. You suspend disbelief in any action movie, that you couldnt because it was a girl fighting says way more about you than the movie.

The choreography did a great job of moving around the strength and power difference by making most of her moves counter fighting and leverage based.

Ultimately im in the "dont make Bond a woman" camp but your reasons for it are just flawed.

The only people laughing at Atomic Blonde were fragile men. All action movies are unrealistic, Craig beating up Bautista in Spectre was unrealistic but if it’s presented well, people don’t care.

The only men who think it is anyway realistic are the men who have never been in a fight.

Comparing man v man is different to comparing 2 men v 1 woman when the men are supposedly there because they are deadly threats.

Sure they are over the top, but go too far and it becomes a joke.

You must laugh your arse off at Rocky, Arnie movies, every action film ever made. A single punch can knock a person out in real life, action heroes take 20, 30 to the head, baseball bats, more and bounce up. Drawing the line at Atomic Blonde says more about you than the film.

Well they are corny as * aren't they? Especially Rocky. I always thought the Rocky films were rubbish.

I laughed at the bit where you said they take 20 or 30 to the head and get up. That's literally boxing or MMA.

So if Rocky is corny AF then can't AB be corny AF too?

Believable?

I laughed in that scene.
Well they are corny as fu** aren't they? Especially Rocky. I always thought the Rocky films were rubbish.

I laughed at the bit where you said they take 20 or 30 to the head and get up. That's literally boxing or MMA.

So its totally unbelievable that she could get up from punches but also in real life combat sports you can take 20 or 30 and keep going...

Right/

Well they are corny as fu** aren't they? Especially Rocky. I always thought the Rocky films were rubbish.

Neither is corny. They are movies where you have to suspend some level of belief but, if presented well, are entertaining.

And MMA isn’t people taking 20-30 punches to the head, it’s narrowly avoiding 20-30 (gloved) punches to the head, or taking them on your guard; one flush punch to the face and they drop like a sack of potatoes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back