List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, our zero top 10 picks last year really should count as top 10 picks because reasons… brilliant.

Makes as much sense as stating our future is solely based on “Daicos and some 3rd rounders”, hey?

Mollythedolly

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
right… please point out who said that though??

we need elite draft picks to build a premiership list around, Daicos is a start but not enough

Nah, we need elite players. Don't care where they come in the draft, as long as they end up as A-graders. Could just as easily end up being McInnes or Macrae or Henry as Nick Daicos.

there’s a massive difference between a kid rated in the low 20s and someone in that top 5 elite group. Think it’s generous to call McMahon a top 30 pick on talent, I think most clubs would have him a lot lower than that just we wanted to take a tall and there wasn’t much left at that point.

Let's look at the great teams of recent years: Richmond had 2 top 5 kids in their team. Hawthorn 3 ( 4 when they had Ellis). Geelong -none. We;ve got JDG -5, Moore got a bid at 4, WHE was drafted 4 (no I'm not saying he's much chop) Daicos 4 - Pendles - 5. More top 5 kids than any of those teams. We need to find players at all ranges of the draft. Hopefully we found a couple tonight and one last night.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Let's look at the great teams of recent years: Richmond had 2 top 5 kids in their team. Hawthorn 3 ( 4 when they had Ellis). Geelong -none. We;ve got JDG -5, Moore got a bid at 4, WHE was drafted 4 (no I'm not saying he's much chop) Daicos 4 - Pendles - 5. More top 5 kids than any of those teams. We need to find players at all ranges of the draft. Hopefully we found a couple tonight and one last night.
Yep...we all hope/expect Daicos to be our next Pendlebury type talent to carry our midfield.

And yep, the good sides just continually manage to add good players every year...whether it be draft, free agents, trading, mature players, FS...

We have had more than our fair share of top 10 duds - Freeman, 'Berg, Egan, Cole, Roach...DeGoey and Moore whilst amazingly talented can't get on the park.

Moore was bid on at 6.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
He was bid on by Dogs at 9.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nah it was 6. The Dogs placed the bid before they traded it in the Boyd/ Griffen deal. The FS bid matching process back then was that you needed to match any bid with your next live pick and it was done pre trade period so you couldn’t then go and trade out all your quality picks. Heeney received a bid by Melbourne at 3, but the system back then allowed Sydney to match with 18.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Nah it was 6. The Dogs placed the bid before they traded it in the Boyd/ Griffen deal. The FS bid matching process back then was that you needed to match any bid with your next live pick and it was done pre trade period so you couldn’t then go and trade out all your quality picks. Heeney received a bid by Melbourne at 3, but the system back then allowed Sydney to match with 18.

The actual bid was pick5, as it was done before the FA compo gave Melbourne an extra pick...thus shuffling others back so come draft night it ended up being 6.

Moore valued as a pick5 by the Dogs

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Richmond had 2 top 5 kids in their team.
Richmond had three unless you’re not counting Prestia who was traded in

But I agree with your overall point

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood

Pendles will not be part of our next flag and is guiding the next group through not part of the rebuilt list in 3 years.
You only added him to boost your numbers.
I'd extend that to top 10 picks, top 5 being your absolute star types usually but elite talent in top 15 on ave.
Those ^^ teams fair far better when you do that but you do need 2 or 3 stars in that group of elites imo makes it much easier.

You also need to have bottomed in a draft that gives you a Hodge Martin Pettracca Franklin game changer instead of a Gibbs or Murphy type accumulator

Pendles will not be part of our next flag and is guiding the next group through not part of the rebuilt list in 3 years.
You only added him to boost your numbers.
I'd extend that to top 10 picks, top 5 being your absolute star types usually but elite talent in top 15 on ave.
Those ^^ teams fair far better when you do that but you do need 2 or 3 stars in that group of elites imo makes it much easier.

You also need to have bottomed in a draft that gives you a Hodge Martin Pettracca Franklin game changer instead of a Gibbs or Murphy type accumulator
You basically need a group that has been recruited, developed and coached extremely well. But yes, you're more likely to have them recruited well if a heap of top picks are at play.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Richmond had three unless you’re not counting Prestia who was traded in

But I agree with your overall point

Most teams need at least 2 stars and typically that gets found in the top 5, yes you can luck out outside that or be real unlucky and get a Watts or Murphy.

Geelong lucked out given they loaded up in one of the best drafts of all time and also had3 handy father sons in Scarlett, Gaz jnr and Hawkins. They also lucked out Hawkins draft by taking a top 3 slider in Selwood at 6 due to injury concern over his knee (degenerative).

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
You basically need a group that has been recruited, developed and coached extremely well. But yes, you're more likely to have them recruited well if a heap of top picks are at play.

You have much higher chances of landing a player capable of doing what Martin or Pettracca has with those high end top 5 picks.

Yes you need a good group of players from all ranges of the draft and great coaching/development but that is stating the obvious.

You seem to be arguing you dont need those gun impact players in your team and it may be possible but its a damn sight harder and typically outlier for the teams who fit that bill.

Last edited:
You have much higher chances of landing a player capable of doing what Martin or Pettracca has with those high end top 5 picks.

Yes you need a good group of players from all ranges of the draft and great coaching/development but that is stating the obvious.

You seem to be arguing you dont need those gun impact players in your team and it may be possible but its a damn sight harder and typically outlier for the teams who fit that bill.

My view is simply that the Premiers don't tend to have any more than the average number of top picks in their team. With the exception of Geelong, most teams have a few blokes who went really early and a group that went pretty early. Plus a group who were picked latish. Our biggest issue is depth, due to having so few decent players that were picked late. We've bombed out in the backend of the ND and rookie drafts over the last decade. We already have top picks in our team - as many as most of the finalists and are likely to acquire more during the next few years. But, yes we need some of them to be guns, which will be a combination of good recruiting, good coaching and luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back