No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #12 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Broke the agreement. Can’t be anymore factual.

Nope. The unwritten rule is that you don't pinch a player in the rookie draft with a slightly earlier pick than their current club. Once a player gets to the rookie draft in those circimstances, they're expecting to be back at the same club on day one of preseason, and drafting them against their will is a slap in the face to both them and their club.

The one who broke the agreement is Greenwood himself. All that needed to happen was him, or his management, to tell North he wasn't interested. Or he could have gone back to GC and said "Hey, North have just offered me a great deal, can we renegotiate terms".

North did nothing wrong here. GC ****ed up by getting cute with the list position of a player who clearly has a mercenary streak. And Greenwood did wrong by GC, especially given four days ago he was signalling to the world how happy he was to stay there.

30 at the start of next season and pretty banged up.
Easily replaceable player on less coin and younger via good scouting in the state leagues.

He's a much better and more important player than you're suggesting.

Broke the agreement. Can’t be anymore factual.

North didn't draft him and the Suns weren't putting him on their rookie list. He was going straight back onto the senior list.

They fell asleep at the wheel, and like the vast majority of people who do that, they paid the price for it.

30 at the start of next season and pretty banged up.
Easily replaceable player on less coin and younger via good scouting in the state leagues.
That's the issue though, they struggle to attract players. They had him, just needed to not mess him around. He is a tackling machine who wins hard ball. Not that easy to find.

I don’t see how they did anything wrong, if they did what every other club has done over and over again. Can’t agree. Sorry,

Over and over again? Maybe my memory is fading, but I can't remember the last time a club delisted a player with the promise to add them back onto their senior list straight away.

Regardless, how many clubs have played list spot roulette with one of their better players?

I don’t see how they did anything wrong, if they did what every other club has done over and over again. Can’t agree. Sorry,

Wrong may not be the best word here. Dumb is probably more accurate.

They delisted a player they really wanted to keep in an effort to game the minimum draft requirements. They either annoyed him enough through the process that he was happy to take another deal, or they just completely misread his commitment to the club and in doing so chose the wrong player to play that game with.

Edit: I'd say the same about us if LOB or Cotters took a deal elsewhere. But at the same time, perhaps there's a lesson in the fact that we elected to do it with two fringe players who are less likely to attract interest, and who both seem really invested in the club/team.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Were playing funnybuggers with Hugh Greenwood's contract; delisted him to rerookie him, only to have North swoop in with a 2 year deal yesterday before the draft.
Was it to re rookie or perhaps to redraft to meet obligations? No club makes an indispensable player available to others as a rule. Might create a bit of a precedent, opening the way if anyone has possible designs on a player in the future.

Was it to re rookie or perhaps to redraft to meet obligations? No club makes an indispensable player available to others as a rule. Might create a bit of a precedent, opening the way if anyone has possible designs on a player in the future.
It's only a bit of a concern only if you have a player who is somewhat mercenary (or their pay is more of a concern to them than it otherwise might be; we probably need to realise that at least some of the time the players at the bottom end of things are the ones that truly need to maximise their earnings whilst playing, as their names are not going to be recognisable in 5-10 years time enough to get a post footy media gig) and whose relationship with you is not close (as in, if someone comes in and offers more than you have, they'll let you know and ask you to match, give you the opportunity instead of just swooping on it).

It's not a hug(h)e deal, if only because it's put a signpost on what can be done if someone takes their eye off what they're doing.

So according to Greenwood and GC, he did go back to them after North made him an offer, and took the deal with their blessing.

Seems they're simply not that desperate to keep him. While I'm sure they would have preferred to get something back in a trade instead, any deal may not have given them much of worth given the strength of their draft hand anyway.

Goes to show, it never hurts to ask the question. North Melbourne asked, and got a freebie. And a handy one who will help solidify their midfield for the next few years of their rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back