Cricket Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

If Paine retains his spot for the Ashes (and I believe he will), it will be very interesting to see what the Barmy Army has in store for him.
I have a feeling they are going to rip into him bigtime and there may be more entertainment off field than on.
You gotta do something in quarantine. They will have 3 or 4 songs ready for him. How smutty they get will be interesting. It will be rough on him, but it will be a laugh. They didn't back down on Ponting and Johnson who both admit it got to him.

Ponting did remember all the words to the Mark Waugh song.

You gotta do something in quarantine. They will have 3 or 4 songs ready for him. How smutty they get will be interesting. It will be rough on him, but it will be a laugh. They didn't back down on Ponting and Johnson who both admit it got to him.

Ponting did remember all the words to the Mark Waugh song.

My enduring favourite remains the time the Barmy Army picked on Murali in Sri Lanka:

Bowl, bowl, bowl the ball
Gently down the seam
Murali, Murali, Murali, Murali
Chucks it like a dream

Throw, throw, throw the ball
Gently through the air
Murali, Murali, Murali, Murali
Here comes Darryl Hair

NO BALL!!!

If Paine retains his spot for the Ashes (and I believe he will), it will be very interesting to see what the Barmy Army has in store for him.
I have a feeling they are going to rip into him bigtime and there may be more entertainment off field than on.

The group had already prepared chants based on Paine’s batting efforts, and lack of a Test century, but Gallantree said the latest scandal had presented them with some fresh ideas.

“We had about five versions of the song the day the scandal broke,’” Gallantree said.

“We will be singing Jerusalem on the first morning and we will have a trumpeter on hand. We will also sing a special song for Tim and we will have other songs.”

The supporters have penned a parody song about Paine’s sexting scandal to the tune of My Old Man’s a Dustman, and are still deciding over a number of different versions of X-rated lyrics including “Tim Paine was your captain and he had a mobile phone.” The lyrics even reference Shane Warne, who endured a number of scandals throughout his career.

NEW TIM PAINE BARMY ARMY CHANTS

Tim Paine to the tune of My Old Man’s A Dustman by Lonnie Donegan

Tim Paine was your captain

He had a mobile phone

Advice came in from Warnie

Send a picture of your bone

Tim Paine to the tune of I’m Gonna Be by the Proclaimers

When you go out, when you go out to the crease

You know that Anderson is waiting there for you

So you’ll get out, and you’ll get our really cheaply

Yeah, it’s just a simple fact that is what you’ll do

And-a he won’t make a hundred runs,

Oh no, he won’t post a hundred score

Because he’s the man who’s captaincy

And batting is just really poor...

Last edited:
White ball cricket, but Alex Carey scored a ton against Queensland today - Redbacks had an opening partnership of 159 before being bowled out for 274 in the 48th over.

That is about all the selectors have to go on with this diabolical programming. Australia's pace attack has not played a red ball game for over 6months!!! Australia A will play someone somewhere today in a 3 day game so maybe Carey and Head will get another chance to impress. I am not sure why it could not have been a 4 day game.

White ball cricket, but Alex Carey scored a ton against Queensland today - Redbacks had an opening partnership of 159 before being bowled out for 274 in the 48th over.
After an opening stand of 159, you'd think a team could bat out their 50 overs. Not this mob - all out with 17 balls remaining, including the 6 wickets for 9 runs.

After an opening stand of 159, you'd think a team could bat out their 50 overs. Not this mob - all out with 17 balls remaining, including the 6 wickets for 9 runs.

Now you have got me going Phil. I can understand the frustration...

The current Deadbacks outfit are probably the most unreliable sporting team ever to represent SA. The SACA will not reform despite commissioning 'in depth' reviews that recommend exactly that.

In 2020 Michael Hussey lead a report into the State of SA cricket. Mr Cricket basically pointed at issues that have been known for a long time. Most notable was the standard of grass roots cricket in South Australia specificaly the SA Grade Cricket competition. This is what Mike Hussey said in the introduction to his report

Premier Cricket is a crucial part of the pathway, which firstly needs to be acknowledged, then respected. Changes will need to be made to ensure a higher quality competition that provides tough, competitive cricket and in doing so, breeds players capable of performing at the next level and beyond. Changes in the number of teams in the competition and a better relationship with SACA HP should be adopted. I appreciate that this is not a simple process but this is required if the Board wants sustainable success.

In the body of the report Michael Hussey recommends, among other things,

2. (b) Reduce the number of Premier Cricket teams to between 8 - 10 and remove the bye. This decision to be made by the clubs.

Michael Hussey alludes to the fact that to reform the District or Grade competition the clubs have to agree to mergers and none of the clubs want to vote themselves out of existence. When the question does arise it is always the western side of town that is lined up for the chop. East Torrens, Sturt, Kensington, University, Adelaide and even Tea Tree Gully escape scrutiny. University is an anacrinism as last time I looked it had no junior teams and it's involvement in junior programmes is debateable. It could easily disappear as could East Torrens and Adelaide. If reform means that clkubs like Port adelaide and woodville have to merge so be it but apply the same deal to the east as well and merge East Torrens and Kensington. Over the years the only changes to the local format have been the addition of clubs we did not need in the first place and a change of name from District to Grade clubs.

I realise it is a tired old argument but until someone in the SACA finds a way around the impasse the prevents progress we are in for of the same.

I wonder how long it will be before Dizzy Gillespie gets tired of it all and decides to bugger off.

Last edited:
Would a player draft help improve the situation as per AFL? I know GCS are perennial laggards but it is at least an attempt to disperse talent for a tighter competition.

Among other thoughts I have discounted are placing a run handicap on teams based on previous season results. Yeah....nah

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would a player draft help improve the situation as per AFL? I know GCS are perennial laggards but it is at least an attempt to disperse talent for a tighter competition.

Among other thoughts I have discounted are placing a run handicap on teams based on previous season results. Yeah....nah

You need a concentration of talent in the Grade competition. If you have 10 sides that is only 120 players playing each week in the Premier comp. as opposed to the 156 who are currently available each week. This should promote a higher standard of competition as only the best 120 in the State get a game. As it stands there are currently 13 clubs in the Premier comp with a bye each week. If you have just 10 clubs as Mike Hussey suggests you eliminate the bye and at the same time concentrate the best players over the 10 clubs. A draft would even out the competition among clubs but you have to get the mix right first.

Was bad light pollution enabled?

Wouldn't help - maybe that's why they have these hours of play:

Hours of play (local time)9:30 am start, Lunch 11.30-12.10, Tea 14.14-14.34, Close 16.34

They only lost about two overs in the end.

Was this the first scoop shot caught on video?

If it was prior to 2002, possibly..?

Obviously not on video - but indigenous Australian player Johnny Mullagh, who toured England in 1868, is on record for playing a similar shot: "Dropping on one knee to a fast rising ball, he would hold his bat over his shoulder and parallel to the ground. The ball would touch the blade, and shoot high over the wicket-keeper's head to the boundary."

If it was prior to 2002, possibly..?

Obviously not on video - but indigenous Australian player Johnny Mullagh, who toured England in 1868, is on record for playing a similar shot: "Dropping on one knee to a fast rising ball, he would hold his bat over his shoulder and parallel to the ground. The ball would touch the blade, and shoot high over the wicket-keeper's head to the boundary."
Its from 1994-95 ODIs Australia vs Australia A.

On Nine the other morning they were reporting that the Barmy Army had over 30 different chants and songs ready to go.

Candice Warner on TEN this arvo questioning why it was not alright for a Captain to sext someone yet it is OK for a player to do it. She has a point.
They always turn up with a song book with over 30 songs, then proceed to give us 7 hours a day of 'Everywhere we go/barmy army! Barmy army!' on constant repeat.

I expect this tour to be exactly the same. They're tedious

They always turn up with a song book with over 30 songs, then proceed to give us 7 hours a day of 'Everywhere we go/barmy army! Barmy army!' on constant repeat.

I expect this tour to be exactly the same. They're tedious

Yep, about 10 years ago I asked one of my Pommy mates about this (he was a regular Barmy Army member back then) he said the sheets for the new songs, included in their supporter packs, would disappear coinciding with the amount of alcohol consumed during the day - so by mid afternoon they would have to resort to the traditional songs they all know.
When I suggested why didn't they start with the old songs in the 1st session and then hand out the new one's to sing after lunch - apparently no one had thought of that..? Pommy gits; 'barmy-army, barmy-army, barmy-army..!'

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back