Analysis 2021 Draft (National Draft x 2 nights, Rookie Draft, Pre-Season Draft)

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
If Arlo Draper or Zac Taylor were to be there at our pick, I'd select either in preference to Josh. A subsequent bid on Fahey could almost be covered by pick #63, and still within our list spots to take 5 lads at the ND. And if he went unbid, we'd have our 3 plus Fahey would be an automatic rookie listing.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
1637833563804.png

Hmmm, interesting.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
What’s our next pick after we matched?
Not sure. The BF spreadsheet seems to have removed all of our picks except #89, which isn't right.

The bid at #42 needed 198 points to match, and we had #47 which was 316 points, so we should have a surplus of 118 points, which would be #63. We previously had #63 - so we should still have a pick at that point (even if one disappears because we only have the one list spot remaining).so we should have two picks at that point (because we've actually got two list spots remaining!).

Taylor Moss

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Not sure. The BF spreadsheet seems to have removed all of our picks except #89, which isn't right.

The bid at #42 needed 198 points to match, and we had #47 which was 316 points, so we should have a surplus of 118 points, which would be #63. We previously had #63 - so we should still have a pick at that point (even if one disappears because we only have the one list spot remaining).
Ahh cheers

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
There's still a couple of guys that might be worth considering - Cooper Murley and Lachlan Rankin. And of course we were linked to Luke Nankervis as well. All small or medium forward options that could add to our list.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
How about Dean as a mature agent?
Do we need another KPD? I'd have said we're OK having picked up Leek Aleer - I'd only consider picking up another KPD in the PSSP to cover the two LTIs as a short-term measure.

As per my suggestions, I'd only look at a small forward. But we might prefer to pick up either Harrison Grintell from our academy as a rookie, or a retread player such as Michael Gibbons or Jack Lonie.

Anyway, I do expect we'll pass and take two picks to the rookie draft, 1 live selection and the other being Wehr.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
And pass it is.

Well, that's our haul for 2021 national draft:

#3 - Finn Callaghan - inside/outside midfielder
#15 - Leek Aleer - intercepting key defender
#42 - Josh Fahey - long-kicking running defender

I think they complement our team very well. The running capacity from the flanks of our team in the near-term will be great - Whitfield, Fahey, Ash, Cumming, Callaghan; with some of them really accurate kickers too.

I think we select a small or medium forward of some ilk in the rookie draft tomorrow.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Anyone have a preferance for which small forward we should go after tomorrow?
Not a huge preference, no.

Ronald Fejo jnr, though more an outside mid than a small forward, would be one I'd be happy to draft. Harrison Grintell as an academy kid would be OK too - always like to support the academy and show the kids that there is a way into the team. Of the experienced players, I'd probably prefer Michael Gibbons to Jack Lonie, even though the former is probably more of a small-statured midfielder than a small forward.

There's probably one or two others when I take the time to think about it.

Back