Game Day 2021 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Glass half full approach:

Stephens, Campbell, Corey Warner and Roberts all make names for themselves on the wing or flanks.
We turn one of the young mids/wingers into a small defender ala Cunners/Nick Smith.

You're right - I see the pain is obviously when Rampe goes, and then Buddy/Hickey/Reid are gone, we just have to hope that at least one or both of McLean or Amartey make it (still not a given) and at least two of the untried Paddy, BOC, Gould make it (even less of a given).

Or we trade a player in? We're allowed to do that again now aren't we?

Or we trade a player in? We're allowed to do that again now aren't we?
I've said before, it's harder for us now. Any decently rated prospect is either going to have to specifically pick us, or we're going to have to compete with a bunch of other clubs that can offer the same money and better living standards, or less money for the same. I don't think we can rely on filling list gaps with trading anymore.

Sorry Jewels. I will never agree with their decision to trade Hewett, and this draft just makes it even worse in my opinion.

Should note that this is nothing against the three we've drafted at all. I especially like the look of Sheldrick.
He was a free agent. Missed an entire season in 2020 with a back injury and Carlton offered him 4 years.
I would have liked to have kept him and loved him as a player but sometimes you need to manage your list

2 sets of brothers on the same team, has that ever happened before ?
Not sure if the Viney and Febey brothers ever played in the same game (Dees), but years overlap I think.

Kellaway, Bowden brothers for the Tigers? 8 or so year difference in oldest to youngest.

Maybe the Jones and Selwood brothers for the Eagles?

He was a free agent. Missed an entire season in 2020 with a back injury and Carlton offered him 4 years.
I would have liked to have kept him and loved him as a player but sometimes you need to manage your list

Would've been one of the last ones I'd let go of.

Hewitt was the last ranked midfielder in the senior side so much so the club resorted to playing him in defence when all our midfielders were available. You don’t sign a player like that for the amount of money he was offered for 4 years and don’t expect to lose other more important players as a result. 2 years is the most you can stretch it to without it hurting and as he was a free agent that decision was taken out of our hands by Carlton.

But we get it you would rather we tied up a significant amount of our salary cap in our last ranked midfielder in the senior side above all else.
Spot on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure, that's a fair point, though Stephens' "talent" was supposed to shine through too.

I just think good luck to Sheldrick and Roberts displacing any of JPK, Parker, Mills, Rowbottom and Chad.

And that's assuming that we aren't gonna run the versatile guys like Heeney and Gulden through the inside next year either...
Looking at Sheldrick , if either of JPK or Parker are missing, he could step in during his first year and do VERY well indeed. The in-and-unders AND a burst of speed. Roberts - yeah will take a while longer is my initial impression. Not sure what his position is as I've only seen those few glimpses of video. Really does remind me of Dean Towers.

Have we made a conscious decision to go for tough kids after drafting a lot of first round "developing bodies" previously? Seems that way.

I'm a little surprised with all the talk about how we now have too many mids and they can't all play next year.
Well, obviously, they won't all play next year.
The reality is that very few draftees, other than the top few, play regularly the following year unless they have been drafted to a basket case of a club or there are numerous injuries.
Many draftees need to serve a longer apprenticeship in the seconds than others and it may well be that we won't see the benefit of this year's draft till 2023-4.
Just because they have been recruited as mids doesn't mean that that is where they will play with us. Both Heeney and Mills were drafted as gun mids and where did they start playing with us? Certainly not in the midfield.
I'm happy that we didn't draft a KPD who was a middle placed draftee meaning that he would be a greater chance of failure rather than success. The recruiting guys are well aware that there is a far greater chance of drafting a successful KPD next year rather than going for a hail Mary this year.

Kinda crazy draft from us tbh.

Did not have any of these blokes even remotely near our picks, except maybe Corey.

I think Sheldrick will debut next year, but I don't see any of the other blokes getting a look in.

Further, I think we'll probably have to wait a year or 2 to see most of them even debut, let alone solidfy a spot.

Would be cool to be proven wrong though.

Looking at Sheldrick , if either of JPK or Parker are missing, he could step in during his first year and do VERY well indeed. The in-and-unders AND a burst of speed. Roberts - yeah will take a while longer is my initial impression. Not sure what his position is as I've only seen those few glimpses of video. Really does remind me of Dean Towers.

Have we made a conscious decision to go for tough kids after drafting a lot of first round "developing bodies" previously? Seems that way.

If JPK or Parker are missing then sure. But it also relies on Horse not planning on using guys like Heeney, Florent, Gulden and Campbell on the inside too.

If JPK or Parker are missing then sure. But it also relies on Horse not planning on using guys like Heeney, Florent, Gulden and Campbell on the inside too.
Campbell on the inside? The only inside he is seeing in the inside of a library if Chad and Sheldrick are around. But sure, it would rely on that and be dependent on Sheldrick looking robust at training the way Chad attacked his first year - no prisoners. Looks up for it tbh. JPK might not want a miss a game with Chad and Sheldrick coming on. As good as JPK is at getting his hands on the pill, we might just function better with the added speed away from (and chasing) the contest at centre bounces especially.

I am going to balance out this frustration with a bit of pragmatism.

We were operating under the assumption that guys like Gulden and Campbell would be key parts of our midfield in the future. Perhaps the club doesn't want that. Maybe they would like them to be nothing more than X-factor bit-players in the midfield, and to be able to use their strengths (elite ball use, outside run and carry) in areas outside of the midfield. This would be very understandable, as if you have a group of mids who can be strong and hard and clean and be in the midfield full-time with the luxury of not needing the Gulden/Campbell types in there, that is one helluva luxury.

That would be my hope out of this.
I doubt we expect all of these to work out, nor all our existing mids to reach the peak we would like. Stephens already under the pump. Wants to play inside and we just bought two who look potentially better. Florent on a wing and we just bought a winger who might be better in 12 months plus Campbell.
All generating a lot of competition at the selection table over the next few years.
Some will trade out for sure.
Dalrymple all over this.

I think maybe we don't see Heeney, Florent, Gulden, and Campbell as extractors. To be honest, Sheldrick compliments a lot of our young mids very well.

What's confusing is that Rowbottom and Warner already kinda fill that hole, not even getting to Hewett who we let go.

I'm assuming that we've just taken the best available, and even though it looks non-sensical to us, it was never about filling a need, but about taking the players we thought had the biggest upside.

I realise drafting is usually a very imprecise science, and none of these blokes are guarantees, but I, like every Swans supporter, am looking forward to them making their debuts.

Kinda crazy draft from us tbh.

Did not have any of these blokes even remotely near our picks, except maybe Corey.

I think Sheldrick will debut next year, but I don't see any of the other blokes getting a look in.

Further, I think we'll probably have to wait a year or 2 to see most of them even debut, let alone solidfy a spot.

Would be cool to be proven wrong though.
Learn their craft like everybody else.

People get obsessed on players making their debut in their first year and if they don't they're a bust. We've had more than our fair share of players who have paid their dues before getting into best 22.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

Learn their craft like everybody else.

People get obsessed on players making their debut in their first year and if they don't they're a bust. We've had more than our fair share of players who have paid their dues before getting into best 22.

And there's nothing wrong with that.
Yeah, I'm not worried for them, just not expecting the rediculous 2020 draft, or the equally pleasing 2018.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back