Prediction 2022 Best 22 Teams and discussion

Mags98

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
One of the questions of the year surrounds Walters. Before anyone gets cranky - yes he has been a great player.

There are a couple of huge things we need answered and to understand so we can mange the list well:

1 - was last season due to a poor preseason?
2 - was last season the beginning of a sharp decline?
3 - was it due to a poor preseason but we can expect him to be better this year.
4 - due to poor preseason, he will improve but slowly decline.
5 - is he no longer a fwd / mid? Is he now a Mid who can go fwd?

IMO there were groups of games where he was very poor. Sometimes players who have reached his levels decline and we can be harsh on their performance even though what they produce is better than most. Last season, due to injuries I am not sure we had a better option. He finished the season in the 22 so unless he is horrible during preseason he should be in the 22. Having said that on form for small/mid sized forwards he was probably equal 4th on performance.

If his best position is as a mid, then I am not sure he goes higher in the pecking order. He could play Cerra's role (cover), but that would possibly be at the expense of the top ten pick midfielder we bring in.

If we are going to contest for finals this season I don't think we can try to play him into form. Are people here backing him as a B22 lock up forward?
needs to play moslty mid for mine, gives us that class we lose with cerra and can hopefully milk a few frees which we lack in the guts tbh

Michael Walters is already marked. He could play a whole season and never once make the most of a high contact, or in anyway play for a free and umpires will be biased towards not paying it to him.

We would need to kick up a stink in the AFL media about how Walters hasn't played for a free all season and has had his head taken off with no whistle multiple times.

Hopefully right before a big important game that we probably won't win but it gets the attention onto that, we get a few free kicks inside fifty and Son Son goes bang.

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Unless injury prevents it, he starts. Interestingly I thought his last game this season when he got injured was his best effort game, but things didn’t go right for him on the day.
If he brings that effort week in week out, I’d back him to get back to his best.

Agreed on both points. His last game was his best effort of the year. Thankfully going by insta yesterday he is looking in much better shape this off season.

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
needs to play moslty mid for mine, gives us that class we lose with cerra and can hopefully milk a few frees which we lack in the guts tbh

I agree apart from one issue. Early in games against better teams when the heat is on, he tends to try to do too much and turn it over. If that can be be eliminated he will be an A grader again... given he is fit.

SiempreFreo

All Australian
Sep 29, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
In part, it's the balance, chemistry, synergy, continuity, confidence between players isn't it? You'd hope as the battle hardness of the likes of Serong, Brayshaw, Sean D, Young, Walker increases, Sonny can trust in their game more and get the most out of his....

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
One of the questions of the year surrounds Walters. Before anyone gets cranky - yes he has been a great player.

There are a couple of huge things we need answered and to understand so we can mange the list well:

1 - was last season due to a poor preseason?
2 - was last season the beginning of a sharp decline?
3 - was it due to a poor preseason but we can expect him to be better this year.
4 - due to poor preseason, he will improve but slowly decline.
5 - is he no longer a fwd / mid? Is he now a Mid who can go fwd?

IMO there were groups of games where he was very poor. Sometimes players who have reached his levels decline and we can be harsh on their performance even though what they produce is better than most. Last season, due to injuries I am not sure we had a better option. He finished the season in the 22 so unless he is horrible during preseason he should be in the 22. Having said that on form for small/mid sized forwards he was probably equal 4th on performance.

If his best position is as a mid, then I am not sure he goes higher in the pecking order. He could play Cerra's role (cover), but that would possibly be at the expense of the top ten pick midfielder we bring in.

If we are going to contest for finals this season I don't think we can try to play him into form. Are people here backing him as a B22 lock up forward?
Good summary poshman. I think the poor preseason had a significant part to do with his relatively poor season. But I also fear he's going to fall off the cliff faster than we had all hoped.

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Good summary poshman. I think the poor preseason had a significant part to do with his relatively poor season. But I also fear he's going to fall off the cliff faster than we had all hoped.

That is where I am at - I hope I am wrong as our next finals push should be over the coming few years. It would be sad to see him miss our window.

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
There's a bit of talent on the park ladies and gentlemen.

Ryan Pearce Logue
Clark Cox Young
Freddy Fyfe Aish
Erasmus Tabs Switta
Sturt Amiss Walters.

Darcy Brayshaw Serong.

Bench: Johnson, Walker, Mundy, Lobb,

Apologies: Chapman, Tucker, Colyer, Shultz, Hamling.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
There's a bit of talent on the park ladies and gentlemen.

Ryan Pearce Logue
Clark Cox Young
Freddy Fyfe Aish
Erasmus Tabs Switta
Sturt Amiss Walters.

Darcy Brayshaw Serong.

Bench: Johnson, Walker, Mundy, Lobb,

Apologies: Chapman, Tucker, Colyer, Shultz, Hamling.
Wouldn't mind squeezing Treacy in.

Freoforever86

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
FB - Ryan Cox Logue
CHB - Young Pearce Clark
C - Freddie Fyfe Aish
CHF - Walters Tabs Brodie
FF - Lobb Treacy Shultz
R - Darcy Serong Brayshaw
Int - Mundy Tucker Chapman Erasmus
Sub - Colyer (all year - speed and impact)

Sturt & Hamling to get fitness and form at Peel then press
Henry & Walker unlucky but get time to develop more, though could see one of them play wing over Freddie. Switta also unlucky, but we don’t need so many smalls.

Wilson & Acres done

Amiss to get feet wet in the seniors.
same with Johnson or whoever pick 21 is

_007_

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
FB: Ryan Pearce Logue
HB: Young Cox Chapman
C: Clark Brayshaw Walker
HF: Sturt Lobb Erasmus
FF: Amiss Tabs Switkowski

R: Darcy Fyfe Serong

I: Mundy Tucker Treacy Aish

So far...

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah, Erasmus is the one that plays early next year for me. He’s already a ******* unit and that SA build and heritage will probably mean he can just pile on muscle quick. I can see him being best 22 pretty quickly
I agree. He will be competing with Sturt for that HFF role initially

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Jye has had a pretty rapid rise in the last 3 years, I can see him playing next year. The only thing holding him back will be a self belief as he will be a little bit star struck when he first joins the group.

25 and Under. Very exciting future

Ryan Logue Young
Clark Cox Walker
Freddy Johnson Tucker
Darcy Serong Brayshaw
Sturt Treacy Erasmus
Schultz Amiss Henry
Brodie Meek Valente Chapman

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
25 and Under. Very exciting future

Ryan Logue Young
Clark Cox Walker
Freddy Johnson* Tucker
Darcy Serong Brayshaw
Sturt Treacy Erasmus
Schultz Amiss Henry
Brodie
Meek Valente Chapman
Bolded are top 10 picks. italic first round.

That's exciting considering the other upcoming stars in that list (Darcy, Ryan, Cox, Treacy etc).

*Should have been top 10. Don't @ me.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
Best 22:
Ryan A.Pearce Logue
Clark Cox Aish
Brayshaw Mundy Frederick
Switta Treacy Walters
Schultz Taberner Amiss
Darcy Fyfe Serong
Int: Lobb Walker Colyer Tucker

Next:
Kelm Hamling Hughes
Wilson Chapman O’Driscoll
Acres Johnson Erasmus
Banfield ?????? Crowden
Sturt Benning Henry
Meek Brodie Blakeley
Int: Western ????? ????? ?????

Feel like I’ve forgotten someone…

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's really starting to take shape.

B: Logue - Cox - Ryan
HB: Clarke - Pearce - Walker
C: Young - Brayshaw - Tucker
HF: Fyfe - Treacy - Sturt
FF: Schultz - Tabs - Lobb
Ruc: Darcy - Brodie - Serong

Bench: Mundy- Aish - Fredrick - Chapman - Walters - Wilson - Erasmus - Johnson - Henry - Hamling - Amiss

kp junior

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
Ryan Hamling Cox
Young Pearce Logue
Clark Brayshaw Walker
Erasmus Tabs Walters