List Mgmt. Carlton Draft 2021

Thoughts:

- Welcome to Carlton, Jesse Motlop. Was not my preferred option but he's a good footballer and seems a fantastic kid. Get around him.

- Smart trade. Not sure why people are confused. We traded a pick we weren't going to use, for an extra pick in next year's draft which we're keen on. The pick won't be a high one, but it gives us more ammunition and extra flexibility.

- Two spots left to fill. We've committed to LOB and Cottrell, so that'll be what we see eventuate unless another club trumps us (very unlikely) or we decide to hold one over until the SSP (also unlikely).

- Welcome to Carlton Dom Akuei, who will now join us as a Cat B rookie.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
So we passed, I'm confused. I thought we needed to use picks to promote players?
It is confusing. Some years they included the upgrades to be listed as actual draft picks.
Not this year apparently.
Must be updated to just pass on your pick and upgrades listed off the draft picks, which they should have always done.

Website updated now:

CARLTON has upgraded rookies Matthew Kennedy and Josh Honey to its senior list.

Rewarded for their form shown in the back-end of the 2021 season, the two upgraded rookies join new Blue Jesse Motlop as Carlton’s three live selections on the night of the 2021 NAB AFL Draft.

Moved to the rookie list this time 12 months ago, Kennedy seized his opportunity this season, proving his wares as a big-bodied inside midfielder.

So we passed, I'm confused. I thought we needed to use picks to promote players?
It is confusing. Some years they included the upgrades to be listed as actual draft picks.
Not this year apparently.
Must be updated to just pass on your pick and upgrades listed off the draft picks, which they should have always done.

Rookie upgrades have not been done via the draft for quite a few years now.

carlton_99

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal & NY Knicks
Not really. Means we could pick Schlensog or Polson or Dean, which would suit our needs better anyway.
I think its true with Cottrel, but I still think O'Brien is a need. Yes he hasn't reached what we all hoped but he hasn't been given a consistent run and we lack genuine wingers. His kicking is elite and I just can't deal with Newnes being our winger in 2022

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
Thoughts:

- Welcome to Carlton, Jesse Motlop. Was not my preferred option but he's a good footballer and seems a fantastic kid. Get around him.

- Smart trade. Not sure why people are confused. We traded a pick we weren't going to use, for an extra pick in next year's draft which we're keen on. The pick won't be a high one, but it gives us more ammunition and extra flexibility.

- Two spots left to fill. We've committed to LOB and Cottrell, so that'll be what we see eventuate unless another club trumps us (very unlikely) or we decide to hold one over until the SSP (also unlikely).

Agree it was a smart trade at the time, but port played us like a fiddle.

We got their future 4th for a pick in the 50s which they used. But then they traded their pick in the 60s for West Coast's future 4th. Effectively improving their hand in both drafts unless they fall off a cliff.

We got their future 4th for a pick in the 50s which they used. But then they traded their pick in the 60s for West Coast's future 4th. Effectively improving their hand in both drafts unless they fall off a cliff.

I don't really care what Port did with another club. I'm not sure why it matters to us.

We traded a pick we weren't using for a pick next year. There's nothing wrong with that, it makes perfect sense.

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I don't really care what Port did with another club. I'm not sure why it matters to us.

We traded a pick we weren't using for a pick next year. There's nothing wrong with that, it makes perfect sense.
Well I think we should be asking if we were in discussions with West Coast? We did them a pretty good deal for SPS, so why weren't they in the frame to pick up our second pick for their future 4th which will almost be guaranteed to be a better pick than Port Adelaide's future 4th.

Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton

WCE are the ones that got screwed there, not us. Effectively gave away their 4th for nothing - they ended up with the next pick anyway.

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
WCE are the ones that got screwed there, not us. Effectively gave away their 4th for nothing - they ended up with the next pick anyway.
To be clear, I'm not saying we got screwed, I'm just challenging whether we were discussing the possibility with West Coast.

Maverick000

Rookie
Sep 12, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Thoughts:

Three spots left to fill. LOB, Cottrell and Jones’
replacement through the SSP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick000

Rookie
Sep 12, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
To be clear, I'm not saying we got screwed, I'm just challenging whether we were discussing the possibility with West Coast.

My thoughts too but it’s probably just that they don’t do as much of a wide canvass to all clubs for a 4th rounder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjonc43

Premium Platinum
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Rookie upgrades have not been done via the draft for quite a few years now.

That’s the memo I missed. Makes sense, except that we traded one of those live picks? Why have the locks in the first place?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Well I think we should be asking if we were in discussions with West Coast? We did them a pretty good deal for SPS, so why weren't they in the frame to pick up our second pick for their future 4th which will almost be guaranteed to be a better pick than Port Adelaide's future 4th.

Not sure we need to haggle over a future 4th. See who is interested in the pick and move on. Given the fluidity of draft picks these days it's almost certain not to be ours when that pick comes around anyway.

Apologies if this is a dumb question or if it's already been answered but do we now want/have to pick up a player in the SSP to replace Jones' spot on the list?

We don't have to replace him, but I dare say we'll want to.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Gave up a Brownlow medalist?
Turned effectively a late 3rd round selection into a late future 4th. I still don't understand how we could book out or list before the draft is even run.

Was probably the weakest such trade of all that followed it, and we did it almost a full round before we needed to...

AT97

Club Legend
Jul 20, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton

Carlton will finalise its list tomorrow in the NAB AFL Rookie Draft.

Apologies if this has been answered before but, does this indicate that the Jones replacement will be made tomorrow with the rookie draft?

Turned effectively a late 3rd round selection into a late future 4th. I still don't understand how we could book out or list before the draft is even run.

Was probably the weakest such trade of all that followed it, and we did it almost a full round before we needed to...

We were never going to use the pick.

We traded nothing for something.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Great stuff.

At start of tonight i was secretly hoping for one of Sonsie, Taylor or Motlop. Thought they were the right players for us and for what Austin and the club wanted.

I'm just getting to the board now so i'm about 12 pages behind lol. I presume it's been mentioned but Nick Austin looked extremely relieved in his body language after the pick. Unless he is Robert DeNiro, i think he got his man.

Maybe he had McDonald up there too, but it really looked like mission accomplished.

Highlight of the night was Dodo chucking his texta on the desk after a team traded up under his nose to get his player for the 2nd time this draft. LOL

Thoughts:

Pretty sure we can still replace Jones in the SSP.

jackn

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2006
aus
AFL Club
Carlton

Carlton will finalise its list tomorrow in the NAB AFL Rookie Draft.

Apologies if this has been answered before but, does this indicate that the Jones replacement will be made tomorrow with the rookie draft?
We’ll probably have some potentials come train with us, then pick up the one we like best during the ssp. Last year we had 4 including oMac and Crocker and went with omac, would expect something similar this year.

We weren’t allowed to replace Jones until the supplementary selection period so no draft or rookie draft replacement.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah, forgot about the Jones situation. That'll be much later down the track I would think.
It will be interesting to see who we invite to train with the club with a view to filling Jones' spot. Be a good opportunity to have a look at Charlie Dean if he doesn't get drafted tomorrow.

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Who does Motlop play like?

68ABD8AA-A4B9-4786-9B5C-5A524C159CA5.gif

Back