Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the consensus on his speed fellas?

Good without being elite.
That's over shorter distances though.

Looks like a 200m gut runner who will burn the opposition through sheer will.

That's where the Sam Walsh comparisons come in. Rory Sloane and Zach Merrett have also been mentioned. Three guys who aren't lightening but you rarely see them caught with the footy.

I was thinking Andrew McGrath.

Ash Browne on Hawks Insiders tonight said that he spoke to Josh today and asked him how much of a fan he was out of "1-10", and Josh said "10".

He tried to play down his love for his club of support, as most top age potential draftees are told to, but apparently Ward struggled with it, because he loves Hawthorn so much.

😍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ash Browne on Hawks Insiders tonight said that he spoke to Josh today and asked him how much of a fan he was out of "1-10", and Josh said "10".

He tried to play down his love for his club of support, as most top age potential draftees are told to, but Ward said that he struggled with it, because he loves Hawthorn so much.

😍
Sure knows how to make a good first impression!

He tried to play down his love for his club of support, as most top age potential draftees are told to, but apparently Ward struggled with it, because he loves Hawthorn so much.

😍

Captain in the future, bookmark it.

Who do we all compare him to? (current or past i dont mind).
Rory Sloane
Zach Merrett
Luke Power
Sam Walsh

They're the names being thrown about as similar types. Real workhorses.

Who do we all compare him to? (current or past i dont mind).
It’s not perfect but I’m sticking with Walsh

Inside and outside game, elite tank that can burn off his opponent with gut running. Good and tidy skills although probably not lethal by foot.

Don’t mind the Merrett comparison either

Rory Sloane
Zach Merrett
Luke Power
Sam Walsh

Good comparisons but I reckon Sam Walsh is bit more than a workhorse. Walsh is an absolute gun.

Would love him to be as good as Walsh for the Hawks (that's a huge ask I know)

Rory Sloane
Zach Merrett
Luke Power
Sam Walsh

Agree, I see alot of

Sloane but probably more athletic in his running both endurance and speed, bit more burst (Prime Sloane) but as a draftee.

Merrett maybe more inside

Power i've seen a little of, clearly didn't see alot of his prime more the backend of his career but still a pretty decent comparison.

Walsh is the big one too, thats what i see.

I was surprised to see that Walsh only ran a 6:06 in his draft year in the 2km. The thing is he just keeps going at top speed all day. I think Ward will be similar to Walsh in that gut forward and defensive running but not on his level yet. I don't see their similarities inside the contest. Walsh is like a more dynamic Trent cotchin. Ward is maybe like a Merret but nowhere near that level of polish by foot and no where near his speed, Merret is legit quick. Maybe a more grunt version of Merrett. You know, runs harder for longer, but isn't as quick and doesn't kick it as nicely.

No player comp is ever perfect.

I was surprised to see that Walsh only ran a 6:06 in his draft year in the 2km. The thing is he just keeps going at top speed all day. I think Ward will be similar to Walsh in that gut forward and defensive running but not on his level yet. I don't see their similarities inside the contest. Walsh is like a more dynamic Trent cotchin. Ward is maybe like a Merret but nowhere near that level of polish by foot and no where near his speed, Merret is legit quick. Maybe a more grunt version of Merrett. You know, runs harder for longer, but isn't as quick and doesn't kick it as nicely.

No player comp is ever perfect.
Oooo idk, i think kicking is deadset so similar with Merrett and Ward, the style and all. Merrett is quicker but even then i feel since last year Ward has gotten quicker and will, he'll push that level on the outside truly believe that. His gut running is Walsh esque, so similar to Walsh as an overall player aswell.

His inside game isn't at the level of Walsh's now but it is similar to what he was in his first year. Better than Merrett there too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back