Analysis 2021 draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Shifter had Wilmot for the number 1 pick for next year but that said he had about 40 players for pick 1 this year
Shifter says a lot of things. I think he would've struggled to make top 10 if he stayed at half-back, if he moved further up the ground I still think he's outside top 5 maybe top 10.

Shifter had Wilmot for the number 1 pick for next year

I think that quote has been completely taken out of context. It was a comment on his date of birth, not ability.

i.e he is the last eligible player for this draft, and if he was born a few hours later, he would be the first eligible player for next year’s draft.

It wasn’t a projected ranking. We are getting the best player in next year’s draft regardless. ;)

So AFL site Draft wrap had Cal Twomey say Freo won the draft. Riley beveridge said he liked what Brisbane did basically summarising his tweet. He did say we are particularly good since we’re in the premiership window and these players are good pickups for that. Freo are further behind in the premiership race so per him while they had a good draft, thinks we did better. We better lean over and take that feather out of the hat.
No one else mentioned in that part of the conversation at the end.

No Hammelmann again. I am sad. I'm with Knightmare on this one for sure. He should be on a list (not ours at this point in time, although I wouldn't be against it). I think recruiters and clubs have a blind spot for mature age recruits.
If noone rookies him, sign him up the VFL imo

If noone rookies him, sign him up the VFL imo
Sound like a reasonable suggestion on the surface. But I'm not sure it would suit us or him. If he is overlooked in the rookie draft I am sure he would want to play for a club trying to win a premiership, where he is the primary target and is given the chance to kick bags week after week. If he comes as a top up to Brisbane, who are primarily about development, he is likely to be asked to play different roles, even switch to the backline some weeks.

Also would love to get a brief on the Lions hosted draft nights if someone who attended either has the time to do so. It would be much appreciated. :)

second-futurama.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love that kid. I reckon I might see if he can interview me though. Would give me a bit of an ego boost!

"So Scoman, it's great to have such a handsome, well balanced, super intelligent and astute judge of everything football on my show. You really are incredible, how is it that you are such a good poster?"

We like to use our last pick on player that has had little opportunity to develop, but goes ok anyway. Real roll of the dice stuff.

Won't win everytime, but when you do it feels good.
We rated Tunstill as 25 on our list.

Don't think he was criticising draft selection but rather our trading / list management. If we had an opportunity to trade out a future third round pick to get a player we rated in the first round (after weighing up our needs) and we didn't do it - that's a poor assessment of risk / reward imo. I think the fact that players drafted around this mark are quite speculative reinforces this.

Points for next year can always be manufactured, plans change (e.g. a player might request a trade next year) and rankings can always change (e.g. Ashcroft drops down the draft rankings).

But in saying that, I like the look of Tunstill I'm just not a fan of the way we have approached this draft knowing that a player we rated in the first round was available a couple of picks before us.

We tried to move up. No one was interested. So no, we never had the opportunity you're pre-supposing.

Also would love to get a brief on the Lions hosted draft nights if someone who attended either has the time to do so. It would be much appreciated. :)
I won't give a full account, as I've answered a lot here already, and I hope to get future invites to such events (as slim as that may be after my postings here).

Early on in the night the recruiter present gave a brief explanation on how our draft list/rankings is put together and why we don't have a "pure" ranking of the talent terms of best talent.

The example given was that if a club drafted best talent every year at it's picks, it would end up with a list somewhat similar to GWS's. A list stocked with high quality mids and deficiencies elsewhere. So even though we rated Ben Hobbs higher on our list, if both Hobbs and Wilmot were available at our pick, we would have still gone with Wilmot.

So our recruiting team put together a list that is heavily influenced by list and current/future best 22 needs based.

I have mentioned before that Conole has mentioned on podcasts that our draft lists and rankings are influenced by needs. Last nights insights just highlighted that its influenced a lot more than what I previously thought.

At the end of the night when Fagan spoke to us about the kids we picked, when discussing Lohman, he talked about how players need "tricks" to play at afl level, something that differentiates them from every other kid. As most of you know I read pretty much everything on the draft board, so even if I haven't seen a kid (which will go for 98% of the kids each year) I have a bit of knowledge on what type of player he is. A couple of the draft watchers and posters on the draft board were pretty high on Lohman, because he's very fast, very agile, can jump very high, and likes selling candy and turning defenders inside out. and he's tough. Those are his tricks, and Fagan referred to them.

Our recruiting and list management team has said since last year, that we're after speed, run and carry, across all three lines of the team. Well we filled that last night and tonight. It's just that there was a bit of angst with some of the clubs messaging for some people, along the way.

If you look at the younger players in the team, or on the edge of the team, we're starting to build a very different future team, that should play a very different brand of football. It just might be 5 or so years before we really see it full flight.

Wilmot, Lohman and Tunstill all poses speed. So do Sharp, the Coleman brothers, Robertson, Prior, Madden, TBerry, Rayner (on the burst), Bailey and Starcevich. So do both Ashcroft and Fletcher for next year. Our potential future team after Neale, Lyons, Rich and Zorko is going to be fast. A mix of Richmond and Melbourne.

I won't give a full account, as I've answered a lot here already, and I hope to get future invites to such events (as slim as that may be after my postings here).

Early on in the night the recruiter present gave a brief explanation on how our draft list/rankings is put together and why we don't have a "pure" ranking of the talent terms of best talent.

The example given was that if a club drafted best talent every year at it's picks, it would end up with a list somewhat similar to GWS's. A list stocked with high quality mids and deficiencies elsewhere. So even though we rated Ben Hobbs higher on our list, if both Hobbs and Wilmot were available at our pick, we would have still gone with Wilmot.

So our recruiting team put together a list that is heavily influenced by list and current/future best 22 needs based.

I have mentioned before that Conole has mentioned on podcasts that our draft lists and rankings are influenced by needs. Last nights insights just highlighted that its influenced a lot more than what I previously thought.

At the end of the night when Fagan spoke to us about the kids we picked, when discussing Lohman, he talked about how players need "tricks" to play at afl level, something that differentiates them from every other kid. As most of you know I read pretty much everything on the draft board, so even if I haven't seen a kid (which will go for 98% of the kids each year) I have a bit of knowledge on what type of player he is. A couple of the draft watchers and posters on the draft board were pretty high on Lohman, because he's very fast, very agile, can jump very high, and likes selling candy and turning defenders inside out. and he's tough. Those are his tricks, and Fagan referred to them.

Our recruiting and list management team has said since last year, that we're after speed, run and carry, across all three lines of the team. Well we filled that last night and tonight. It's just that there was a bit of angst with some of the clubs messaging for some people, along the way.

If you look at the younger players in the team, or on the edge of the team, we're starting to build a very different future team, that should play a very different brand of football. It just might be 5 or so years before we really see it full flight.

Wilmot, Lohman and Tunstill all poses speed. So do Sharp, the Coleman brothers, Robertson, Prior, Madden, TBerry, Rayner (on the burst), Bailey and Starcevich. So do both Ashcroft and Fletcher for next year. Our potential future team after Neale, Lyons, Rich and Zorko is going to be fast. A mix of Richmond and Melbourne.
Thanks mate, awesome to hear the club is doing these kind of things and even hearing a quick summary is very informative.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back