Game Day 2021 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Charlie Dean worth a rookie spot, although I imagine that we have filled up on picks.

We only get 2 rookies, and that's almost certainly Taylor and Anderson.
I'm wondering if we are going to rookie Anderson. Taylor of course we have to but we just took 2 highly rated inside mids. Could we be planning to rookie Charlie Dean? Would make sense in my universe.

Oh, forgot the name of the last pick already. My bad. LOL
TBH that's almost the way I'm feeling about our draft.
I just can't feel enthusiastic. It's not that I think they are bad players, more that it doesn't feel for example that we picked up a highly regarded slider, with only Roberts getting close to that category or even picked a boom or bust player that would generate excitement.
Sheldrick, looks good, but taken earlier than expected (even by him), Roberts, Warner, a feel good story taken around the expected mark and Rankin, who certainly for me, was a who?

We're all just amateurs on here, a couple of full games and a bunch of highlights guiding our hopes and dreams, but compared to other years I just can't get fired up (for good or bad) about this group.Obviously we have to put our faith in the professional recruiters and coaching stuff and I know I sound like a miserable bugger, but for me our draft this year all just seems a bit vanilla.

I just can't feel enthusiastic. It's not that I think they are bad players, more that it doesn't feel for example that we picked up a highly regarded slider, with only Roberts getting close to that category or even picked a boom or bust player that would generate excitement.
Sheldrick, looks good, but taken earlier than expected (even by him), Roberts, Warner, a feel good story taken around the expected mark and Rankin, who certainly for me, was a who?

We're all just amateurs on here, a couple of full games and a bunch of highlights guiding our hopes and dreams, but compared to other years I just can't get fired up (for good or bad) about this group.Obviously we have to put our faith in the professional recruiters and coaching stuff and I know I sound like a miserable bugger, but for me our draft this year all just seems a bit vanilla.

If we didn’t take Sheldrick the Cats would have was linked to them a bit the few hours prior. We didn’t reach that much on him maybe 2-3 spots but really at that range there’s stuff all between them.

This is a perfect draft for me. I’d personally have taken Taylor but the ones we took have massive upside and I like that

Perhaps the tonic is to think about what has netted most of our successful non-academy selections. Unsuspecting picks where the club has backed itself in. They've seen something that most of us and the pundits didn't see in these 17, 18 year olds.

2019 we got two talents we were absolutely ecstatic about in Gould & Taylor. This board was absolutely raving about how lucky we were to come away with such ripper steals. Since then, one was a miserable failure, the other hasn't amounted to much. We also had a top 5 pick that year who also hasn't amounted to much (so far.) So the big names don't always amount to the best returns.

And as I said pre-draft, I don't think this was an essential draft for us, as I believe most of the key pieces (besides key defender) were already on our list. So we didn't necessarily have to try to shoot for a player who will be looked back on as a top 5-10 player from this draft; simply some players who would complement our list. (I do wish we had made key defenders more of a priority but alas...)

I'm wondering if we are going to rookie Anderson. Taylor of course we have to but we just took 2 highly rated inside mids. Could we be planning to rookie Charlie Dean? Would make sense in my universe.

If we don’t select Anderson tomorrow in the rookie draft it means we have opted to select another Swans Academy player or not selected any academy player at all.

The only way we get another Cat A rookie list selection is if Sheather wasn’t promoted to the senior list which which means we can’t make a pre draft NSW nomination.

I suspect we have either moved Clarke to the rookie list or left one of McLean/Wicks on the Cat A rookie list.

Consider this:

If we drafted Jude Bolton today, how would you feel? He was a very good all-round mid as a junior, but not the “supreme athlete” that seem to create the most excitement these days.

I suspect the reaction of the board to Bolton, Fosdike, Kirk or Parker being drafted today … would be “meh” (with the odd melt).

But I feel we’ve drafted a group that are going to be genuinely good AFL footballers.

I really, really like this year’s draft crop.

Consider this:

If we drafted Jude Bolton today, how would you feel? He was a very good all-round mid as a junior, but not the “supreme athlete” that seem to create the most excitement these days.

I suspect the reaction of the board to Bolton, Fosdike, Kirk or Parker being drafted today … would be “meh” (with the odd melt).

But I feel we’ve drafted a group that are going to be genuinely good AFL footballers.

Same and next year looks a stacked KPP draft that’s when you take talls not in a weak tall draft with little exposure. We were actively smart.

Consider this:

… and I feel gormless journos all play follow-the-leader when assessing kids. When I’m truth, they don’t really know much at all.

There’s a tendency to feel a bit let down when we dont draft the media hyped kids - but our recruiters know far more than the journos.

Sheldrick is ready to go. Take a look at him. What a unit. Outplayed the number one pick in the draft when they went head to head. He'll play next year and win a rising star nomination.

I actually liked the footage of Rankin I saw (prior to forgetting about his existence 😂).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think I'll put this one here for posterity to laugh about later

SYDNEY SWANS

Picks (at the start of draft):
16, 31, 39, 69, 84, 89

Selections: Angus Sheldrick (18), Matthew Roberts (34), Corey Warner (40), Lachlan Rankin (58)

Added some much-needed midfield depth with two ball magnets. Sheldrick, a strong, tough inside midfielder that played superbly in big games this season, was a genuine curveball selection in the first round after many rival clubs expected him to go in the second round. Although it’s understood the Swans had plans to pick defender Tom Brown at Pick 18, only for the Tigers to pinch him with the previous selection. Roberts was a safe, reliable pick in the second round as he’s a natural footballer that isn’t necessarily quick but has good endurance, clean skills and a developing inside-outside balance. After picking two slower players, the Swans really needed an on-baller with some athleticism — and Warner is a genuine athlete as a hard-running, smooth-moving and left-footed wingman that’s drawn comparisons to Eagles star Andrew Gaff. For the Swans’ sake, hopefully their first two choices work out.

Grade:
C+ :rolleyesv1: :madv1:

SYDNEY SWANS

16, 31, 39, 69, 84, 89

Selections: Angus Sheldrick (18), Matthew Roberts (34), Corey Warner (40), Lachlan Rankin (58)

Added some much-needed midfield depth with two ball magnets. Sheldrick, a strong, tough inside midfielder that played superbly in big games this season, was a genuine curveball selection in the first round after many rival clubs expected him to go in the second round. Although it’s understood the Swans had plans to pick defender Tom Brown at Pick 18, only for the Tigers to pinch him with the previous selection. Roberts was a safe, reliable pick in the second round as he’s a natural footballer that isn’t necessarily quick but has good endurance, clean skills and a developing inside-outside balance. After picking two slower players, the Swans really needed an on-baller with some athleticism — and Warner is a genuine athlete as a hard-running, smooth-moving and left-footed wingman that’s drawn comparisons to Eagles star Andrew Gaff. For the Swans’ sake, hopefully their first two choices work out.

Grade:

Ben Waterworth gives us a C+ because he deems our picks risky and out of his deemed order. But gives Carlton who took just one player in Jessie Motlop at Pick 27 an A and Gold Coast an A for taking the skiny ruckman Mac Andrew at 5 and picking up a recycled Cat.

Clearly has a chip on the shoulder if you make out mock draft look stupid.

SYDNEY SWANS

16, 31, 39, 69, 84, 89

Grade:
No idea how this clown decided Sheldrick is a “slower player”.

Douche-bag masquerading as a journo.

SYDNEY SWANS

16, 31, 39, 69, 84, 89

Grade:
Wow! Who wrote that? It's like someone else wrote the last sentence and the grade.
So someone else had higher picks and got a better grading? Seriously? Kid stuff.

Perceived list needs can change quite quickly.

2 years ago on these messageboards, I remember us being fixated on getting a big inside midfielder in the 2019 draft. We were bemoaning Tom Green being attached to GWS and thinking about picking Flanders, reaching for Robertson, or wondering whether guys like Kemp/Young could become mids. But since then Warner is looking promising and Mills is playing mids.

Last year before the 2020 draft, I think the messageboards were worried where we were going to get young key position forwards from. And maybe take Thilthorpe and hope he develops into a KPF. Since then we drafted Logan and Amartey/McLean are starting to develop.

Even our ruck position looks a bit better than a year ago with Hickey/Ladhams and McLean/Amartey looking viable as first team players.

Last edited:
Sometimes its better to say nothing.... but I've never been one to follow good advice.

Firstly, dont get me wrong, we haven't drafted bad players. I can see the potential in all of them.

I just don't understand the mix of player we drafted or why we abandoned kicking skills as a pre requisite to being drafted.

Roberts is a good player but after getting Sheldrick, knowing Anderson is coming and expecting Murley, Dittmar or Long would be available at our 3rd there was no reason not to pick a point of difference player at our 2nd. If we had picked Howes, Bazzo or Taylor at our 2nd I'd have felt much better about this draft. My personal opinion is this draft haul doesn't move us forward and also doesn't plug some of our gaps

SYDNEY SWANS

16, 31, 39, 69, 84, 89

Grade:

Talk about stuck inside the echo chamber. Whatever the opposite of 'nailed it' is that was his Swans phantom draft:
In the mix: After losing George Hewett and Jordan Dawson during the exchange period, the Swans would also be looking to boost their midfield stocks — although they could do that in the second round. Josh Goater is a big chance to be picked here if still available, as would Darcy Wilmot, Campbell Chesser and Calder Cannons’ Zac Taylor. Sam Butler and Jacob Van Rooyen are also contenders.

I suspect Kinnear decided to keep the Swans' interest in Sheldrick under the radar. Sheldrick wasn't rated in any of the phantom drafts but he looks a beauty, being overlooked because of injury and not getting a lot of game time last year.

0f9c748fa69f9637a2d142a55f212fbe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheldrick and Roberts I think are brilliant picks. Both seemed to get a lot of huge rapts from other clubs fans. Both get a lot of the ball and are real competitors.

Warner I was always hoping we would pickup. I think he's the most likely to play next year because our wing is a little thin and he fits the bill.

Rankin I never heard of before but feels like that small defender a few were saying we needed!

Overall feels like a Dalrymple special. Grab the midfielders and a lot of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back