List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:

Yeah some really good insights in it. Highly recommend reading it.

To sum up from ROB
  • They believe in time Chesser will be able to play inside as well as outside.
  • Targeted speed in midfield
  • Thought my 'he was in my top 5' joke was hilarious and definitely didn't tire quickly
  • Clark could play next year but that's not why they drafted him

From what I've read most seem pretty happy with him as a player. It's just the shock of overlooking a big body midfielder in Johnson whom we all seemed to think would be a mid to late teens pick. It all just seemed to fit in really well with Johnson and we've gone down a different route.

But he's got speed and skills no doubt. And like I said above, no one has ever looked at a footballer or a team and said "he/they have too much speed" or "their skills are too good".

We do have good intel on MJ with the Horsley and Schofield links to Subi so they probably got a better opinion than B/F experts ..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great reading guys, my top 3 highlights:

1: Dylan82 out melting Dark Sharks.
2: Ochre's top 5.
3: The loser Cockburn lurkers that came here to celebrate yet another draft night youf win - shades of Peel's flag evening.

We do have good intel on MJ with the Horsley and Schofield links to Subi so they probably got a better opinion than B/F experts ..
Not that recruiters nail it every time, but there's a big difference between watching half an hour or even an hour's highlights of the U/18 champs and associated competitions a few weekends a year in comparison to being immersed in that world. I appreciate there are plenty of amateur football watchers who watch plenty of junior football, but that doesn't necessarily make one a good judge. In football - and all sports - some of the biggest nuffies I know watch an incredible number of games and consider themselves experts based on that alone.

In saying that there are no doubt plenty in the AFL world (and other sports) who work in roles such as recruitment, scouting, list management etc where it must be super hard to set metrics so there are guys who manage to skirt around making it look like they know what they are talking about when in fact they are really just winging it. I'm sure this wouldn't be particularly hard to do, especially if you were a big name player on the field in your playing days. Last couple of drafts not looking great? "Just didn't have the picks we wanted", Why are we losing players? "Salary cap is killing us". etc etc.

And even if you have access to picks and those picks don't work out - is that the recruiters fault or the club development? Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer never reached the heights envisioned of them, but they were pretty much the consensus number 1 picks of their draft, especially the latter two. Overwhelmingly recruiters with those number 1 picks would have picked the same three players.

😍😍😍
Open photo

This draft has shades of the way our off-field team has applied themselves over the last few years - stubbornly adopting an outdated gsameplan and lack of adjustment in match day tactics to quell the opposition. In others words, pure stubbornness.

I get this feeling that the team already had this significant draft plan in place with the picks we had and completely dismissed the fact that the draftees would slide from their predicted positions. Meanwhile the players that we desperately need and yet overlook slide and are snapped up by other clubs.

Would love to be proven wrong but to draft our first proper and pure midfielder at 62 when it is the biggest and most obvious hole in our list is absolutely baffling.

I don’t hate this draft overall. Picking up ports second rounder given we were clearly set on chesser was smart and a good value trade. We had some good gets late, but boy oh boy are we going to need to do something very quick and very special with our centre square.

The centre square outside of the ruck-man is a young man’s position (even guns normally move out of there from 30-31 as they lose athleticism) and is where premierships are won. In terms of future planning Nic is gone with no high level replacement in site. The only high level centre square mids we have moving forward are Kelly and Yeo who maybe have 2-3 years left leading a centre square group. To ensure continuity in this area we needed to draft serious on ball talents a year or so ago, as they typically take until 22-23 to come into their own. The reality is we haven’t done this so unless we trade in, we are going to have a pretty drastic drop off due to weakness in the most important part of the ground.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Potentially very sad on Shep, if it is the worst, is it too late to have an extra rookie pick? (Shep being ok is clearly the first priority here, so asking purely for a rule clarification).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back