Player Watch #37 Corey Warner - young Blood Brother

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Draft projection was between 30-50. Kicking Consistency and composure are the things he needs to work on.

If it gives you any comfort picked to go in exactly the same range as Chad...and that didn't turn out too bad.

Yep. We need to remember that Warner basically did not make the main team in his first year. It was his second year where he really showed what he can do.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Yep. We need to remember that Warner basically did not make the main team in his first year. It was his second year where he really showed what he can do.
2 preseasons make a huge difference. I think that Chad has been giving Corey a lot of insight into what's required and has been sharing his programs with him too.
Corey seems to me to have been making good use of it. Chad concentrated on doing what he needed to do and pretty obviously listened to the coaches so I think that bodes well for Corey.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
2 preseasons make a huge difference. I think that Chad has been giving Corey a lot of insight into what's required and has been sharing his programs with him too.
Corey seems to me to have been making good use of it. Chad concentrated on doing what he needed to do and pretty obviously listened to the coaches so I think that bodes well for Corey.

Yep. I remember this time last year not being sure about Chad as I was worried he would not be able to get enough of the ball. I was very wrong.

Perhaps the best but most unintended consequence of the uniting of brothers is the competitiveness.

I had a brother and let me tell you though the love was there, any time it came to anything competitive, we became mortal enemies. Maybe the Warner brothers won't go quite that far (they'll be teammates after all), but if they can drive each other to be better in the pursuit of being the best Warner, who knows what they could each achieve!

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Perhaps the best but most unintended consequence of the uniting of brothers is the competitiveness.

I had a brother and let me tell you though the love was there, any time it came to anything competitive, we became mortal enemies. Maybe the Warner brothers won't go quite that far (they'll be teammates after all), but if they can drive each other to be better in the pursuit of being the best Warner, who knows what they could each achieve!

So if a player kicks the ball to one of them the other is going to try and spoil it during the game "no way you are getting this mark over me"

So if a player kicks the ball to one of them the other is going to try and spoil it during the game "no way you are getting this mark over me"

Horse just needs to tell Chad before each game: "Picture your direct opponent is Corey and he's just eaten the last rainbow paddlepop"

Horse just needs to tell Chad before each game: "Picture your direct opponent is Corey and he's just eaten the last rainbow paddlepop"

Rainbow paddle pops are caramel flavoured.

I only learnt this last year, now my childhood is ruined.

Article just up from The West Australian;

“I was told this morning I would go in the low 30s and definitely wouldn’t go past Adelaide’s pick (36), then they picked someone else so I was getting a little bit nervous,” Corey said.
“It’s definitely a massive relief now it’s all over.”

The 18-year-old is confident he could complement Chad in the Swans’ midfield, with the pair chalk and cheese on the field with younger brother a classy outside type and older a tough nut inside player.
“It’s so good, it’s just surreal to be there with him,” Corey said.
“It’s a dream to play with him so I’d be very keen for that ... I think we could work pretty well together.”
“I’m really excited to learn off Ollie Florent, just with his outside run,” Corey said.

Two Warners could become four down the track with Corey warning 14-year-old Ashton and 11-year-old Troy, could become the best of the lot.

Playing at Adelaide or with his brother at the Swans? :think:

:thumbsu:

(I assume it was his manager who told him about Adelaide's interest, so once again, even with a brother of, it seems Sydney keeping their cards close to their chest).
so no mention of their sister playing ALFW?

Seriously, how long does it take for Chad to bring out an old jumper from his wardrobe for the obligatory post draft photo of Corey in Swans gear :rolleyes: ;)

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Seriously, how long does it take for Chad to bring out an old jumper from his wardrobe for the obligatory post draft photo of Corey in Swans gear :rolleyes: ;)

Pulled out the best Swans jumper going.

1637891368711.png

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
He looks ecstatic to join us. Such a refreshing seeing an interested kid just happy to be given the chance and not sulking like a petulant child

I’m already loving this whole Warner story. Not just the brothers at the club but the family seem genuinely nice and the mother especially seems thrilled that her two boys get to be together.

It’s a great story. Imagine if they won a premiership together? What a dream that would be!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
The family are absolutely stoked.
Interestingly, Travis the dad played for South Freo & they wear the red V on white jumper as well. He even had SF number plates on his ute.
Good family. Congrats, Swans, my 2nd team because of these boys.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The family are absolutely stoked.
Interestingly, Travis the dad played for South Freo & they wear the red V on white jumper as well. He even had SF number plates on his ute.
Good family. Congrats, Swans, my 2nd team because of these boys.
and hopefully also his grandfather, Graeme and grandmother in Nhill
Graeme played 270 senior games for the Nhill Tigers in the 1960s and 1970s, and twice represented the Wimmera league.
His son and Chad's father Travis also played with the Tigers, winning two best and fairests in the 1990s before moving to Perth.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Personally with the brothers on our list I think it would be nice for the family to relocate to Sydney to support them.

Oh and it just dawned on me that would mean that the two younger brothers (and sister) would be eligible for the Academy.
What a happy coincidence. :whistle:

Two Warners could become four down the track with Corey warning 14-year-old Ashton and 11-year-old Troy, could become the best of the lot.

Gimmeafree

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
No other team, no other sport
Personally with the brothers on our list I think it would be nice for the family to relocate to Sydney to support them.

Oh and it just dawned on me that would mean that the two younger brothers (and sister) would be eligible for the Academy.
What a happy coincidence. :whistle:

Can you imagine 4 of them playing together. The BT dad jokes would be almost unbearable. I’ll take a stab. “You have been 4warned”, “what a show by the Warner brothers”, and after they kick the winning goal, “well that’s all folks”

Can you imagine 4 of them playing together. The BT dad jokes would be almost unbearable. I’ll take a stab. “You have been 4warned”, “what a show by the Warner brothers”, and after they kick the winning goal, “well that’s all folks”

Does this mean I can bring an anvil and drop it on him?

Back