Game Day 2021 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Very happy with Sheldrick and Co. Warner. They worked well in combination for WA as a centreman and winger. The four WA lads will have a lot of fun training together in coming weeks.

I have a wait and see position on Roberts. Still, a kid with a record as a contested accumulator and who is said to have a good footy IQ is worth a punt.

Our midfield has been poor in recent seasons. The loss of George and Dawson will be keenly felt next year but at least the creaking midfield issue was addressed in the draft.

I was hoping we would get a 5th WA lad in Williams but we were pipped by the Weasels.

I was not thrilled by the Rankin pick but hope for the best. It struck me as a jab in the eye of the Academy, none of whom have the go home factor Rankin hinted at. If we want a back pocket I would rather we take a kid like Roseby and develop him.

One notable feature of recent recruiting has been the take no prisoners streak most of the youngsters have.

Rowbottom, Wicks, Jmac, The Chad, McLean, Gulden, Tmac, Campbell, Blakey, Ollie and (recently) Haywood all play with obvious full on intent. Sheather, who is yet to play but surely gets a crack next year, is a cannonball.

"Prime" Angus is a Leigh Mathews shaped wrecking ball who also happens to have a lot of skills. Oppo fans will curse him.

Corey (we are not Worthington) Warner like a Jmac is a winger who is hard at the ball and grins at physical pressure.

Tommy Papley must get a lot of fun watching an even bigger group of youngsters seemingly stamped with his hard nosed DNA.

Pre season training promises to be very competitive. The Coaches during intra club praccy matches will have to monitor the risks of physical damage.

Was there 0 KPP talent worth taking a punt on with one of our later picks?

Not much it seems. I reckon the lockdown affected the development of talls more than smalls.

Was hoping we would get Jack "Basher" Williams but the Eagles snapped him up ahead of our last pick. Williams is a KPP who can play fwd or back and can ruck.

Not much it seems. I reckon the lockdown affected the development of talls more than smalls.

Was hoping we would get Jack "Basher" Williams but the Eagles snapped him up ahead of our last pick. Williams is a KPP who can play fwd or back and can ruck.

Ah fair do's. Only really had a quick 2-3 minute look into all 4 draftees, but it does look like we drafted 4 mid's on the surface. lol. Pity there was not much in the way of KPP as I think they are always worth a punt, and given us something different to work with from this draft class.

Last edited:
Ah fair do's. Only really had a quick 2-3 minute look into all 4 draftees, but it does look like we drafted 4 mid's on the surface. lol.

No wuzzes. I did not follow it last night - had some wet paint to watch dry.

Yep, re the 4 draftees being mids, but they are really different types.

"Prime" Angus Sheldrick is a tough inside extractor with a sharp burst of pace who is adept on both sides and can dob a goal. Already has a great 'don't argue' fend.

Cory Warner is a classy classic winger.

Roberts is a smart all round mid and as has been suggested may be developed as a defender.

Rankin could be developed as a small defender.

Last edited:
Do we have space for 2 rookie spots or 3? Taylor is one of our picks, if we were really that into Dittmar he's still available

Taylor and two more, one of whom will most likely be Paddy Mac. It is all a bit confusing. Clarke's contract status and Naismith almost certainly to be placed on the Long Term Injury List are confounding factors.

Taylor and two more, one of whom will most likely be Paddy Mac. It is all a bit confusing. Clarke's contract status and Naismith almost certainly to be placed on the Long Term Injury List are confounding factors.
So Taylor and another in the rookie then Naismith on the LTI with McCartin taken during the supplementary period

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Taylor and another in the rookie then Naismith on the LTI with McCartin taken during the supplementary period

Yep. That is my guess. robbieando who follows all this very closely will hopefully set us all straight.

When reading the draft bios of our picks, and listening to KB's interviews, there are a couple of comments that seem to run as a thread through them all. "Works very hard" (or variations of) crop up in all of them.
This looks to be the value that is high on our priority for recruitment at the moment and it suggests that we are may think we already have the flair and now we need the substance.

Yep. That is my guess. robbieando who follows all this very closely will hopefully set us all straight.

Taylor and then a Cat B rookie from the academy (Anderson) then in the new year we place Naismith on the LTIL so Paddy can be picked up.

But I'm waiting on the final rookie list order as there either is someone on the rookie list that I wasn't expecting (Wicks/McLean) or Clarke was not re-signed

Taylor and then a Cat B rookie from the academy (Anderson) then in the new year we place Naismith on the LTIL so Paddy can be picked up.

But I'm waiting on the final rookie list order as there either is someone on the rookie list that I wasn't expecting (Wicks/McLean) or Clarke was not re-signed

Ta for that. Much appreciated.

Very happy with Sheldrick and Co. Warner. They worked well in combination for WA as a centreman and winger. The four WA lads will have a lot of fun training together in coming weeks.

I have a wait and see position on Roberts. Still, a kid with a record as a contested accumulator and who is said to have a good footy IQ is worth a punt.

Our midfield has been poor in recent seasons. The loss of George and Dawson will be keenly felt next year but at least the creaking midfield issue was addressed in the draft.

I was hoping we would get a 5th WA lad in Williams but we were pipped by the Weasels.

I was not thrilled by the Rankin pick but hope for the best. It struck me as a jab in the eye of the Academy, none of whom have the go home factor Rankin hinted at. If we want a back pocket I would rather we take a kid like Roseby and develop him.
The Rankin pick actually improved my mood about the draft. Warner is more outside too, but getting Rankin who can play on a wing went some way in addressing our needs rather than stockpiling insiders. He's not a back pocket, more half back/wing/small fwd.

When reading the draft bios of our picks, and listening to KB's interviews, there are a couple of comments that seem to run as a thread through them all. "Works very hard" (or variations of) crop up in all of them.
This looks to be the value that is high on our priority for recruitment at the moment and it suggests that we are may think we already have the flair and now we need the substance.
Beatson seems to pick players based off of 2 attributes - works hard and good athletism
Dalrymple seems to pick players based off 2 other attributes - good in traffic and clean off the ground

All 4 of our picks seem to fit the bill with those 4 attributes. It seems we value these 4 as must haves while other skills are nice to haves

Beatson seems to pick players based off of 2 attributes - works hard and good athletism
Dalrymple seems to pick players based off 2 other attributes - good in traffic and clean off the ground

All 4 of our picks seem to fit the bill with those 4 attributes. It seems we value these 4 as must haves while other skills are nice to haves

One of Roberts weaknesses is listed as athleticism. The other is disposal efficiency. That said, we must see a specific role for him, or we feel there's a lot of potential improvement there.

One of Roberts weaknesses is listed as athleticism. The other is disposal efficiency. That said, we must see a specific role for him, or we feel there's a lot of potential improvement there.

Simply put way too good to pass up at that range. His disposal is fine anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back